Legacy, not a Dynasty - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Legacy, not a Dynasty

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mtryanks12 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:30 pm

their great management is what's helping them so much. without them, they'd be the titans in terms of the salary cap.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J2thez929 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:34 pm

stomperrob wrote:
J2thez929 wrote: the parody in the NFL

There's parody in Detroit, San Fran, Miami and Cleveland - for the rest of the NFL there's parity
Sorry, just couldn't resist that one! ;-)

LOL! My bad. I guess I deserved that one for my typo :-b
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JohnnyUnitas » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:14 am

Yes the Patriots are working their way around the salary cap, but that's just the way it has to be in the NFL nowadays. Still they deserve all the respect as the first dynasty of the 21st century. Much like the Cowboys of the 90s, the 49ers of the 80s and so on.
JohnnyUnitas
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:43 am

Transmogrifier wrote:Yes, the Pats are definitely "Something handed down from an ancestor or a predecessor or from the past."

:-?

Who would the ancestor be - Steve Grogan? :-D

In any case, I guess it depends on how you define dynasty. If you consider the 49ers, Steelers and Cowboys of yesterday to be dynasties, the Patriots qualify. If you think only a longer run, such as the Boston Celtics had in the '60s, counts, then the NFL has yet to see a dynasty in its modern era.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:24 am

Arlo wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:Yes, the Pats are definitely "Something handed down from an ancestor or a predecessor or from the past."

:-?

Who would the ancestor be - Steve Grogan? :-D

In any case, I guess it depends on how you define dynasty. If you consider the 49ers, Steelers and Cowboys of yesterday to be dynasties, the Patriots qualify. If you think only a longer run, such as the Boston Celtics had in the '60s, counts, then the NFL has yet to see a dynasty in its modern era.

Agreed, Arlo. Criticizing the Pats for how they manipulate the salary cap--when other teams do the same thing, just not as well--is rather absurd.

The Pats are a dynasty, right now.
Brady: a "very mediocre QB" - no1cowboysfan

Mitchell: "To me, the Patriots are not that good. ... We're the better team... A good team crushes that Patriot team. I'm telling you, they're not that good.'
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:40 pm

Hey Trans, I like the sig... though I really don't know where you're going with posting my quote. Seeing as how its true, and its not exactly like I'm the only one who thinks so.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:56 pm

well then by that standard, the bulls weren't a dynasty. they had two seperate 4 year-runs where they won 3 championships.

I never thought a dynasty meant that you had to run off 4 championships in a row -- but rather have a fairly long time of coninued excellence with morew than one championships thrown in -- not talking a team that comes from nowhere, wins two and then fades.

But i consider the 49ers to be a dynasty -- they were good forever, won a few champiosnhips and always made the playoffs/were a threat to win it all.

football, with its single elimination format is simply too hard to repeat like that. which is why the pats definitely qualify.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:05 pm

eaglesrule wrote:well then by that standard, the bulls weren't a dynasty. they had two seperate 4 year-runs where they won 3 championships.

I never thought a dynasty meant that you had to run off 4 championships in a row -- but rather have a fairly long time of coninued excellence with morew than one championships thrown in -- not talking a team that comes from nowhere, wins two and then fades.

But i consider the 49ers to be a dynasty -- they were good forever, won a few champiosnhips and always made the playoffs/were a threat to win it all.

football, with its single elimination format is simply too hard to repeat like that. which is why the pats definitely qualify.

The Atlanta Braves are a dynasty! Er, sorry, one championship in a long run of excellence probably doesn't qualify.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:29 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:Hey Trans, I like the sig... though I really don't know where you're going with posting my quote. Seeing as how its true, and its not exactly like I'm the only one who thinks so.

Why am I quoting you? Because it's laughable.

You can try and argue that Brady isn't as good as Manning or McNabb or whatever player you want to argue--although I'd strenuously disagree--but you are arguing that Brady is mediocre.

Do you know what that means?

Mediocre: "Moderate to inferior in quality; ordinary"

I'd love to hear your argument on how Brady is moderate to inferior in quality. Please, explain.

Mitchell: "To me, the Patriots are not that good. ... We're the better team... A good team crushes that Patriot team. I'm telling you, they're not that good.'
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:42 pm

I should add: You didn't even say he was mediocre. You said he was very mediocre!!

Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk