Vikings rumoured to be sold - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Vikings rumoured to be sold

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby PackerAttack84 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:22 pm

The Vikings are going to need something, because they are always #2 behind the Packers! :-D
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Vikes_Fan2823 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:03 pm

PackerAttack84 wrote:The Vikings are going to need something, because they are always #2 behind the Packers! :-D

Hey I forgot the score for the Wild Card playoff game, you know, when the Vikings played the Packers... Could you refresh my memory???
16-team PPR Keeper League
QB: T. Romo, V. Young
RB: M. Turner, B. Wells, T. Hightower
WR: A. Johnson, J. Ford, N. Burleson, A. Roberts, J. Simpson
TE: D. Clark, J. Cook
K: R. Gould
D/ST: Cardinals
Vikes_Fan2823
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Flockers » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:43 pm

Vikes_Fan2823 wrote:
PackerAttack84 wrote:The Vikings are going to need something, because they are always #2 behind the Packers! :-D

Hey I forgot the score for the Wild Card playoff game, you know, when the Vikings played the Packers... Could you refresh my memory???

I believe the Patriots won that one. Good stuff for the Vikes. They need something going for them. McCombs is the worst owner in football, by a mile. Hopefully, they will pull out of this slup and sign some solid free agents, since they are $30 million under the cap. The future looks good for them.

BTW Mercer, 20 Flocker points! ;-D
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby maddog60 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:51 pm

Vikes_Fan2823 wrote:
maddog60 wrote:If this is true, Vikings fans finally got their wish. Now lets see if the new owner unleashes a spending spree in free agency that would make Daniel Snyder look frugal.

Actually, my wish was that the team be sold to Glen Taylor. He would be the perfect owner.

Hey, no need to get picky now. You got the team away from the Anti-Daniel Snyder, and that's whats really important, right?
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Vikes_Fan2823 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:20 pm

maddog60 wrote:
Vikes_Fan2823 wrote:
maddog60 wrote:If this is true, Vikings fans finally got their wish. Now lets see if the new owner unleashes a spending spree in free agency that would make Daniel Snyder look frugal.

Actually, my wish was that the team be sold to Glen Taylor. He would be the perfect owner.

Hey, no need to get picky now. You got the team away from the Anti-Daniel Snyder, and that's whats really important, right?

That's true, at least its not McCombs.
Vikes_Fan2823
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Bennett4prez » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:47 pm

I think Fowler will be a tragedy. I don't think he will own the Vikings for very long as Taylor will get the team in a few years for a very similar price to what Fowler paid now.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Vikes_Fan2823 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:45 pm

Bennett4Prez in the Vikings forum wrote:Give me Fowler or give me death!

???
Vikes_Fan2823
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby TTTBone » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:58 pm

Bennett4Prez wrote:I think Fowler will be a tragedy. I don't think he will own the Vikings for very long as Taylor will get the team in a few years for a very similar price to what Fowler paid now.

Interesting.
Is that because you believe Fowler, like McCombs, will also be unable to get a new stadium deal done?
An owner like Taylor, with his local political and financial connections, probably could have worked out a stadium deal within a few years.
Fowler... ?
The stadium issue will be tough for him as an outsider. Minnesota politics and culture is pretty insular.
Fowler seems like a decent, likable guy and I sincerely hope he has better success pushing the stadium issue than the rather brash, old cowboy Red did. Red's Texan used-car salesman persona never meshed very well with the reserved Scandanvian culture of Minnesota.
People didn't like him, and more so, didn't trust him.
Good luck Reggie, you may need it.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby TTTBone » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:24 pm

Sid Hartman: Franchise could be moved
Sid Hartman, Star Tribune
February 15, 2005

If Reggie Fowler and his business partners from New Jersey are approved to buy the Vikings franchise from Red McCombs, it is my opinion the franchise remains in danger of eventually being relocated.

Fowler and his partners will have a difficult time succeeding financially after paying $625 million for a franchise that has tried and failed for years to get a new football stadium.

The Vikings lease with the Metrodome runs out after the 2011 season.

If by 2007 the Legislature hasn't done anything about providing a new stadium, you can rest assured Los Angeles, Portland, Las Vegas or even Mexico City will start building a new stadium with the promise that the Vikings will move there in 2012. However, it's also possible Fowler and his real estate partners can solve the problem by building their own stadium.

The new owners could try to break the lease under a provision that exists if certain conditions are not met, but it would be difficult. NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue has said the league will not allow the lease to be broken.

McCombs made it clear Monday that the reason he was selling the team was that it wasn't going to be as profitable as other NFL teams, and he saw no chance of a new stadium being voted on by the Legislature.

McCombs paid $246 million for the team. He earned $30 million last season, and he has been profitable each year. He made $20 million from the sale of Viking Food Service, and he picked up at least $30 million in expansion money from new franchises in Houston and Cleveland.

So he has little of his own money invested in the franchise.

And he decided to sell the team because he was concerned he was going to lose money if he had to operate at the Metrodome three years from now.

Glen Taylor is a billionaire because he is no dummy.

Taylor said he believes he had zero chance of making the Vikings succeed without a new stadium if he paid $600 million for the team.

"The State Legislature is going to demand an investment of at least $150 million by the Vikings toward a new football stadium if they do decide to act," Taylor said recently. "Then you need about $100 million to operate, and you could lose money while the stadium is being built."

So that is why Taylor's recent offer included more money for McCombs if a stadium was provided.

When asked if he had any intention of moving the team at the news conference, Fowler said no. What would you expect him to say: "I bought the team as an investment, and if you don't build a stadium I will move the team."

Fowler made his money in Arizona, and his partners live in New Jersey. If the Vikings start losing money and don't get a new stadium, you can say goodbye to the franchise.

Not anti-Fowler

It doesn't make any difference to me who owns the Vikings.

I do know that the league wants local ownership. It won't have that with Fowler and his partners, although Fowler said he will move here.

Taylor has the money and is a local resident, and being a former member of the Legislature, he has a much better chance to get a stadium built.

But Taylor wouldn't pay McCombs' price because he thought it was a losing proposition.

I was told at the Super Bowl by a very good source that Fowler was close to meeting the financial requirements of the NFL but that there was some question about some of his partners.

It could be that Fowler has satisfied the league regarding his partners and that he will be approved in the near future.

The fact that Fowler could be the first minority owner of an NFL team is a big plus for his chances to get approved.

Some potential owners for the expansion Charlotte NBA franchise were passed up because the NBA wanted a minority owner, and the franchise was awarded to Bob Johnson.

Some years ago, Tom Clancy held a big news conference at the Minneapolis Club and announced he was buying the Vikings. But the NFL's Finance Committee turned him down for lack of funds.

Will that happen again? Not likely. But until the NFL Finance Committee checks out Fowler and his partners, you won't know for certain.

Blame previous owners

You can give Roger Headrick and the nine other owners who sold the team to McCombs credit for the mess this Vikings franchise is in today.

Taylor was told by more than one person from Headrick's group that he would get a chance to meet the offer of McCombs or any other bidder.

Had Wheelock Whitney not been out of town when the McCombs offer was made, Taylor would have gotten the opportunity to buy the team, and McCombs would be about $300 million poorer today.

And speaking of McCombs, the sale definitely will affect how good a football team the Vikings will put on the field next season.

Free agency opens March 2. The Vikings need a lot of help, especially on the defensive side. Unless Fowler and McCombs have some agreement about McCombs being reimbursed for any player expenses, you can rest assured McCombs isn't going to spend any money on players.

If Fowler wants to put a competitive team on the field next fall, he had better make sure he is familiar with what is going on in the player personnel department.

Sid Hartman is a total homer and a complete tool, but he's pretty right on for once. ;-D :-?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:30 am

Fowler's off to a really great start - on his bio he lied about having a business degree (he does have one in social work), he lied about playing in the NFL, he lied about playing in the CFL, and he lied about playing in the Little League World Series!!!
Now there's a real honest man ya wanna do business with!
:-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk