MVP? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

MVP?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby awwchrist » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:39 pm

MVP doesn't belong to a member of the losing team. Not even debatable.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:41 pm

Its happened before...
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby awwchrist » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:44 pm

I'm sure it has.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby goleafsgo96 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:07 pm

Definately dont agree with the "cant give the MVP to a member of the losing team" thing.

That said, id give it to Harrison for tonight. Branch a close second.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:14 pm

I'd give it to Harrison. Harrison kept Philly off the scoreboard with his first INT, and sealed the deal with his second INT, as well as holding up LJ Smith so Gay could come in and force the fumble.

Branch is a very close 2nd place though. He and Dillon were practically all the Patriots' offense had.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GB Packer Fan 2004 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:00 am

Could have gone to either Branch or Harrison.

Looks like they did a good job ;-D
GB Packer Fan 2004
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Shaffe » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:02 am

my mvp ballot would've gone like this:

1 - harrisson
1a - branch
2 - owens
3 - dillon

can't agree with the "mvp can't be on a losing team", look at a couple of years ago when JSG won the conn smythe for the sharks even though they lost the stanley cup. owne played great tonight and, at least in my mind, gained a lot of respect. i never really hated the guy, but i'll at least be neutral to semi-supporting him for now...until he does something stupid that is.
Shaffe
Shaffe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Postby UNDEFEATED » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:23 am

Branch deserves it! Because he was jipped last super bowl. And they are now paying it back. He and braady should have shared it last season. IF not kept it to himself. 10 catches 143 yards and a TD. All ten of those catches were CLUTCH receptions. Valuable receptions. Brady had a monster game but stole ALL the glory. It was owed to Branc by the NFL. Branch's impact on the last superbowl was more profound. But he did not get the award. Anyways i know it should only be based on one games stats. And he deserved it. Brady today was a shadow of last season's superbowl.

Harrison's 7 tackles 2 ints and sack. Are not as appealing as the offensive stats. Huge impact onthe game but still.

losing team today does not deserve MVP award. This means TO. Even though he looked good out there. Nobody should ever question him AGAIN!

little side note: Did you guys TO chasing the pats db after the INT in the endzone(1st mcnabb pick, i think).**that was taken back** He was straining to chase him down. TO would not have been able to take him down. let alone catch up to a fairly slow int return.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cooner » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:35 pm

i was voting for Branch as well. The problem with Harrison is that it's so hard to give a defensive player an MVP award. Ok, ok, hold off, I hear the lighters flicking on your blowtorches and flame-throwers, but wait one second. It's not that the defensive side can't (or doesn't) dominate a game, or win a game for a team, but it's hard to give a single player the MVP when a lot of the stats that give him a big game are somewhat lucky. It wasn't like Harrison made multiple exceptionally athletic plays to get the turnovers- he was in the right place at the right time to catch Donovan's lame ducks. Just as deserving as Harrison (I would argue more so) is a defensive line that caused McNabb and the Eagles O-line trouble all game. Just as deserving are the coordinators who designed a defense to cover Westbrook so well. So to pick one player who had a solid game, but not singularly spectacular since he was simply playing his role in a unit, is rather tough. While some of the same limitations apply on the offensive side of the line (namely a good line), the skill players on offense play a much more individual game than the defensive players, making it easier to identify one of them as the MVP.

On another note, in my opinion, it's impossible to give the MVP to a player who could have won the game, but made too many mistakes along the way. For instance, even if McNabb had sped up the offense in the last drive, scored in 2.5 minutes instead of 4, gotten the ball back, and driven the field to score again and win the game, I would have had a hard time giving him the MVP thanks to the huge number of mistakes he made all game. Similarly, had Brady played a good game for the entire game, the Eagles wouldn't have even been in the game thanks to their many mistakes. I just have a hard time giving the MVP to a guy who gives the other team a chance to win, and I think both QBs did that. That leaves Branch (or had the Eagles won, TO). So I'm glad the voters got it right, Branch had a great game and deserves the hardware.
Best... fantasy advice... EVER. :D

[quote]Always play the players who will get you the most points[/quote]
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NittanyLions » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:52 pm

Branch, he has REALLY come through for the throughout this postseason. Brady didnt look very impressive IMO. Bailey played well but that last INT shouldnt even be counted.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting