Bye Bye Romeo! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bye Bye Romeo!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bye Bye Romeo!

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:44 am

hmm he wants to institute a 3-4. Derrick Johnson anyone?

CLEVELAND (AP) - New England defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel accepted an offer to coach the Cleveland Browns, his agent told The Associated Press shortly after the Patriots' Super Bowl victory Sunday night.

Joe Linta said Browns president John Collins called Crennel "about two minutes" after the Patriots beat the Philadelphia Eagles to offer him his first head coaching job.

"He has accepted, pending us working out a contract," Linta said from Jacksonville, Fla. "Hopefully, we can get it done quickly and he can begin putting together a staff."

Linta said he'll be on a 6:30 a.m. Monday flight to Cleveland and will go straight to the team's headquarters in suburban Berea to begin contract talks.

As long as things go well, the Browns will introduce Crennel as their 11th full-time coach - and first black coach - in team history on Tuesday.

Linta said he will seek a five- or six-year deal for the 57-year-old Crennel.

"He's not like most first-time coaches," Linta said. "He's a guy with more credentials. Although he hasn't been a head coach, he has five Super Bowl rings. The Browns aren't just getting a coach. They're buying into a program. They are getting 25 years of experience and knowledge."

Crennel's move to Cleveland is no surprise. It had been expected for weeks, and was only delayed because the Browns weren't allowed to have contact with the 24-year NFL coaching veteran while the Patriots were still playing.

New England's season ended Sunday when the Patriots seized a place among the great dynasties in NFL history by beating Philadelphia 24-21 for their second straight title and third in four years.

The Browns are hoping Crennel can bring them back to glory, but there's much work to be done.

As the Patriots celebrated their latest Super Bowl win, Crennel said he was thrilled the Browns called with their offer.

"It felt real good," he said. "I've been in this business for a little while. I've always been told if you work hard and you're good at what you do, you'll get an opportunity to move up."

Crennel, who began his pro coaching career on Ray Perkins' staff with the New York Giants in 1981, will be Cleveland's third coach since 1999, when the Browns returned to the league as an expansion team.

Since then, the club has gone just 30-67 and lost their only playoff game in 2002.

This will be Crennel's second stint with the Browns. He served as the club's defensive coordinator in 2000 under Chris Palmer, who was fired after going just 5-27 in two years. In Crennel's one season in charge of Cleveland's defense, the Browns recorded 42 sacks - a 17-sack improvement over the previous year.

Before hiring Butch Davis in 2001, the Browns interviewed Crennel, who was a candidate for other openings the past few years but was passed over despite his success and a handful of Super Bowl rings.

But he emerged as the Browns' No. 1 choice during a Jan. 7 interview in Boston with Browns owner Randy Lerner, Collins and general manager Phil Savage, who had been hired that day.

"I put my best foot forward," Crennel said last week at the Super Bowl. "If their impression was that I floored them, then that's great."

During an interview on media day in Jacksonville, Crennel gave a glimpse of what type of coach he will be with the Browns.

Crennel, who spent four seasons on Bill Belichick's staff in New England, said that if he was hired as a head coach he would prefer to use a 3-4 defense. The Patriots perfected that scheme, using it to confounded opposing offenses.

"It's been good to me," he said.

Cleveland's base defence last season was a 4-3 under coordinator Dave Campo, who is not expected to be retained by Crennel.

Offensively, Crennel hopes to mimic what was successful for the Patriots: a run-oriented system that will try to make big plays when possible.

"You'd like to be able to run the ball, use play-action passes and throw the ball when you want to throw the ball down the field."

Crennel isn't the only assistant leaving the world champions for a head coaching job. Offensive coordinator Charlie Weis is going to Notre Dame.
[/quote]
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J2thez929 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:30 am

Thank god! I am really glad we got him as our head coach. Kinda brings back some excitement into Cleveland(if it weren't for the Cavaliers, I think we would all commit sports suicide here in Cleveland :-b )
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:42 am

should help more than Davis...

best of all... without Crennel and Weis, the Pats are doomed nest year... ;-D

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby J2thez929 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:25 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:should help more than Davis...

Doomed? :-b They still have Belichik so nothing is impossible ;-D
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtryanks12 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:29 pm

Thi swill hurt the pats, but htey'll still be a great team. hopefully they'll get an effective DEF coordinator liek crenell was.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby nsulham » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:35 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:should help more than Davis...

I have to laugh when I hear critics use Crennel and Weis leaving as the end-all, be-all for the Pats.

Last I checked, Bill's still there. You'd be a fool to think he won't promote someone already within the organization that has a grasp on the system. In fact, he probably already has the guys selected and has been training them.

Losing Weis and Crennel is going to be tough, no doubt, but I wouldn't start dancing as if it's the end of the run. Remember, they thrive off people doubting them. In fact that'll probably be the rally cry for next year---No one thinks the team is a worthy champion because they "only" won three SB's by 3 points each and no one thinks the team can survive without the assistants.

But back to the topic at hand...I'd definitely look for an improvent from the Brownies next season, particularly on defense. You guys are getting a good one, treat him well!
New England Patriots
The 53-man Dynasty
nsulham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby terpfan » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:37 pm

It's going to be very interesting to see how the Pats respond without their two assistant coaches. I don't doubt Belichick, but I can't imagine they won't feel the losses.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Dazedncnfz » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:51 pm

mtryanks12 wrote:Thi swill hurt the pats, but htey'll still be a great team. hopefully they'll get an effective DEF coordinator liek crenell was.

I have to ask, do you bother to read what you write? I'm not any kind of spelling champ but damn man. All your posts look the same, take a min to proof read.

So do you and jelious cowboy fan really think Crennel is their big concern? When Bill is the true mastermind behind the D. He will be concerned with gettting an offensive cord well before replaceing Crennel.

Players + coaches make this TEAM work, hasn't anyone learned that this is Bill's system and he makes it work with whoever he has. Yes his cords were important to a point but he will replace them and this team will make a run for 3 IN A ROW.

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:21 pm

Hey, I know I'm jealous... we haven't seen the promised land for 11 years now. But a guy can dream, can't he?

And while we're dreaming, I am dreaming of a land where the Pats tank next year without competent coordinators.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mtryanks12 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:34 pm

Dazedncnfz wrote:
mtryanks12 wrote:Thi swill hurt the pats, but htey'll still be a great team. hopefully they'll get an effective DEF coordinator liek crenell was.

I have to ask, do you bother to read what you write? I'm not any kind of spelling champ but damn man. All your posts look the same, take a min to proof read.

So do you and jelious cowboy fan really think Crennel is their big concern? When Bill is the true mastermind behind the D. He will be concerned with gettting an offensive cord well before replaceing Crennel.

Players + coaches make this TEAM work, hasn't anyone learned that this is Bill's system and he makes it work with whoever he has. Yes his cords were important to a point but he will replace them and this team will make a run for 3 IN A ROW.

I was just saying that he is a great part to the team, and it may be harder w/o him. I'm actually a very good speller, but I type fast, and it's very hard to type effictevly on my new laptop.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk