Hall of Fame. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Hall of Fame.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Hall of Fame.

Postby Guttpuppy » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:23 pm

NFL.com wire reports
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (Feb. 5, 2005) -- Dan Marino and Steve Young made it a great day for quarterbacks when both were elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Marino, the most prolific passer in NFL history, and Young, whose accuracy and speed made him one of football's most versatile QBs, were joined Saturday by Benny Friedman, an early-era quarterback, and Fritz Pollard.

Each received at least 80 percent of the votes from the panel of sports writers and broadcasters.

Friedman and Pollard were nominated by the senior committee and chosen by the full panel.

Induction ceremonies will be Aug. 7 in Canton, Ohio.

"It's an incredible honor," Marino said. "It's humbling to think of growing up wanting to be a professional football player.

"Let's overrun Canton with Dolphins fans. I invite you all to Canton and to have some fun."

When Marino left the Miami Dolphins after the 1999 season, he had NFL bests of 4,967 completions, 8,358 passes, 61,361 yards and 420 touchdowns. His record of 48 TD passes in a season was recently broken by Peyton Manning.

Although he never won a Super Bowl, Marino was the 1984 league MVP, made three All-Pro teams and nine Pro Bowls. When he retired, he owned 21 NFL marks, including most seasons with 3,000 yards or more passing (13); most yards passing in one season (5,084 in '84, the only year he won a conference championship); and most games with 300 yards or more passing (63).

Young, the first modern-era left-handed quarterback elected, won the 1995 Super Bowl with San Francisco and was the league's most valuable player in 1992 and '94. A clever runner with a strong arm and great field vision, Young made seven Pro Bowls and was a three-time All-Pro. He held the highest passer rating in league history (96.8) when he retired in '99. He also set the highest single-season rating of 112.8, which Manning also broke this season.

"Not many Hall of Famers come out of Greenwich, Conn.," Young said with a chuckle. "I took a unique road, starting with being left-handed. I had a college coach, LaVell Edwards, who took a chance on a wild, crazy left-handed running quarterback from Connecticut."

Pollard not only was the first black head coach in the NFL, in 1921, but a superb player, too. A running back, he led the Akron Pros to the fledgling league's 1920 championship with an undefeated record.

He later organized the Chicago Brown Bombers, an independent team of black players that barnstormed the country from 1927-33.

Friedman played for four teams from 1927-34 and was one of the early NFL's great quarterbacks. A contemporary of Red Grange, he also was a strong draw at the box office. Giants owner Tim Mara purchased the Detroit Wolverines, for whom Friedman played in 1928, not only to get him in New York's lineup but to fill the stands.

"We both appreciate and honor the people who played in another era," Young said, speaking for Marino, as well. "You're talking about having a passion for the game. We're here on the backs of so many other players.

"This is important Fritz Pollard and what he meant for the game. There's a foundation there we are able to join arms with."

Michael Irvin and Harry Carson, the other two finalists, did not get the required votes for induction.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby goleafsgo96 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:26 pm

and art Monk gets overlooked again :,-(
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bennett4prez » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:30 pm

goleafsgo96 wrote:and art Monk gets overlooked again :,-(

The Bert Blyleven of the NFL.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:57 pm

$#%@#$!%#$@%

Aaaaaaah! How could they overlook Art Monk again? Not to mention Michael Irvin. They'll put Lynn Swann in the Hall of Fame, but not Irvin? No Monk? I'm ticked! :-# :-# :-#
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:26 pm

I'm beginning to think Art will never get in.

Screw the Hall of Fame!!! :-#
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby defianthart » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:31 pm

yeah i cant believe BOTH art monk and michael irvin got looked over...
[u]Vince Lombardi Dynasty League(cafe)[/u]
Coweta Dirty Birds: Runner-Up

[u]The Chosen Dynasty League(money)[/u]
Zoso's Ringers: Champs
defianthart
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mutantseabass » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:32 pm

Honestly i dont think that Monk will ever get in, i love the guy and he deserves to be in, but for some reason he gets overlooked. Irvin doesnt deserve to get in on first ballot. Young is one of my faves and im glad to see him in the Hall.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby goleafsgo96 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:05 pm

I can see why Irvin doesnt get in on his first ballot, but i mean what number was that for Monk? 5th all time in receptions, i know its a stat, but you gotta let that dude in!
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:16 pm

No kidding... why is Art Monk not in the HOF yet?

But screw Irvin... he would only taint its Halls... I liked what the guy added to our team... but he's a pompous jerk. Plus all the other stuff...

Do you know how many away game/parole officer jokes I've had to endure as a Dallas fan? Thanks, Irvin. :-#

That being said, Irvin should probably be in... though I dislike the man... but NOT before Art Monk.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mtryanks12 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:19 pm

I'm not surprised that MArino and Young made it in, they were so amazing, I condidered them to be shoe-ins. Art Monk does deserve it, though, and hopefulyl he'l get in soon.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk