Superbowl XL - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Superbowl XL

Moderator: Football Moderators

Superbowl XL

Postby mutantseabass » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:38 pm

Im from the D and i was wondering what you guys thought about Superbowl XL being held in Detroit? I had heard and read alot of negative things about Jax, i have never been to Jax so i cannot comment. Would you shell out the money to come to Detroit, say if your favorite team was in it? What are your thoughts about having the Superbowl here in Detroit?

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joshyboy72 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:59 pm

I'm not from there...but I like the stadium, if I lived near it yeah I'd definitely be willing to pay the price to go to the big game. Ironicially, two fast paced offensive teams in domes, Colts and Falcons, could be the two in the game, that wouldn't surprise me.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Re: Superbowl XL

Postby Guttpuppy » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:03 pm

mutantseabass wrote: I had heard and read alot of negative things about Jax, i have never been to Jax so i cannot comment.

From a Jags board.

"I was pessimistic from the beginning. Throughout the week, though, I liked what I saw. The national sports media that had negative things to say (with the exception of the levelheaded Peter King - great catch on the problem with practice fields) were whining about silly stuff, coming off as prima donnas. They were easily written off & proven wrong by the throngs having a good time.

The fans I spoke to leading up to & at the beginning of the game had nothing but great things to say about Jax.

Then it all fell apart. I haven't seen it reported anywhere, but I was there, so consider this a first person report.

First, the plumbing in Alltel was out. I know - hard to believe - but it was *OUT*. They locked women's rooms. The men's rooms were an assault on the senses as everything backed up. Since the water was out, they had no water for the cooking systems, so hot dogs were out.

The loss of hot dogs wouldn't have been so bad, if they hadn't RUN OUT OF FOOD! Yes, I'm serious. They ran out of food & beer. The SUPER BOWL! And they weren't prepared.

Let's face it - the bottom line is the gameday experience, and Alltel came across like the old Gator Bowl. NOT a positive. The worst insult I heard all night (and heard it several times) - "Man, this place is worse than the Vet!" Anyone who's been to the Vet in Philly knows how bad that is. And they had basis for saying so.

Finally, given the chance to make a final impression on the way out of the game, the JTA absolutely flumoxed the shuttle buses on the way out. It was an abortion and a nightmare. I consider myself fortunate that I got onto a bus after over an hour. While the ride in, the parking, the whole JTA setup worked fantastic from the beginning of the festivities last week until gametime, the trip out of there was abominable. I think I saw a total of five JTA workers, and after an hour some cops finally showed up to try and bring a little order to the chaos. It was an absolute embarassment. Totally small town. Where were the buses from out of town (I saw NOTHING but JTA buses, and from my eyes, no more than at a traditional Jaguar game). No order, no lines, just some flimsy yellow rope that lasted about two minutes. ONE sign indicating bus lines, and almost no JTA employees around to give directions.

I was absolutely embarassed. And we were *SO* close to pulling it off. Right up until the game. It's a shame.

Hopefully, the total collapse of the facilities & infrastructure at the end won't ruin the week as a whole. I think we're capable of pulling it of in the future, and we put on a great show... But I was shaking my head all night."
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:12 pm

It's a Super Bowl, so I doubt it would really matter where it was...the question would be if anyone would go outside the stadium and spend some money in the community. I think Detroit is one of those towns that gets a lot of negative press, especially after the whole Pistons/Pacers thing.

Sounds like Jacksonville didn't have all their stuff together...maybe they underestimated the craziness of the Super Bowl.

I've been waiting for the "Extra Large" Super Bowl (XL) for quite a few years now...and next year it will be here! :-) Remember when everyone wore those shirts that said what size shirt you were wearing? I bet they make a comeback next year. :-b
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:22 pm

I am looking forward to seeing it in Detroit. Ford Field is an amazing place for a game.

Hopefully the cold weather won't be too much of a negaitve. Hopefully they can learn from any mistakes or problems in Jacksonville, and correct them for next year.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtryanks12 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:24 pm

I'd go to the super bowl if it was on antarctica if I had a ticket. who wouldn't?? if you were given two tickets to the super bowl, and your two least favorite teams are playing, and you decide not to go because of the stadium, you have something wrong with you. I can't comment on the stadium because I've never been outside the airport in detroit (nice airport BTW) but who would pass up the superbowl?? not even my grandma.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mutantseabass » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:37 pm

mtryanks12 wrote:I'd go to the super bowl if it was on antarctica if I had a ticket. who wouldn't?? if you were given two tickets to the super bowl, and your two least favorite teams are playing, and you decide not to go because of the stadium, you have something wrong with you. I can't comment on the stadium because I've never been outside the airport in detroit (nice airport BTW) but who would pass up the superbowl?? not even my grandma.

Ford field is awesome, i was asking if you would drop roughly $5000 to $10000 for a weekend in Detroit to see the Superbowl. Are you sure you were in the Detroit airport or was that a joke?

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Lung » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:08 am

I'm pretty much in the same boat. If the Steelers go to the Superbowl, I'll be in Detroit.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Azrael » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:22 am

I really don't care where to super bowl would be if my team were in it. If I could afford it, I would try to go.

On another note, for anyone wondering, Mercerboy gets his avatars from http://www.themostf#@*edupavatarsintheworld.com
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:08 am

Azrael wrote:I really don't care where to super bowl would be if my team were in it. If I could afford it, I would try to go.

On another note, for anyone wondering, Mercerboy gets his avatars from http://www.themostf#@*edupavatarsintheworld.com

Heh, glad you approve. There's nothing wrong with a guy who just dove into a sulfurous mud pit wearing a modified Scream mask complete with teeth and huge tongue.

They say that mud stuff is good for your complexion... :-o ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk