Dolphins O-line - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Dolphins O-line

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dolphins O-line

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:42 am

[01/26/05]: -- Saban Marches On
Nick Saban continues to slowly but surely build his coaching staff for the future of the team. The latest addition is offensive line coach Hudson Houck, a man that Jimmy Johnson tried repeatedly to get on the Dolphins' staff back in the mid-90s. Last season, Houck rebuilt the Chargers' offensive line into one of the best in the NFL. Hopefully, he will be able to work similar wonders with the Dolphins' offensive line.

http://www.phins.com/

NFL folks are raving about the coaching staff the Dolphins' Nick Saban has assembled. It's telling that former Chargers linemen have been bemoaning the loss of new Miami offensive line coach Hudson Houck. (Chargers tackle Roman Oben has said if there were a Hall of Fame for O-line coaches, Houck would be the first inductee.)

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sp ... 852810.htm

Doesn't look nearly as gloomy to be a RB in Miami now does it?
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mutantseabass » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:56 am

The Phins dont have as bad of a team as alot of people claim that they do. Saban is a great coach and will work wonders with the team. If they do in fact get a big name free agent rb, and a little help on the O-line, they will suprise alot of people. Their D is very solid when not out on the field for 3/4 of a game like they were last year. Im curious about the David Boston situation, is he playing next year, any phins homers know anything about his situation.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:07 pm

The phins D was pretty solid last year, especially considering the circumstances, but next year they most likely will be w/o Surtain and Seau (not a huge loss w/ Seau at this point in his career on the field, but he is still a solid leader).

As for Houk, he is going to have his hands full w/ that line. The phins would have been better off w/ pee-wee'ers out there. Im sure he can improve them, but the potential of that line is pretty sub-par at best. They need to get some new guys in there before we can even seriously consider them average.

Even if they get a much improved line, I dont care how good they are, but Sammy Morris, Travis Minor and Lamar Gordon will not cut it at all as a starting RB. Throw in the fact they have Feeley at QB, and its just not looking good.

MIA is going to go through a LOT of growing pains in my opinion, but at least it looks like Saban is making any and all efforts at this point to make that happen
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:46 pm

Flux wrote:The phins D was pretty solid last year, especially considering the circumstances, but next year they most likely will be w/o Surtain and Seau (not a huge loss w/ Seau at this point in his career on the field, but he is still a solid leader).

As for Houk, he is going to have his hands full w/ that line. The phins would have been better off w/ pee-wee'ers out there. Im sure he can improve them, but the potential of that line is pretty sub-par at best. They need to get some new guys in there before we can even seriously consider them average.

Even if they get a much improved line, I dont care how good they are, but Sammy Morris, Travis Minor and Lamar Gordon will not cut it at all as a starting RB. Throw in the fact they have Feeley at QB, and its just not looking good.

MIA is going to go through a LOT of growing pains in my opinion, but at least it looks like Saban is making any and all efforts at this point to make that happen

I agree there's a lot of work to be done but they will have a RB whether it's Henry, Alexander, Edge, Droughns etc thru FA/Trade or drafting Benson,Williams,Brown. That's for sure. They could conceivably pick up Warner(doubtful), Johnson or Garcia for QB help, get a player or two to improve the O-line thru FA or the draft and the offense can be decent. D will take a hit but it'll still be pretty good. I still wouldn't expect much but they can bounce back pretty quickly actually.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Flux » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:58 pm

The biggest reason why MIA wont be able to make all those changes is b/c they are almost 12 million over the cap for next year http://www.finheaven.com/seasonal/salaries.php

Gratned Seau may retire, so that frees him up, Fiedler is likely gone, Surtain is likely gone, and Madison may also be gone. That should free up some room, but not their entire potential salaries, meaning they probably wont have tons to play with.

They will for sure get some sort of RB, but then that leaves the line hurting still. This draft doesnt have much to offer w/ the o-linemen, and good FA o-linemen usually get snatched up very quickly and may cost more than MIA is able to pay.

I think they will overall be a better team, but thats not saying much considering how they looked this year.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby IRON CHEF » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:59 pm

Before going after a RB, the Phins should focus on fixing up their line. From some of what I saw last season I don't believe anybody could put up a good season behind their o line. Gordon is very underrated, he can be a solid contributor if given some space to run.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:37 pm

I disagree with Gordon being overrated. I think they need a RB and they can find one to produce although they may be better off with a FA back rather than forcing a rookie into a less-than-ideal situation. It's surprise what coaching and scheme can get out of talent at times so I think they could go with whatever they can get at O-line for next year and target it big time next offseason.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby bagobonez » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:02 pm

I think the Dolphins are destined to land a marquee running back. Edgerrin James has been talking about how he'd love to go to Miami, and so has Shaun Alexander. Then there's the talks of the Bills trading Henry to the Dolphins as well. And even if none of those 3 pan out, they could always draft Cedric Benson.

How did rookie Vernon Carey play last year? Does anyone know? Will he be starting next year?
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:04 pm

Bones, from what I hear, Carey was a big time bust... or he was at the beginning of the season.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Football Talk