Rankings Questions - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Cafe Games Talk

Rankings Questions

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rankings Questions

Postby Petey » Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:52 am

I don't know if anyone else's scores are wrong but I come up with 279 for myself.

I get 116 for GB-ATL (100+10+7-1)= 116
84 for Dal-Ari (100-3-13)= 84
79 for Phi-NO (100-10-11)= 79

116+84+79= 279

I looked at the rules and I'm sure this is right.
Petey
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby menyak » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:00 am

Thanks petey - I'll look into it right away.
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:12 am

LOL, what us getting scores wrong in Pick 3 Naaaah :-)
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby menyak » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:25 am

Here's the reason: we added a new rule in the baseball season but forgot to add it to the football rules...
Fantasy Baseball Cafe wrote:Additionally, accurately predicting the margin of victory is also important. For every run by which you miss the correct margin, one point will be deducted.

Example: Your prediction for Anaheim vs. Oakland is 4-2. However, the actual final score is 5-6. You lose three points because you predicted a margin of victory of plus two runs for Oakland, when in fact the true margin saw Anaheim trailing by a run.

So those are your 38 points missing. Basically, the points are calculated automatically this year, so once we have the algorithm right, there should be no problems. :-)

Anyway, since this is just a warmup, we can always change the rules if you guys want to. So before I actually add the above to the rules page, do you think it's good to factor the margin of victory into the points, of did we put too much weight on it?
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Petey » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:36 am

It's not a big deal, I just wasn't sure what was going on. I really have no preference, but it does make it more confusing. :-?
If the algorithm is already set, I don't want you guys to do more work than necessary. On the other hand, I don't like the thought of the dark sides rules infiltrating our side. So I'll be the first to be non-committal and say whatever you guys decide is fine by me.
Petey
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby menyak » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:43 am

Wouldn't be a problem at all to change the algorithm, just a matter of minutes...

Actually we had the idea to factor in the victory margin after last year's football pick3 - it's only that we used the dark side to experiment with it. :-D The difference however is that baseball margins are typically not so large, so the impact on the football results will be bigger. On the other hand, maybe that's justified anyway...
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby menyak » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:15 am

These would have been the results under the old rules (just for the idea, there's surely some error in there):

1 (2) phunkadelic 299
2 (1) Slingblade 298
3 (4) menyak 295
4 (3) fntsyrookie 291
5 (6) Purple Pride 285
6 (5) DHC 284
7 (7) thelongestyard 282
8 (11) petey 279
9 (10) Hayes 278
10 (9) Steeltown 277
11 (12) Roseman 275
12 (13) Weasel 271
13 (8) Dazed 270

Factoring in the margin of victory seems slightly fairer to me. Compare the big changers (petey, Weasel, Dazed) and make up your own mind. :-?
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby menyak » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:56 am

Ok, I've updated the rules accordingly. Thanks again for noticing, petey! ;-D

Just hope that nobody would have submitted different picks if he would have known of this change. :-o Any more feedback on the rules is welcome, of course. :-)
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Cafe Games Talk