Brees to Dallas or Arizona..Any News? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Brees to Dallas or Arizona..Any News?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Brees to Dallas or Arizona..Any News?

Postby Daddymike59 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:51 am

I heard from a friend that Brees is being offered to both for a 1st rounder giving SD 3 first rd picks this year any confirmation on that ? :-o

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kevinoc81 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:54 am

I heard on ESPN that SD was going to franchise him, hoping to get a first round pick for him and if they couldn't get that, then they would use him as their starter. That was all speculation, but this certainly follows that statement.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:03 am

Still looking but I've only seen rumors and it's basically tagging Brees and trading for a #1 with the definite front-runner being Dallas with 2 1st-rounders themselves (#11 and #20). I could see the Boys giving up #20 for him. The Chargers are in a tough yet enviable spot. With LT, Gates and a very good run D and 3 first-round picks, I think they can afford to take their chances with their #1 pick Rivers. Gotta do it. Fans probably won't like it but it's best in the long run. And if Rivers really is good enough, the Chargers should be contenders for years.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:25 am

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/ch ... rgers.html

Really just franchise tag confirmation but it sounds like we'll know pretty soon whether he's on the block.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mutantseabass » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:00 pm

I think that Sd will franchise him(i believe the amount was 8mil).
They would be stupid to trade him away, they have alot of momentum built from last year with Drew. The players all seem to play hard for him. Why would they trade him away for a pick? SD has two first rounders already, and then to hand the team over to a unproven rookie Qb. I see Brees in SD for next year.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:44 pm

I know they wont, but I think they should shop Rivers around
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:49 pm

Won't be much of a market for a huge price-tag QB with no experience. I wouldn't even try to alienate BOTH guys by doing that. They're "stuck" with Rivers at least for a year or two.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby maddog60 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:50 pm

The Chargers will franchise tag him. They may trade him after that, and will probably get a good value if they do from someone.

They should trade Rivers instead. Rivers is an unknown. Yes, I know they made him their franchise QB pick, but honestly what is the best they can hope for? That in a year or two he plays at Pro Bowl level? Well, you certainly can't expect him to play better than Brees did this year. Give Brees a nice WR option and upgrade other areas with that draft, and they're going to be scary.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:53 pm

Anybody know how the Pack had QBs rated in last year's draft. Rivers ahead of Eli and Ben possibly? I still think it's dangerous to shop Rivers because it'll turn into a media bonanza but in an ideal world that's what I would do too.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Flux » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:56 pm

OwenTheBlonde wrote:Won't be much of a market for a huge price-tag QB with no experience. I wouldn't even try to alienate BOTH guys by doing that. They're "stuck" with Rivers at least for a year or two.

How is that any different than drafting a QB early in the draft? He would also be inexperienced and expensive. Granted, Rivers will have more of a signing bonus unless they trade up to a top 1-3 pick, but even though he didnt get much playing time, he has seen the speed of the NFL and has most likely learned a lot from just watching (ala Carson Palmer).

So he probably is more expensive than he should be, but is much more knowledgable than anyone who could be drafted
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk