Eagles players trying to court Muhammad - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Eagles players trying to court Muhammad

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:27 pm

That would be a scary offense. Westbrook, McNabb, Owens, Mush, LJ Smith, a good O-line. I would put Greg Lewis in the slot. As a Patriots fan that is pretty intimidating.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:32 pm

Philly doesn't need a big bruiser, but it'd be nice. They need a #2 WR more than a bruising RB. I agree it isnt the Eagles style though. First and foremost, they resign Westbrook. That immediately takes them out of the big name RB sweepstakes, but Lamont Jordan may be too high on the radar, or he may find all of the potential full-time starting jobs filled before he gets paid.

More likely a guy like A-Train will be left when the full time jobs have been filled, and being in Philly where he would get used is better than being just a backup.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Flockers » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:46 pm

Bag, your sig would be better if it was...

"guns don't kill people, Leonard Little does"

;-D
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:02 am

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised to see Philly land both A train and Muhsin.

I think both could be great fits in that offense. But if Buckhalter is healthy and they keep him, he might fit the bill instead of Atrain.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:10 am

bagobonez wrote:I'm not sure why everyone wants Philly to have a bruising RB. That's not their offensive style. Especially for the money that guys like Alexander, Edge and Lamont Jordan are going to want, they'd be much better spending it on a WR or a LB.

Who is this masked man posting for bagobonez and making sense? :-]
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby tanner » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:14 am

the Eagles sure do need a RB..not necessarily a 'bruiser' like SA or a Bettis-type, but definitely someone like Tiki Barber, Ahman Green, i.e, a great receiver and a great runner. Edgerrin James fits that mold perfectly.
Westbrook ran for slightly more than 800 yards this year. Big deal. that offense is so one dimensional its sickening...they've become very predictable as a result.
tanner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby maddog60 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:26 am

tanner wrote:the Eagles sure do need a RB..not necessarily a 'bruiser' like SA or a Bettis-type, but definitely someone like Tiki Barber, Ahman Green, i.e, a great receiver and a great runner. Edgerrin James fits that mold perfectly.
Westbrook ran for slightly more than 800 yards this year. Big deal. that offense is so one dimensional its sickening...they've become very predictable as a result.

He also caught for more than 700 yards. He had over 100 yards per game total as his average.

Oh, he also had 4.6 yards per carry. That tells you much more about about how well a guy runs the ball than his total rushing yards.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby tanner » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:47 pm

maddog wrote:
He also caught for more than 700 yards. He had over 100 yards per game total as his average.

Oh, he also had 4.6 yards per carry. That tells you much more about about how well a guy runs the ball than his total rushing yards.

no it doesn't..not remotely. how many runs came on 1st down, or 2nd a 6? almost all of them I'd bet..you have T.o, you have defenses thinking pass, so you slip a draw play in to get the 4.6 yards or so.
how many times did he run on third and short? how effective was he? thats the TRUE answer about how well a guy runs..how many times does he moves the chains..would you rather have Corey Dillon or Westbrook? I know they have Levens to handle some of that, but he sucks. Westbrook is a finesse runner on a finesse team. Notice how often he runs out of bounds? he never takes a shot, does he?
Philly finished 24th in rushing yards per game, yet finished 7th in the NFL in passing yards per game. that is a completely unbalanced run/pass combo. on the flip side, New England was 7th in rushing yards , 11th in passing YPG , thats BALANCE..

hey I'm not knocking Westbrook, he did well this year, but I think the Eagles would get more bang for their buck if they got themselves a power runner, someone who can and will carry the ball 300+ times..i.e, Edge or SA... they are a very one dimensional offense. you could cover Westbrook and that offense with a nickel package. Or, use a dime package and dare them to run.
tanner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:19 pm

he was pretty effective in the third down role as well.

Remember when you are considering his rushing yards that he sat out the last two games, and sat out another because of injury. In the steelers game he was given nominal touches to protect him. so he is basically missing a fifth of a season. I don't doubt, nor do I think anyone talking about this rationally -- when made aware of that -- would doubt he would have broken 1000 yards rushing.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:52 pm

Funny how very little is being said about Muhammed...the person this thread is really about.I'm not sayin'...I'm just sayin'.To the Westbrook thing,it's the system they run to have Westy catch passes out of the backfield as well as run the ball,and he does it very effectively.A dump to the RB for good yardage is as good as a run,so we should factor in his yards per catch as well as his yards per carry.Considering the success Philly has had the past few years,I'd say they know what they are doing.Can't really knock a team that went to the Superbowl.Because they didn't win,does it make them a bad team?A few teams have lost to the Pats in the big game,it's nothing to be ashamed of.Now,Back to Muhammed.He is a bit on the elderly side,but he clearly still has some skills.Across from TO,he should do rather nicely.With Mushin ad TO on the field,it opes the ru game up even further for Westbrook.Looks like a winning combo to me.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk