S. Moss, L. Coles, A. Boldin - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

S. Moss, L. Coles, A. Boldin

Moderator: Football Moderators

S. Moss, L. Coles, A. Boldin

Postby cruiz03 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:05 pm

These are guys that I would consider with high level of "Potential".

Do you agree?

- L. Coles (1100yds - 6td)
His QB really likes him and with another year in this system everyone will benefit (including Portis). However, he opted not to have toe surgery, so I question his durability. :-o

- S. Moss (1050yds - 6td)
They now have an OC that likes the verticle game. Without question a scary weapon in the open field that can take it to the house on any given play. Can he make it through a full season without pulling something? :-B If Randy shows, his value will sky rocket.

- A. Boldin (1000 yds - 5td)
I look at him as a poss receiver. He plays much like K. Johnson did back when he was at the Jets. Out of the 3 WR's he is the one I question the most due to the fact that he has a stud WR on the other side, which could really distroy his numbers. This year, he got the yrds and receptions that I had expected, but fell way short on the TD's. :-o

Give me some imput... good, bad or ugly, but give me some projections on Yards and TD's. ;-D ;-D
cruiz03
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:25 pm

Santana Moss has SO much potential. He was under used last year with Paul Hackett running the offense. If Pennington can return strong from his injury and this new OC is as good as people have said, he should end up with 1250 yards and 7-9 TDs.

Lavernius Coles is a very similar player to Santana Moss, and could also have a very good year if the skins can find some consistency at the QB.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:09 pm

I'm not sold on Santana as a stud. He reminds me of a less talented Hines Ward. He just doesnt have the size to be a dominant WR. Don't get me wrong, I think he is a good receiver but i dont think he will have another 2003 season.

As for Coles, he was pretty consistant but that changed in 2004. The reason was pretty much Mark Brunell. He should bounce back to a normal season this year.

On the other hand, Boldin has the potential to be a stud. Too bad his injury hurt his progress last year but he should put up solid numbers this year. But, he needs the Arizona QB situation to fix itself until he reaches his full potential
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cruiz03 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:54 pm

Nice post guys. I agree that Coles should be solid again this year, but wonder what will become of Moss. After reviewing his numbers from last year, he was either a stud or a dud.... and I'm using the word stud losely here.

Bolwin.... over 50 catches in limited time, but again don't know how Fits will impact his TD totals or if the addition of a running game will change his future. Ronnie Brown in the first round could change everything.
cruiz03
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:05 pm

J2thez929 wrote:I'm not sold on Santana as a stud. He reminds me of a less talented Hines Ward. He just doesnt have the size to be a dominant WR. Don't get me wrong, I think he is a good receiver but i dont think he will have another 2003 season.

I think that Santana and Hines are completely different types of players. Hines does it all. Santana is not big enough to be a real effective blocker, but I think that the Jets need to find ways to use his speed more effectively.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:08 pm

I think Boldin will flourish with a wiser and older Fitzgerald playing across from him. McCown is my sleeper quarterback of 2005 and should be able to take a step forward with a full year under his belt sans any unforseen quarterbacks taking his job in the offseason. My only concern is the running game, which is now Emmitt-less. Marcel Shipp is always an injury concern and Hambrick leaves a lot to be desired. If the Cards can find a runner to take the pressure off of the passing game, then Anquan should be right back at the top of the fantasy standings for 2005.

Santana is a bit of a tease. He'll go invisible for a few games and all the sudden show up with 120 and a touch. His lack of size certainly hurts him and he's not the best route-runner. If he can get free, he become a great deep threat because of his blazing speed. But, for the most part, he's very inconsistent. I think he has a decent chance to return to his 2003 stats, but I'm not betting on it happening.

Coles is a different story. He's consistent, just not very flashy. The one thing to take notice of are his total catches and looks in 2004. Despite all of the Redskins offensive problems, Coles still managed to haul in nearly 100 catches. That's pretty impressive when you consider how hideous the team was offensively. With a better quarterback, Coles could have a career year in 2005. He just needs someone who can throw the rock to him. Brunell suffered from serious lack of arm strength. It seemed like he couldn't toss the ball further than 30 yards without looking labored. If Ramsey can step up his game, I'm thinking Coles will have a very nice campaign, somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,300 yards and 8 touchdowns.

Just my two cents.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:34 pm

OF those three, I rank 'em 1. Anquan Boldin 2. Laveranues Coles and 3. Santana Moss.

Anquan Boldin did pretty well considering his injury and the amount of time he spent off the field. I think that with a year to fully heal and practice - plus a more experienced Larry Fitzgerald lining up with him - he should bounce back nicely. Not to mention that Arizona should still, barring an extreme makeover, be one of the cellar dweller teams and be behind in many of their games - which means more passin'.

I liked Laveranues Coles coming into this season (I had him as a top ten WR - d'oh!) and I think he will bounce back next season. He had plenty of catches and a lot of opportunities. The only problem was, the d00d throwin' him the ball was looking uncharacteristically horrible this season (Brunell r0x0rz s0x0rz). I think with a more stable passing game and Patrick Ramsey back behind center, Coles can easily rebound.

I didn't understand the hype surrounding Santana Moss coming into this season (I don't reckon he was even in my top twenty - although the same could be said for Javon Walker, so what do I know?). He had a nice stretch of games during the middle of last season and then was absolutely shut down. This season wasn't much different. However, his stock might rise with addition through subtraction... or however that goes. With Paul Hackett gone, I'd imagine just about everyone on the Jets offense can be assured of some better play-callin' next season. I'm still not sold on him, but he's a guy I'll be keeping my eye on in the pre-season.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby tiddley » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:59 pm

Boldin has an amazingly high Ceiling and is the best of those three now IMO therefore his potential can only make him better.

Santana is fast and does not deserve the hype because he can be shut down by another small fast corner(which there are more of than Big corners Boldin size) and does not have the hands of Quan

Coles is interesting he is a very solid receiver and has a chance at becoming great. He has solid hands, speed and the moves.

Moss and Coles' QBs were better than McCown/ King/ Navarre and he wasnt injured yet if Quan played a full year would have had >100 catches and over 1200 yards this means that the quarterbacks can not be blamed for the short comings of their numbers in comparison, Moss had Pennington throwing to him therefore his numbers should be much better if he were on the other twos level but they were only marginally better IMO and his dissappearances make me wonder if he is worth it, however since he returns kicks and punts he is worth it in my fantasy league
GO HEELS
tiddley
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:23 pm

tiddley wrote:Moss and Coles' QBs were better than McCown/ King/ Navarre and he wasnt injured yet if Quan played a full year would have had >100 catches and over 1200 yards this means that the quarterbacks can not be blamed for the short comings of their numbers in comparison, Moss had Pennington throwing to him therefore his numbers should be much better if he were on the other twos level but they were only marginally better IMO and his dissappearances make me wonder if he is worth it, however since he returns kicks and punts he is worth it in my fantasy league

It was not Pennington's fault that Moss did not have a repeat of 2003 season. It was purely Paul Hackett's fault. His unwillingness to utilize the passing game hurt Santana's stats. The new OC likes to use the passing game a lot. Moss should have a 1200 yard, 85 catch, 8 TD season next year.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby tiddley » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:37 pm

sorry but i just dont see santana hitting 85 catches he is a speed receiver who is more of the 75 1000 good year type and McCareins is your top possesion Receiver
GO HEELS
tiddley
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Next

Return to Football Talk