Deion Branch - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Deion Branch

Moderator: Football Moderators

Deion Branch

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:01 am

Branch is a guy I was hoping to target late in my drafts. I picked him up in I believe the 12th round of the Extremely Early Mock.

Now my worry is that he'll go too high based on his superbowl performance, especially with all the idiotic ESPN announcers proclaiming him as the next big star because he put up 133yds in the big game.

Do they not realize that this is what NE WR's have been doing all year?

Even just looking at Branch, he came back from his injury with a 105yard, 1 TD game and followed it up with games of 51 yards and 13 yards. Then he put up 82 yards and a TD, and followed it up with games of 22 yards and 15 yards.

Just wondering if I'm the only one that thinks that Branch is going to go way too early in drafts next year.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby black_hawk8888 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:27 am

probably so - the funny thing is that he doesn't score a lot.
Major props to the sig master. Deluxe is da man!
black_hawk8888
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Still staring in horror as Palmer's knee buckles on the 2nd snap of the game...

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:29 am

I haven't done enough mocks yet to say for sure on how high he is going...But I will know soon enough here when he get to the mid to late rounds.

I don't think he cracks the top 15 WRs, but could go earlier than he would have before his performance in the Super Bowl. People will remember that. I think he will definitely be a sleeper next year. He had some great games this year, but was inconsistent. I think that is what he will be like next year too.

Some 10 catch 120 yd games....some 2 catch 30 yd games too. Just too many options there.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deluxe_247 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:42 pm

i agree, i think he will go too high in most drafts. i do think he is the best of the patriots receivers, but there are just too many of them for me to feel comfortable starting one of them on my fantasy team. consistency is the key to a great team. ;-D
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kevinoc81 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:56 pm

Doesn't New England have a couple of WRs that are free agents now? It will be interesting to see what happens with them. Brady will still spread the ball, but Branch will be his favorite, especially if Patten and whoever the other one is don't come back.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:04 pm

Branch may still fly under the radar due too his injuries (especially the past year). Personally, I think he'll turn into a bonafide #1 WR, and a real offensive threat, so he'd be worth possibly a #2 WR next year, though not the best option for fantasy teams.

At least we can put to rest the silly debate about Givens vs. Branch. Clearly, Branch is better.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mutantseabass » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:30 pm

I dont think that Branch will go too high, unless you play with alot of rookies. Branch has a problem with injuries, if you recall he did have a good game in the superbowl last year too. I think that Givens will be the #1a, hes a bigger reciever and a better red zone option. Troy Brown is a free agent and so is David Patten to answer someone who asked earlier. Brown is contemplating retirement and i think that Patten will be back with the Pats. Bethel Johnson is waiting for his chance if one or both Patten and Brown decide to leave. Personally i dont like NE wrs fantasy wise, much like Minnys Rbs you never know which one which week. I havent seen too many quality mocks yet, but if he goes anything higher than round 6or 7 id be shocked.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:32 pm

kevinoc81 wrote:Doesn't New England have a couple of WRs that are free agents now? It will be interesting to see what happens with them. Brady will still spread the ball, but Branch will be his favorite, especially if Patten and whoever the other one is don't come back.

If I remember correctly, Patten is unrestricted and Givens is restricted. Givens will definitely be back, but I'm not so sure about Patten.

The problem with NE receivers is that Brady spreads the ball around so much. Givens and Branch are his favorite targets, sure, but he loves hitting Vrabel in the endzone, and Graham has come on this year. Plus, they get Watson back next year, too. So Givens will not likely get more TDs.
Brady: a "very mediocre QB" - no1cowboysfan

Mitchell: "To me, the Patriots are not that good. ... We're the better team... A good team crushes that Patriot team. I'm telling you, they're not that good.'
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joshyboy72 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:55 pm

Branch is definitely worth snatching up in the late rounds of drafts, but I don't think it's possible to ever call a New England Patriots receiver a "sleeper" yet. I wouldn't go taking him too high in drafts, but in a standard 12 team league with 10/6 scoring for wide receivers, yeah I would be satisfied with Deion Branch as a number 3 receiver late in the draft, if you fill up your other positions earlier. Remember how hurt he was this year, he could be big if he stays healthy.

By the way, nice sig Transmogrifier. ;-D The second line of it I mean. :-b
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:04 pm

Yeah, yeah...

We'll see how Brady does next year.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk