I commend the Philadelphia Eagles. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

I commend the Philadelphia Eagles.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby fantasizing » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:57 pm

bagobonez wrote:
fantasizing wrote:So maybe TO was justified in screaming "Relax! Relax!" to McNabb on the sidelines. If the Philly make it again to the superbowl, McNabb will be fine.

I'm not so sure. Every year that the Eagles don't win a Super Bowl is another year that the pressure is mounting. They've been the favorites in the NFC for three years now and have no rings to show for it. I think the pressure gets even more intense from here on out.

True. But the mark of a "Great" champion is one that can overcome the pressure and adversity and prevail in the toughest of situations. It seems to be me that TO is up to that task but McNabb remains a question mark. Having said that, McNabb wasn't all that bad, it's just those 3 INTs absolutely killed Philly's chances.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Football Newbie » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:03 pm

fantasizing wrote:
bagobonez wrote:
fantasizing wrote:So maybe TO was justified in screaming "Relax! Relax!" to McNabb on the sidelines. If the Philly make it again to the superbowl, McNabb will be fine.

I'm not so sure. Every year that the Eagles don't win a Super Bowl is another year that the pressure is mounting. They've been the favorites in the NFC for three years now and have no rings to show for it. I think the pressure gets even more intense from here on out.

True. But the mark of a "Great" champion is one that can overcome the pressure and adversity and prevail in the toughest of situations. It seems to be me that TO is up to that task but McNabb remains a question mark. Having said that, McNabb wasn't all that bad, it's just those 3 INTs absolutely killed Philly's chances.

3 ints in the super bowl is horrible, 1 was in garbage time granted, but 2 were all his fault. Unacceptable.
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bagobonez » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:10 pm

fantasizing wrote:
bagobonez wrote:

Yeah, TO didn't seem phazed by the pressure. In fact, he seemed to thrive in it. At least for McNabb's sake it was a learning experience, and he does have actual Super Bowl experience now and will have that under his belt should he ever make it to the Bowl again.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby maddog60 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:15 am

Football Newbie wrote:3 ints in the super bowl is horrible, 1 was in garbage time granted, but 2 were all his fault. Unacceptable.

I dont think there was any garbage time in that game for the Eagles. Every play counted. However, that final interception had nothing to do with McNabb. It was a well thrown ball, that Freddie Mitchell in his infinite wisdom decided to tip UP to Rodney Harrison. Can't really blame the QB for that one.

The other two however literally meant the game as both came when in a 4th down situation Akers could've easily kicked a FG.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:32 am

interesting comparison -- anyone who is interested should take a look at the raiders path to glory under madden -- they had their failures too.

From what I understand mcnabb has problems in humid atmospheres -- heard he did the same thing in the gator bowl -- could be wrong though.

the thing with the picks, those weren't the patriots, those were badly thrown balls.

mcnabb screwed up -- period.

but how is he the biggest choker if no one else can beat the patriots either? He did play them much tighter than anyone else did.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bagobonez » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:15 pm

eaglesrule wrote:interesting comparison -- anyone who is interested should take a look at the raiders path to glory under madden -- they had their failures too.

From what I understand mcnabb has problems in humid atmospheres -- heard he did the same thing in the gator bowl -- could be wrong though.

the thing with the picks, those weren't the patriots, those were badly thrown balls.

mcnabb screwed up -- period.

but how is he the biggest choker if no one else can beat the patriots either? He did play them much tighter than anyone else did.

Isn't pretty much any pass that's intercepted a badly thrown ball? Of course there are those passes where it's thrown perfectly to the WR, and the WR bobbles it up and it gets picked.

Hey, honestly I can't blame McNabb. The Patriots make pretty much every QB look like a high schooler, Peyton Manning included.

To McNabb's credit, his 300+ yards and 3 TD's were amazing. Most people don't put up those kinds of numbers on teh Patriots, interceptions or not. ANd McNabb's TD passes were PERFECTLY thrown. That one to Westbrook was just spectacular, where a Patriot dove from each side to knock it away, and it sliced right in between them into Westbrook's hands for a TD. That was a thing of beauty.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:22 pm

I hear what you are saying -- to say

"it was a badly thrown ball" makes it explain away. But part of being good is not throwing said ball in the first place...

However, it wasn't like the patriots scheme forced those two as such.

The play call seemed good -- westbrook had the guy beat, mcnabb threw it to the right receiver, just shorted it.

no excuses, Im just saying that it wasn't some exotic thing the pats did on that one, it was a mistake of mechanics/excution -- not intellect.

I think we have all seen the "intellect" type picks -- the ones where you are like -- "who the hell was that to"?
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bagobonez » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:23 pm

I think the Patriots' schemes are what got McNabb off his game though. They expected the Patriots to come out in their traditional 3-4. Instead they came out in a 4-3, with the two ends being linebackers. They had 5 linebackers and 2 D-linemen on the field for much of the game.

I don't think McNabb or Reid expected that and had no answer for it. Plus the pass rush had McNabb feeling nervous, and that's probably why he lobbed those passes up there. He's not used to having people breathe down his neck all the time, and for some reason he was too scared ro run or something.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting