Cap. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Tennessee Titans

Cap.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cap.

Postby Guttpuppy » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:43 am

Tennessee’s salary-cap situation could force the team to release as many as seven starters

The Titans appear to be on the verge of a major personnel overhaul this offseason, ready and willing to dump several key veterans — as many, perhaps, as seven starters from last season — because of their high salaries and the team’s tough salary-cap situation.

According to various reports, the team will be about $23 million over the cap next season, and the Titans’ salary purge could mirror what the Ravens did in 2002, one season after winning the Super Bowl. The Titans, of course, have fallen short in recent years, losing the Super Bowl following the 1999 season, falling to the eventual-champion Patriots in the playoffs last season and plummeting to a 5-11 record in 2004 amid major losses because of injury.

The team now is paying for its overspending the past few years, and several veterans could be in serious danger. Among them: WR Derrick Mason, CB Samari Rolle, DT Kevin Carter, FS Lance Schulters and both starting offensive tackles, Brad Hopkins and Brad Miller. Even PK Joe Nedney could be cut.

The most unwieldy contract numbers belong to Carter ($13.97 million), Rolle ($9.81 million), Miller ($9.32 million) and Hopkins ($8.11 million). Sources close to the team say Hopkins could stay put under a reworked deal. The team would love to bring back Mason, a favorite of the organization, but not likely at his $6.65 million figure. Veterans such as Mason and ORG Benji Olson ($4.86 million cap number) could be approached to take a pay cut, but Mason and Rolle have balked at such moves in the past.

Then there’s the situation with QB Steve McNair, who’s due to count $12.63 million against next year’s cap. McNair injured his sternum for the second time in his career last season and openly pondered retirement. Titans GM Floyd Reese told PFW last month that the team will let McNair be for the time being and allow him the space to make a decision on whether to return or retire. And though sources feel McNair will not walk away just yet, the longer the team is in limbo over his future, the harder it will be to keep the higher-priced veterans around and carve out a long-term plan. There are some who feel the team’s roster purge might lead McNair to retire instead of leading a rebuilding charge.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:49 pm

Yeah... I was reading the cap figures earlier and was shocked at how far over the Titans are.

Sounds to me like somebody needs to get fired... or at least taken out back and beaten with a switch.

Any news about a possile change in the execs in Tennessee?

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby NittanyLions » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:33 pm

Yep, a good friend of mine is a Tennessee fan and he was telling me about this. I think theyll be ok as far as McNair and Mason are concerned, mainly bc of the emergence of Volek and Bennett. This is Calico's year though. Im thinking I might avoid Brown, the O-line wont be good and I think theyll be playing from behind. Volek might be a steal though.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The_Steel_Curtain » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:56 pm

I was surprised that there over that much. I tihnk the Titans should get rid of McNair hes nothing now. Volek,Drew and Chris Brown are the furutre.
[url=http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs17&d=05081&f=Steelers04.jpg]Image[/url]
The_Steel_Curtain
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Slingblade » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:35 pm

Volek isn't that young. I think he is 28 or 29? We are still in need of a QB to prep for the future.
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The_Steel_Curtain » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:14 pm

Still has 5 or 6 good years left.
[url=http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs17&d=05081&f=Steelers04.jpg]Image[/url]
The_Steel_Curtain
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:42 pm

The_Steel_Curtain wrote:Still has 5 or 6 good years left.

I agree, Volek can become the league's next Trent Green. Green didn't really start to become a good quarterback until his late twenties and now he's closing in on 35 years of age. Today he's still one of the better quarterbacks in the league, so Volek can certainly follow in his footsteps. It's not like he doesn't have some talent around him. Troupe, Brown, Bennett and Calico aren't exactly slouches, even if they are a bit young.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Tennessee Titans