valid reason or just an excuse? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

valid reason or just an excuse?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Guttpuppy » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:11 pm

choke ( P ) Pronunciation Key (chk)
v. choked, chok·ing, chokes
v. intr.

To have difficulty in breathing, swallowing, or speaking.
To become blocked up or obstructed.
Sports. To shorten one's grip on the handle of a bat or racket. Often used with up.
To fail to perform effectively because of nervous agitation or tension, especially in an athletic contest: choked by missing an easy putt on the final hole.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:15 pm

Yeh, to his credit McNabb refused to acknowledge he was sick - he said the Eagles lost because he didn't play well. That shows a lot of class (and good leadership)!
;-D ;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby maddog60 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:30 am

Guttpuppy wrote:choke ( P ) Pronunciation Key (chk)
v. choked, chok·ing, chokes
v. intr.

To have difficulty in breathing, swallowing, or speaking.
To become blocked up or obstructed.
Sports. To shorten one's grip on the handle of a bat or racket. Often used with up.
To fail to perform effectively because of nervous agitation or tension, especially in an athletic contest: choked by missing an easy putt on the final hole.

Does that come complete with a picture of Big Ben too?

(Sorry, GP, but I had to go there. Can't let Steelers fans bust on my boy McNabb for his performance after how Roethlisberger played 2 weeks ago).
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bagobonez » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:40 am

I think Roethlisberger gets a little more lee way here. Everyone forgets that he was indeed a rookie just because he played like a pro bowler for most of the season.

Rookies make rookie mistakes, and that's what Big Ben did late in the season. McNabb, on the other hand, is a seasoned veteran by now, especially in the playoffs.

They both choked.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hastur » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:11 pm

Don't confuse physical ability with Leadership. Lets look at another eagle QB, Randall Cunningham. He was supreamly talented(the true prototype for today's mobile QB) but did you ever see that look in his eyes after he got even just a little confused? He never recovered for the rest of the game.

In the steelers game during the season, the steelers defense got inside McNabb's head. He started to panic and get happy feet. He started to throw to anybody as a defensive gesture. He never got himself calmed down and focused.

The ealges were exhausted near the end of the game?? I don't buy that. I never saw that during the season. And they had 2 weeks to rest. Also, who in your opinion is the better conditioned athlete? Fraley(the one running up the the line of scrimmage) or McNabb?

Direct all arguments to my signature
Go Cowboys!
hastur
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:57 pm

people conveniently omit that he still threw a td ont hat drive.

The whole thing is academic. the time left is moot if you don't get the score.

The time is important -- and there is no denying that it went wrong. On the other hand you need the score for the time to be a factor. so if rushing it along means you don't get the td, what point is there?
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk