Vikings rumoured to be sold - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Vikings rumoured to be sold

Moderator: Football Moderators

Vikings rumoured to be sold

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:02 am

To the NFL's first black owner. I wonder how this affects where the team goes, if anywhere.

Reports: Vikings near historical sale

Associated Press

2/14/2005

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - The Minnesota Vikings are on the verge of being sold in a deal that would transfer the franchise from Red McCombs to the NFL's first black owner, Arizona businessman Reggie Fowler, according to several media reports.

Phoenix radio station XTRA-AM first reported Sunday that Fowler had reached an agreement to buy the team for $625 million US and an announcement would be made Monday at the team's headquarters.

Minnesota Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor, who has also made an offer to buy the team, said on Sunday he hasn't heard from McCombs since his proposal nearly two weeks ago.

"I was given a message that they were going to respond and then they didn't," Taylor said before the Timberwolves' game against Chicago. "That's when I started to assume that they already had something with Reggie. ... And I've heard and I think some other people have heard, that it's 625 and our offer was not in that area."

Vikings spokesman Bob Hagan said Sunday night he knew of no plans for an announcement. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello didn't immediately return a call seeking comment.

The agreement was also reported on ESPN.com, KSTP-TV in the Twin Cities, and the Star Tribune's Web site.

McCombs and Fowler have been silent since beginning a short-term agreement to negotiate exclusively, but Taylor has spoken frequently and openly about his recent push. Taylor inquired about submitting another bid once the period of exclusivity had begun and was told by the McCombs camp it was OK.

"We gave them a number of alternatives and said if none of these work out with you, come back with how you would change it," Taylor said. "We weren't like, 'This is the last or final offer."'

But with no response from San Antonio, where McCombs has his office, Taylor sounded resigned to Fowler buying the team.

League rules require 24 of the 32 owners to approve a sale, and the NFL also mandates that a general partner must put down 30 percent of the cash portion of any franchise purchase.

Little is known about Fowler's personal wealth, but the Arizona Republic reported Saturday that he's worth more than $400 million.

McCombs bought the Vikings in 1998. Since then, they've sold out every home game and have made the playoffs in four of the seven seasons he has owned the team - twice advancing to the NFC championship game.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canacuna » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:47 am

KFFL.com is reporting it too...

KFFL.com wrote:Vikings | Sale of Team for $625 Million Worked Out; Approval Pending - from http://www.KFFL.com
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:44:49 -0800

Mike Jurecki, of XTRA Sports 910, reports Arizona businessman Reggie Fowler has reached an agreement with
Minnesota Vikings owner Red McCombs to purchase the Vikings for $625 million. The Vikings are expected to make an announcement of the deal from team headquarters Monday, Feb. 14. The investment group is made up of Fowler and three businessmen from New York, with Fowler serving as the general partner. The deal is still pending league and owner's approval.

...and from some Minnesota news site...

Sky Max 5 wrote:Both Fowler and Hecker have said in the past that they plan on keeping the Vikings in Minnesota.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Vikes_Fan2823 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:39 am

Canacuna wrote:...and from some Minnesota news site...

Sky Max 5 wrote:Both Fowler and Hecker have said in the past that they plan on keeping the Vikings in Minnesota.

As long as they stay in Minnesota, Barney the Purple Dinosaur could own the team.
16-team PPR Keeper League
QB: T. Romo, V. Young
RB: M. Turner, B. Wells, T. Hightower
WR: A. Johnson, J. Ford, N. Burleson, A. Roberts, J. Simpson
TE: D. Clark, J. Cook
K: R. Gould
D/ST: Cardinals
Vikes_Fan2823
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:52 am

Vikes_Fan2823 wrote:

As long as they stay in Minnesota, Barney the Purple Dinosaur could own the team.

Hey kids, let's sing our special "I love you" song to Randy! He looks like he could use some love right about now. It would be super-deeeeee-duper!!! ;-D :-b
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Vikes_Fan2823 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:58 am

Mercer Boy wrote:
Vikes_Fan2823 wrote:

Hey kids, let's sing our special "I love you" song to Randy! He looks like he could use some love right about now. It would be super-deeeeee-duper!!! ;-D :-b

lol, where's Flocker, that should get some serious Flocker points ;-D
Vikes_Fan2823
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby maddog60 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:42 am

If this is true, Vikings fans finally got their wish. Now lets see if the new owner unleashes a spending spree in free agency that would make Daniel Snyder look frugal.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mutantseabass » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:21 am

Deal was agreed upon and now will wait for NFL ok.

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S6276.html?cat=1

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:25 am

Great for you Vikings fans. Now the Moss talk will be interesting...
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Vikes_Fan2823 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:31 pm

maddog60 wrote:If this is true, Vikings fans finally got their wish. Now lets see if the new owner unleashes a spending spree in free agency that would make Daniel Snyder look frugal.

Actually, my wish was that the team be sold to Glen Taylor. He would be the perfect owner.
Vikes_Fan2823
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby treat24 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:56 pm

Vikes_Fan2823 wrote:
maddog60 wrote:If this is true, Vikings fans finally got their wish. Now lets see if the new owner unleashes a spending spree in free agency that would make Daniel Snyder look frugal.

Actually, my wish was that the team be sold to Glen Taylor. He would be the perfect owner.

agree 100% ;-D ;-D

spent 15 years in the mankato area, he's a good guy... but oh well... his bid wasn't high enough... i can't believe the vikes went for about $625 mil... doe sthat guy have ANY money left? must be nice!
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Next

Return to Football Talk