Hall of Fame. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Hall of Fame.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mutantseabass » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:00 pm

bagobonez wrote:Is anyone surprised that Irvin got snubbed? Hell if we're going to keep Bob Hayes out, let's just keep every Cowboy ever from getting in.

No Emmitt, no Aikman, no Irvin, no Woodson, no Larry Allen, NO ONE.

It's a miracle Tony Dorsett got in.

You really thought that Irvin would get in on his first ballot?

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby goleafsgo96 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:10 pm

bagobonez wrote:Is anyone surprised that Irvin got snubbed? Hell if we're going to keep Bob Hayes out, let's just keep every Cowboy ever from getting in.

Im sure not surprised. If Monk STILL isnt in, why should Irvin get in on his first?

Ah hell, ill just admit. I pay the voters to make sure no cowboys get in, as i pay the refs every eagles game. Im sorry, ill stop doing it. I swear. End of story.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Goatwhacker » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:46 pm

Cowboy hall of famers

Herb Adderley (1980) - 1970-1972
Lance Alworth (1978) - 1971-1972
Mike Ditka (1988) - 1969-1972
TONY DORSETT (1994) - 1977-1987
Forrest Gregg (1977) - 1971
TOM LANDRY (1990) - 1960-1988
BOB LILLY (1980) - 1961-1974
Tommy McDonald (1998) - 1964
MEL RENFRO (1996) - 1964-1977
TEX SCHRAMM (1991) - 1960-1989
Jackie Smith (1994) - 1978
ROGER STAUBACH (1985) - 1969-1979
RANDY WHITE (1994) - 1975-1988
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:13 am

hankey2mlh wrote:Players and their stats can only be fairly judged within the context of their time. Friedman played at a time when not only the ball (which was shaped more like a watermelon) worked against him but so did offensive philosophies and defensive rules. Despite the rougness of the game at that time, Friedman never missed a game. From 1927-30 Friedman threw for 50 percent more yardage than the next-best passer in the league and more than twice as many touchdowns. Wellington Mara once described Friedman as "the Johnny Unitas of his day", and Red Grange said that Friedman was "the greatest passer that ever lived"...
IMO Friedman should have been elected to the Hall of Fame decades earlier, and it's nice to see him get in with another very deserving old-timer...

That was a really nice read. Nice one, hankey. I think Friedman deserved to get in along with Young and Marino. I'm just stunned that greats like Art Monk, Derrick Thomas and Michael Irvin aren't joining them. I am pretty confident Irvin will get in soon. If DT were to go in, I figured this was the year it would have happened. Now I'm a little skeptical. Monk is just killing me though. That guy was amazing and when he retired, he was easily in the top 3 of every statistical category for wideouts. Just a shame he isn't in yet.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:19 am

Maybe Deion can at least still get in since he spent half his career with other teams besides Dallas.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Football Newbie » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:24 am

You and your conspiracies. Larry Allen is still freaking playing, emmit retired like, what, 15 minues ago?
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby awwchrist » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:33 am

Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:34 am

Of course Benny Friedman deserves to be in the hall! If not for his work with Detroit, then for the fine job he did playing a phsychiatrist on MASH. :-b

But seriously, he does still hold an NFL record. (I'm pretty sure) He holds the record for the only QB to lead his team in passing and rushing TDs for a season. 1927 I believe.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby hankey2mlh » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:26 am

moochman wrote:But seriously, he does still hold an NFL record. (I'm pretty sure) He holds the record for the only QB to lead his team in passing and rushing TDs for a season. 1927 I believe.

You are right, but he didn't only lead his team in passing and rushing TDs for a season (there are probably a few more QBs who accomplished that feat), he led the NFL. I think it was in 1928 though.
hankey2mlh
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Goatwhacker » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:49 am

hankey2mlh wrote:
moochman wrote:But seriously, he does still hold an NFL record. (I'm pretty sure) He holds the record for the only QB to lead his team in passing and rushing TDs for a season. 1927 I believe.

You are right, but he didn't only lead his team in passing and rushing TDs for a season (there are probably a few more QBs who accomplished that feat), he led the NFL. I think it was in 1928 though.

So one REALLY good year and three other good ones make HOF material? Maybe we should put Joe Charboneau and Mark Fidrych in the baseball HOF. A better example would be Denny McLain - he had a monster 31 win season plus a few other good ones, but isn't in the HOF.

A HOF should be HARD to get into otherwise you cheapen it. I remember years where 7 guys got into the football HOF - give me a break.

Besides I never liked that psychiatrist on MASH - those were the episodes where Alan Alda gets all weepy until you want to kick his ass around the room and tell him to get a grip. :-)
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk