Hall of Fame. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Hall of Fame.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:22 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:Do you know how many away game/parole officer jokes I've had to endure as a Dallas fan? Thanks, Irvin. :-#

Don't lose the intensity....Don't lose that intensity.......

Don't lose the intensity.

Does anyone else remember when he said that other than me? I swear I use that Irvin line all the time, and people look at me like they have no idea what I am talking about. Well, I suppose people do that a lot of the time anyway, but this is different. It was right after he got arrested somewhere, and that was the only thing he would say to the reporters as he got into the car. I just thought it was a really funny statement. :-b

I'm glad Steve got in. He had to wait behind Montana for a long time, but when he finally got to start, he made every game a joy to watch for us 49ers fans. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby chaindog35 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:28 pm

monk and irvin should both be in, monk this time and irvin in the future.
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1)

Postby MeShawn » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:09 pm

Have faith, Monk and Irvin will get in soon enough. Good to see Marino and Young get in the HOF.
MeShawn
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:17 pm

I was mostly pissed that Derrick Thomas didn't get in, he might not be as deserving as some of the other guys but I used to love watching him play.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chaindog35 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:47 pm

yeah, Thomas was a solid player. It was a shame how he passed away.
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mutantseabass » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:56 pm

Derrick Thomas was a beast, reminded me alot of LT minus the coke rage.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Goatwhacker » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:08 pm

Am I the only one that thinks these old-timers committees get a little carried away? I mean Benny Friedman, a guy who played for only seven years, gets in the HOF? Looking at his stats, his last three years weren't even that hot because he hurt his knee. This is like putting Terrell Davis in the HOF. Then many other players, like some of those mentioned in this thread, don't get in.

I see the same thing happening in the baseball HOF. I think these committees just end up finding somebody to put in in order to justify their own existence.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hankey2mlh » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:27 pm

Goatwhacker wrote:Am I the only one that thinks these old-timers committees get a little carried away? I mean Benny Friedman, a guy who played for only seven years, gets in the HOF? Looking at his stats, his last three years weren't even that hot because he hurt his knee. This is like putting Terrell Davis in the HOF. Then many other players, like some of those mentioned in this thread, don't get in.

Players and their stats can only be fairly judged within the context of their time. Friedman played at a time when not only the ball (which was shaped more like a watermelon) worked against him but so did offensive philosophies and defensive rules. Despite the rougness of the game at that time, Friedman never missed a game. From 1927-30 Friedman threw for 50 percent more yardage than the next-best passer in the league and more than twice as many touchdowns. Wellington Mara once described Friedman as "the Johnny Unitas of his day", and Red Grange said that Friedman was "the greatest passer that ever lived"...
IMO Friedman should have been elected to the Hall of Fame decades earlier, and it's nice to see him get in with another very deserving old-timer...
hankey2mlh
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby awwchrist » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:17 pm

There's gotta be a point where the NFL induction committee looks at the congested highway of players who deserve to be in the hall of fame and change their limit.

I've just never really agreed with the necessity of limitation. Same with baseball.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:54 pm

Is anyone surprised that Irvin got snubbed? Hell if we're going to keep Bob Hayes out, let's just keep every Cowboy ever from getting in.

No Emmitt, no Aikman, no Irvin, no Woodson, no Larry Allen, NO ONE.

It's a miracle Tony Dorsett got in.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk