The State of RBs in Cleveland... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The State of RBs in Cleveland...

Moderator: Football Moderators

The State of RBs in Cleveland...

Postby black_hawk8888 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:37 pm

I was reading the post about Garcia leaving Cleveland and I was curious about popular opinion on who will be the go to man at tailback for the Browns in 05.

Lee Suggs finished 2004 with 3 straight 100 yard games and seems to have the most talent. Willie Green was a favorite of Butch Davis but now that the Butcher is gone, will he see time? Will it be another RBBC? Uggh.
Major props to the sig master. Deluxe is da man!
black_hawk8888
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Still staring in horror as Palmer's knee buckles on the 2nd snap of the game...

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:55 pm

Well, for us fantasy types, we'd sure like to see a clear winner. But, I really don't think we'll know until the training camps start on until Romeo gives us his take on the running situation. Both guys have some talent, and Green won't be in "the doghouse" with the new coach since he hasn't been around to do so.

It'll probably be open competition again during the pre-season, and from there we'll see how he wants to run the offense...RBBC or clear-cut #1.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:22 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Well, for us fantasy types, we'd sure like to see a clear winner. But, I really don't think we'll know until the training camps start on until Romeo gives us his take on the running situation. Both guys have some talent, and Green won't be in "the doghouse" with the new coach since he hasn't been around to do so.

It'll probably be open competition again during the pre-season, and from there we'll see how he wants to run the offense...RBBC or clear-cut #1.

I agree Mercer. But I think Suggs has the edge as the #1 back from the things we have been hearing here in Cleveland
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:29 pm

This will be THE key situation in Cleveland that determines whether or not Romeo Crennel will turn the Brown's organization around. If he elects to use a RBBC or William Green is the starter next season, he will fail. If he uses Suggs as the starter he has a CHANCE to make the Browns successful. The RB battle in Cleveland is an indicator to me of what kind of role Crennel will play in remaking the team.

In a head to head comparison, it's obvious to me, that Suggs is far and away the better RB than William Green. If Crennel decides to use William Green in anything more than a spot-work, goalline, backup duty, etc. it will show that he is willing to put less talented players in the lineup because of pedigree, status quo, team opinion, etc. etc. He needs to pull a reverse Butch Davis, get off the potty, and show that he is the leader of the team and he makes informed decisions based on his observations. Honestly, can anyone say that William Green is the better runner over Lee Suggs with a straight face? It's a really a no brainer if I ever saw one....

If Suggs is declared the definite starter in 2005.... there could be another highly productive RB coming out of the AFC North. Jamal Lewis, Rudi Johnson, Jerome Bettis, Lee Suggs?? Division seems to be defined by heavy workload, gritty runners.... Give the man enough carries and see what he can do, or use him until he breaks down. William Green is a solid backup player, but he should not be the Cleveland Brown's starting RB in 2005 unless Suggs fails to be that guy...
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby ravage » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:26 pm

Hopefully Suggs will be the starter. I think he gives the Browns the best chance. Besides I have him in my dynasty. ;-)
ravage
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mikehunt » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:17 pm

There is still a chance that he will release one or both of them to go after a RB in the draft. I mean if he handles his QB situation in the FA poll why not skip this year drafting a qb and wait till the draft is stronger with talent. Maybe this is a route he might take. ALthough nothing is proving for this statment, it is just another bone in the yard that will likely not be chewed on.
mikehunt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:31 pm

mikehunt wrote:There is still a chance that he will release one or both of them to go after a RB in the draft. I mean if he handles his QB situation in the FA poll why not skip this year drafting a qb and wait till the draft is stronger with talent. Maybe this is a route he might take. ALthough nothing is proving for this statment, it is just another bone in the yard that will likely not be chewed on.

I would find it hard to believe he would release Suggs. He has so much talent. I think Green's days are numbered there, since Butch left.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:49 pm

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:
mikehunt wrote:There is still a chance that he will release one or both of them to go after a RB in the draft. I mean if he handles his QB situation in the FA poll why not skip this year drafting a qb and wait till the draft is stronger with talent. Maybe this is a route he might take. ALthough nothing is proving for this statment, it is just another bone in the yard that will likely not be chewed on.

I would find it hard to believe he would release Suggs. He has so much talent. I think Green's days are numbered there, since Butch left.

There is not way Suggs will be released in the hopes of taking a chance on a rookie. They would be losing a good back and wasting a #1 pick. Cmon Butch, dont think like that
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:13 pm

J2thez929 wrote:
SwiperNoSwiping wrote:

There is not way Suggs will be released in the hopes of taking a chance on a rookie. They would be losing a good back and wasting a #1 pick. Cmon Butch, dont think like that

Wasn't Green a #1 pick too? like around 16 or 17? They would be releasing one if the cut Green. Also, Butch is gone already isn't he? I thought he was...
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:18 pm

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:
J2thez929 wrote:
SwiperNoSwiping wrote:

Wasn't Green a #1 pick too? like around 16 or 17? They would be releasing one if the cut Green. Also, Butch is gone already isn't he? I thought he was...

I was calling Mikehunt Butch b/c of his comment on releasing Suggs/Green or both.

And yes Green was the 16th pick of the first rd. I don't think they should release him b/c Suggs has been injury prone but they need to give Suggs the full time gig b/c he is clearly the better back
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk