Brees to Dallas or Arizona..Any News? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Brees to Dallas or Arizona..Any News?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:59 pm

Flux wrote:
OwenTheBlonde wrote:Won't be much of a market for a huge price-tag QB with no experience. I wouldn't even try to alienate BOTH guys by doing that. They're "stuck" with Rivers at least for a year or two.

How is that any different than drafting a QB early in the draft? He would also be inexperienced and expensive. Granted, Rivers will have more of a signing bonus unless they trade up to a top 1-3 pick, but even though he didnt get much playing time, he has seen the speed of the NFL and has most likely learned a lot from just watching (ala Carson Palmer).

So he probably is more expensive than he should be, but is much more knowledgable than anyone who could be drafted

Good point about learning on the sideline. I usually don't forget that. I think they'd have to have a real good idea of who was high on Rivers in last year's draft before they could think about trade talk.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:10 pm

I think it depends a lot on how other teams rate Rivers compared to Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers.

I could easily see Green Bay, Arizona, Oakland, KC, Dallas, Washington, all wanting to get a young QB to be their franchise star for years to come.

The question is, who could they get a 1st rounder for him, or want to?

KC and Oakland are out. You don't want to trade to in the division.
Arizona might be able to snag a top QB in the draft at their position, so why would they trade their first rounder?
Dallas: Parcells doesn't seem to want to rebuild, so he'd be better served upgrading to a better veteran QB and saving his draft picks.
Washington could trade, and we know Snyder is allergic to draft picks, so it seems possible.
Green Bay has a lot of needs from the look of things going into next season, but spending a late round 1st rounder on a guy like Rivers would be a steal to a team that will eventually be feeling Favre-withdrawl.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:38 pm

I agree that the Packers seem like the most logical trading partner for Rivers.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Nilmerf » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:47 pm

If I were the Chargers I would trade Brees while his value is high and gamble with Rivers. In my opinion Brees is just as likely to bust this year as he is to have a repeat performance. Simple economics, buy low and sell high.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mutantseabass » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:51 pm

The Chargers will keep both this year, in fear of Rivers being the next Ryan Leaf. I dont know how much they would get for either Qb to tell ya the truth, if Brees is Franchised and traded who will pay him the 8mil, and what would you get in return for a qb who has had one good year with an 8 million dollar tag?

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby IRON CHEF » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:53 pm

By drafting Rivers the Chargers are now in quite a sticky situation, I would venture to say that they are going to stick with Rivers and try to sell of Brees. One has to wonder however if Brees would have suceeded without the pressure of losing his job.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mtryanks12 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:15 pm

I don't see why the chargers would trade such a great QB (at least this year) for picks, and then gamble on rivers and/or a first round draft pick. rather safe than sorry, so if they're smart, they would stick with brees for at least the next season.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:22 pm

mtryanks12 wrote:I don't see why the chargers would trade such a great QB (at least this year) for picks, and then gamble on rivers and/or a first round draft pick. rather safe than sorry, so if they're smart, they would stick with brees for at least the next season.

But then what if Brees stinks next year? Then you have an over-priced backup. Sell high now and they can get good value. The Cowboys are supposedly very interested. I actually do think that they will end up doing what you say and keep Brees at least another year to be safe, and as another poster said "the Ryan Leaf factor". Rivers is no Leaf but he's not money in the bank either.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mtryanks12 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:27 pm

OwenTheBlonde wrote:
mtryanks12 wrote:I don't see why the chargers would trade such a great QB (at least this year) for picks, and then gamble on rivers and/or a first round draft pick. rather safe than sorry, so if they're smart, they would stick with brees for at least the next season.

But then what if Brees stinks next year? Then you have an over-priced backup. Sell high now and they can get good value. The Cowboys are supposedly very interested. I actually do think that they will end up doing what you say and keep Brees at least another year to be safe, and as another poster said "the Ryan Leaf factor". Rivers is no Leaf but he's not money in the bank either.

well, the charges are taking that risk, but based on this year's performance, he'll probably do better than philip rivers will do.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Daddymike59 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:14 am

Nilmerf wrote:If I were the Chargers I would trade Brees while his value is high and gamble with Rivers. In my opinion Brees is just as likely to bust this year as he is to have a repeat performance. Simple economics, buy low and sell high.

Got to agree Nil If Rivers has seen enough of the offense, and i'm sure we will find out, the economics of dealing Brees is inevitable. I'm not convinced the Pack is the team that can afford him though. :-?

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk