Jason Taylor on Offense. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jason Taylor on Offense.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jason Taylor on Offense.

Postby Guttpuppy » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:04 pm

Is this just a guy trying to help his team win or someone trying to toot his own horn that should shut-up and play the position he's paid for?

Jason Taylor wants role to play on offense

By Alex Marvez
Staff Writer
Posted February 12 2005

Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor wants to get offensive -- literally.

Taylor said Friday that he will petition new coach Nick Saban for a situational role on offense next season.

"I'm working on Coach Saban and the offensive staff because I want to get some plays in," Taylor said by telephone after a practice for Sunday's Pro Bowl in Hawaii. "I'm going to keep lobbying for it, so I'm letting guys put it in the [newspaper].

"[New England's] Mike Vrabel and Richard Seymour do some things on offense, and [Oakland's] Warren Sapp does a dance when he gets in the end zone. I know I can be a great tight end and contribute to some fun things."

The use of defensive players in select offensive roles, especially near the goal line, was popularized in recent seasons by Patriots coach Bill Belichick. Vrabel, one of New England's starting outside linebackers, had a touchdown catch for the second consecutive Super Bowl in last Sunday's 24-21 victory over Philadelphia.

The 6-foot-6 Taylor, who played tight end in high school, could be an attractive end-zone target because of his size. But the desire to score touchdowns rather than prevent them isn't based solely on personal goals.

"I'm not just doing it because it would be fun and neat but because I think it would help us win games, like what a lot of the other [defensive] guys do," Taylor said. "I would cover and return punts if I could, too."

Taylor's desire to get back on a winning track was piqued Thursday in Hawaii when he had dinner with three members of New England's championship team -- Tom Brady, Tedy Bruschi and Larry Izzo -- as well as Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning.

Taylor admits he is struggling to leave behind memories of the 4-12 campaign in 2004.

"Sometimes, I'll lay in bed at night thinking about plays where I could have made a difference," Taylor said. "I'm still beating myself up a little bit."

Taylor said he is optimistic that Saban will be able to lead a Dolphins turnaround but also admits to wondering about his long-term future with the franchise. Although he had a team-high 9.5 sacks last season and is under contract through 2009, Taylor will turn 31 in September, and Saban is expected to begin a youth movement this offseason. Already, cornerback Patrick Surtain was given permission to seek a trade.

"I hope it works out, but when I spoke with Nick, he did not go that in-depth about who was going to be here," Taylor said. "I think I'm going to be here, but we've got to see how a lot of things are going to go, like what type of scheme are we going to play defensively? But I'm excited about the future. I've learned to cherish these years because time is running out."

Taylor suffered a dislocated right shoulder in the season finale against Baltimore but decided to play in the Pro Bowl despite not having done any weightlifting or serious training since the injury. Taylor said he will wear a harness for protection in Sunday's game.

"I look at it like if I was picked to go, I feel an obligation to go out and perform," he said

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-dolphins12feb12,0,4709402.story?coll=sfla-sports-front
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mutantseabass » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:16 pm

Taylor had told Wanny about his interest in playing on O last preseason. Nothing ever came of it, maybe Wanny should have!
Saban has let his LBs play some O when he was coaching at MSU.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:19 pm

If Jason Taylor wants to try goaline TE, let him.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:24 pm

I agree. He could be a huge decoy if nothing else.

Carolina had put in Peppers last year to try it out too..

I think you should have your best players in there. If Taylor improves them on the goaline, get him in there.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Their offense couldn't be much worse... why not give Taylor a shot to make something happen?
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Nilmerf » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:30 pm

I love the whole players on both sides of the ball renaissance. I hope they let us do it in Madden 2006.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby joshyboy72 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:28 pm

Yeah he can play Tight End on the goalline if he wants, their offense can't get much worse. But...

Jason Taylor wrote:"I would cover and return punts if I could, too."

I could see him covering punts, but he wants to return them too? 8-o Is he really that fit?
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Flockers » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:59 pm

Is that "The Nutcracker" I hear?
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby The Lung » Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:19 pm

It would be a great idea if the Dolphins actually had decent quarterbacks.

Worst quarterback core in all of professional football.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Re: Jason Taylor on Offense.

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:55 pm

Guttpuppy wrote:"[New England's] Mike Vrabel and Richard Seymour do some things on offense, and [Oakland's] Warren Sapp does a dance when he gets in the end zone. I know I can be a great tight end and contribute to some fun things."
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-dolphins12feb12,0,4709402.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

Well he is obviously looking for the glory. But I bet he would actually be a good TE. I mean, most people can catch the ball, right?
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Next

Return to Football Talk