Idea for a League - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Idea for a League

Moderator: Football Moderators

Idea for a League

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:41 pm

Alright an idea came to me last night. I havent decided whether it can work or not, but considering everyone is always looking for a change of pace, I thought Id throw the idea out.

Now many of us enjoy playoff leagues. The idea I had is to use the 17 week season as the regular season of a fantasy league. After the regular season, the owners who made the playoffs will decide who they want to keep. (I would propose about 4 "keepers") Now obviously you would keep players who played on a playoff team. The rest of the players (including those of the non-playoff teams) would then enter the draft pool. For a 10 team league, I think a 6 team playoff would work best.

The playoff bracket would be much like the NFL playoffs. The top 2 seeds would get a bye, while the bottom 4 seeds duke it out in wild card weekend. In the divisional playoffs the final 4 would be cut down to the top 2. The finals could either be the conference champinship game or a two week championship including the superbowl.

For the draft, the sixth seed would pick first, fifth second and so on. I think it would have to be a serpentine draft. There would be some interesting strategy going on. Do you target guys you think will be playing in the championship, or go for the underdog studs who can help you get to the championship?

So thats basically it. I think that it can work if the rules are clearly laid out and everyone understands. I also think it would be harder to win, as you have to do well in the first draft, do well in a 17 week regular season, and then do a second draft for the playoffs.

Feel free to toss out ideas and questions. Hopefully I explained this clearly enough. ;-D
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mutantseabass » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:47 pm

I play in a league exactly like that. Its fun, very challenging. I won it for the first time in 10 years yesterday. Its a cool change of pace to all the other leagues i play in. So to answer your question yes it does work. The only difference is we have 16 teams two divisions of 8. Top 5 teams make playoffs. Wild card weekend is for the 4th and 5th place teams in each divison to play. winner of course moves on. The superbowl then is the winner of each division playing for the money and trophy.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:00 am

mutantseabass wrote:I play in a league exactly like that. Its fun, very challenging. I won it for the first time in 10 years yesterday. Its a cool change of pace to all the other leagues i play in. So to answer your question yes it does work. The only difference is we have 16 teams two divisions of 8. Top 5 teams make playoffs. Wild card weekend is for the 4th and 5th place teams in each divison to play. winner of course moves on. The superbowl then is the winner of each division playing for the money and trophy.

really? damn I thought I was being smart. do you have a draft after the season though? I thought this was almost combining a keeper league with a one and done league.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:02 am

Yeah we can keep up to three players from our last active roster, we redraft every week all the way through the playoffs.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtryanks12 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:46 pm

sounds lik a fun league, and you could maybe even make a cafe league liek that. I'd join. it sounds very creative and intersting.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby black_hawk8888 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:57 pm

I'd be in on something like that - I especially like the redraft idea every week of the playoffs. Cool stuff.
Major props to the sig master. Deluxe is da man!
black_hawk8888
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Still staring in horror as Palmer's knee buckles on the 2nd snap of the game...

Return to Football Talk