Favorite Athletes evah? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Favorite Athletes evah?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:18 pm

South Park Cows wrote:Football: Emmitt Smith, John Elway, Jay Novacek
Baseball: IvanRodriguez, Hank Blalock, Rusty Greer
Basketball: Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Spud Webb

yeah i guess i better add dirk to my list 8-o wasnt even thinking about current players
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canacuna » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:30 pm

Baseball: Jay Buhner. He's just a cool guy. Back in the day, he had a great bat AND arm. It definitely would have been Ken Girffey Jr. if it wasn't for all of his whining before he left. I liked Randy a lot too... man, he was fun to watch. Never really cared for A-Rod... especially not nowadays.

Basketball: Gary Payton. Great player all-around. I loved the way he played... even the trash talk. I remember in the finals against the Bulls he was trashing someone... I think it was Jordan... all the way into the Bulls huddle during a timeout. He had to be taken aside to the Sonics bench before he finally shut up. I also really liked Detlef Shrempf, Shawn Kemp (Jim McIlvaine !!! :-# !!!), Nate McMillan, and Hersey Hawkins. Yeah, the mid-nineties Sonics kicked ass.

Football: Cortez Kennedy. I'm too young to have seen the Zorn to Largent connection and there just really hasn't been anyone I've watched enough to really have an appreciation for. Also, anyone else I've liked has been cut, traded, or left via free agency. The only other player I like is Jon Kitna - but that's mostly because I've followed him since college at Central. Kennedy kicked asses for years as a 'Hawk and I liked him for doing so. Here's hopin' Hass is in Seattle for a long time.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Nilmerf » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:33 pm

Wayne Gretzky. I had different favourite players when I was rooting for various teams in various sports.. but looking back on it all, Gretzky will always be the greatest. In any sport. Ever. Nicest guy ever, most statistically dominant player ever (all sports) and has the championships to back it up.

Hockey: Wayne Gretzky, Steve Yzerman, Pat Lafontaine, Scott Niedermayer, Jarome Iginla.

Football: Jerry Rice.

Basketball: Steve Nash. (hometown!)
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TTTBone » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:13 am

Of course, Nitschke. B-)

Always loved Sidney Moncrief. The man had crazy, mad moves...before the era of mad one-on-one moves took over the NBA.

Greg Louganis. As a former diver, I can tell you the man was as close to absolute diving brilliance as we've seen ever. (and forget the whole sexuality thing, meaningless to the fact that the man was just an amazing athlete)

Jerry Rice. Not the most immediately likable guy IMO, but he does it right. Amazing talent combined with relentless hard work. Very hard to argue with.

Big Yount fan as far as baseball, but as I explore the history of the game some more, gotta love Ted Williams.

Hockey... I seem to remember that game. Skates and lost teeth, right? Kinda like soccer with the hooligans on ice. I defer... I know nothing.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby ljthockey » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:47 am

Football: Derrick Thomas, Christian Okoye
Basketball - Larry Bird, Kyle Korver
Hockey- Brett Hull, Nasuland, Ortemeyer, Macinnis.
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:23 am

Football-Jim Harbaugh. Easily my favorite Colts player. I've been a Colts fan since 1985 and Harbaugh was truly the first leader the other players on that team looked up to. That season in 1995, when we went to the AFC Championship, was amazing. It's something I'll never forget and always think fondly of. Marvin Harrison is a close second to Harbaugh. I've never seen a reciever do some of the things he's done. Also, Brandon Stokley, Steve Largent, Joe Montana, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders and Peyton Manning

Baseball-Kevin Seitzer was my first favorite baseball player. He wasn't the best ballplayer, but his attitude and persona was one I really latched on to in my early goings with baseball. Wally Joyner, Don Mattingly, Nolan Ryan, Ichiro Suzuki and Tony Gwynn also make my list.

Basketball-Spud Webb. Hands down my all-time favorite. Seeing him win the Slam Dunk Contest in '85 made me a fan forever. Add Clyde Drexler and Ray Allen to the list.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:35 am

Emmitt Smith, Dan Marino, Nolan Ryan, Mike Modano, Michael Finley, Dirk Nowitski, Troy Aikman, Darren Woodson, Darryl Johnston, Brett Favre...

and probably a few others I'm forgetting...

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ravage » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:25 am

Football-Favre, Biletnikoff, Largent

Baseball-Yount, Gorman Thomas, Bench, Munson, Ted Simmons, Cecil Cooper

Basketball-Brian Winters, Lanier
ravage
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby kanezfan11 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:49 pm

I don't really have any ultimate favorites in basketball or football, probably Shockey, Javon, Tiki, and Rice in football though.

For baseball I like a ton 'cause it's by far my favorite sport (expect to see some hating on that comment): Eric Chavez, Mark Teixiera, Jeter, Rivera, Tino, Soriano, Blalock, Hudson, Zito, Harden, Vladdy, Mulder, Sheffield, Beltre, Edgar Martinez (ultimate Yankee killer, but like him anyway), Posada, Joe Girardi, Ruben Sierra, Andruw Jones, RJ, etc.

Hate: Bonds, Jason Kidd, Mitchell, McNabb, Todd Pinkston, Schilling (among other Sox). <Schilling and Bonds the most out of those probably.

Hockey: Alexi Kovalev, Jagr, Brodeur, Richter, Messier, etc.

I'm forgetting some, but that's the best I could think of for now.
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:17 pm

Hockey- Dale Hawerchuk (Winnepeg Jets)

Basketball- BTW love the Dumars love huge Pistons fan here...gotta go Rodman (piston days Rodman)

Football- hands down Warren Moon (Houston Oilers)

Baseball- Jesse Barfield/Ozzie Smith ( I had to have one tie)
Blue Jays Cardinals
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk