Will Jordan start somewhere? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Will Jordan start somewhere?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Will Jordan start somewhere?

Postby black_hawk8888 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:06 am

Just drafted LaMont Jordan in a dynasty league and wanted opinions on his keeper value and whether or not he will start somewhere in 05. My personal opinion is that he won't sign unless he can be the starter. Problem is that the market is full of RBs this year. Opinions?
Major props to the sig master. Deluxe is da man!
black_hawk8888
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Still staring in horror as Palmer's knee buckles on the 2nd snap of the game...

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:23 am

I like his chances to start. Oakland has already expressed interest and Seattle would be interested if Alexander left. Miami, Arizona are also options. Oakland looks like the most likely possibility, especially if they use their 1st pick in a play for Moss. Jordan is great to have in a dynasty league because he does have the talent and will start sooner rather than later.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby maddog60 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:40 am

Lets see, assuming no free agents get resigned you have teams that need RBs:

Philly
Seattle
Arizona
Oakland
Miami
Indy
Cincy

SF
TB
Minny
Pitt
(could use an upgrade at RB)

Now lets look at available RBs in this scenario:

Westbrook
Alexander
Rudi
Edge
Jordan
Henry (via trade of course, but he's clearly being shopped)
A-Train
Rhodes
George
Davenport
Hearst
(and a bunch of even less notable guys)

also figure in the drafts current big three: Benson, Brown and Williams.

7 teams will need RBs badly, and there are 5 known legit starters to go around (Edge, Westy, Rudi, Alexander, and Henry), that leaves 2 other teams. However most teams like to save picks, Henry may not go through trade to any of those 7 teams that needs one, but at least 2 remain. So Jordan would have to fight off 3 rookies, and a bunch of aged vets and less talented guys his age for a starting gig. I like his odds.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Evolution » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:15 pm

I think it's going to depend on two major factors.

1. Jordan will have to play for less than he's worth. No team is going to make a serious pitch at him with the RB depth available if he's going to demand too much money. The reason for most of those teams having vacancies is that they have other priority FAs to sign.

2. The confidence those teams you mentioned have in the guys they already have in place to replace their departed RBs. Seattle has Morris, Cincy has Perry, Arizona has Shipp (Green is also rumored to be making a pitch at Minny's Bennett), Indy has Rhodes. It would shock me to see San Fran sign an RB considering the holes they have to fill, Tampa seems primed on taking Cadillac Williams in the draft, and Miami and Oakland may go with Cedric Benson and/or Ronnie Brown. Minny has 3 RBs on the roster with a cheapskate owner.

I'd say, as most, the best shot Jordan has is Oakland, but it will depend on how quickly he gets into that uniform, and how other teams see their prospective replacements.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby JimmyChoi » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:08 pm

The jets do have money to resign him...if they choose....
JimmyChoi
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Flux » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:20 pm

Evolution wrote:Tampa seems primed on taking Cadillac Williams in the draft, and Miami and Oakland may go with Cedric Benson and/or Ronnie Brown

If I were any of these teams, I would much rather try and grab Jordan or another FA and keep the high picks to use on other players. Why use a high draft pick, and big signing bonus $$$ on an unproven rookie when you can get a FA of pretty much the same quality basically for free AND keep that pick. I mean I know the cap hits may effect them differently, but these teams wont completely change their fortunes around w/ one player.

This is not me saying those rookie RBs arent very good talents, but it seems kind of silly to me to use a pick on something like that w/ the FAs available
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:45 pm

Flux wrote:
Evolution wrote:Why use a high draft pick, and big signing bonus $$$ on an unproven rookie when you can get a FA of pretty much the same quality

Since when is Lamont Jordan any more proven? Someone please remind me what Jordan has done in the NFL besides sit on the bench for 4 years. Talent-wise, Jordan can't hold a candle to those guys.

Will Jordan start next year? In short, doubtful. This is one of the most RB heavy drafts I can remember, combined with the fact that this year has more premium FA RB's than any of us have ever seen before, and it doesn't look good for an aging veteran that is hardly even in the back of most team's minds.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:58 pm

I dont think the jets will resign him. They have plenty of cap space, but he wants a good sum of money, and the jets have other areas that they need to address.

As far as Lamont starting, he is a good running back with a lot of potential. I do think he will start somewhere. Edge, Shaun, Westbrook all are better than Lamont, but I think that Lamont, if given the chance to start, would produce just as much as rudi or henry.

I'd say yes, he will be starting somewhere come next year.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby awwchrist » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:21 pm

"aging veteran"?

Let's not set him up in the home with a bowl of tapioca pudding and crossword puzzles just yet.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:40 pm

Free Bagel wrote:...and it doesn't look good for an aging veteran that is hardly even in the back of most team's minds.

Your completely right, Lamont is an "aging veteran." He is already 26 years old, and has played in the NFL for a long 4 years.

No team wants him either, even though Oakland has reported that they are very interested in him.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Next

Return to Football Talk