The Bungels Tag Rudi. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Bungels Tag Rudi.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:30 am

last week i thought i made a good call drafting perry late recently in the you dont know jack league. guess that didnt work out so well.

now its up to lamont jordan :-/
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flux » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:38 am

maddog60 wrote:On a side note, whoever said they got nothing for Corey Dillon: look at who they drafted. Williams has become the strongest link in their secondary, and while the Pats certainly got a good end on that deal, so did the Bengals.

Exactly, how was that at all a bad move by the bengals? We got rid of someone who didnt want to be there and was a distraction, and had Rudi in the wings waiting to takeover. Rudi put up very good numbers, which would have been identical or better to what Dillon would have put up, so those 2 are basically a push, meaning we got Williams for free. Not too shabby if you ask me.

Im also tired of people saying they expect the worse out of the bengals and nothing they do is surprising. Apparently you guys havent seen what Marvin has done in his 2 years. Took a crappy team and got them to 8-8 after basically working w/ no FA's since nobody wanted to come to the bengals. Then inserted a QB who had never taken a snap, facing probably the toughest schedule in the league, and once again finished 8-8. Marvin does have a clue folks...
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:25 am

fair enough -- but one instance of improvement after 8-8 is hardly earth sahking either. It was good and I thinkt hey are ehaded in the right direction. But the ownership is the same, and this team has a bad, bad history.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby maddog60 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:46 am

Flux wrote:Im also tired of people saying they expect the worse out of the bengals and nothing they do is surprising. Apparently you guys havent seen what Marvin has done in his 2 years.

Personally I think Marvin Lewis has done an excellent job. It took a lot of guts to put Carson Palmer in there this year, and to stick with him through his growing pains as a QB when you've got Kitna on the bench. They practically sacrificed this entire season by doing that whereas I think with Kitna they would've been playoff contenders, however for the ultimate future of the team I think this was the better move. Sacrifice one year to get that all important franchise QB, who will hopefully provide a decade or so of stability at that position, ready to play.

A good draft and some decent FA pickups, and I see them easily contending for this division (though I think the AFC north will be the most closely fought for division next year).
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:15 pm

eaglesrule wrote:fair enough -- but one instance of improvement after 8-8 is hardly earth sahking either. It was good and I thinkt hey are ehaded in the right direction. But the ownership is the same, and this team has a bad, bad history.

How many NFC teams were 8-8 or better? 7 out of 16. How many AFC teams were 8-8 or better? 10 out of 16. I know this doesn't prove anything, but one could make a case in saying if the Bengals had played in the NFC they could have made the playoffs. Obviously the team is much more focused on winning than any time over the past 10 years. Their defense has improved (at home they were really good), their offense has some good pieces, and Palmer started to come around after a few games.

It's too bad that they might end up losing Rudi, though. He did a lot for that team on the ground last year, and I think he's pretty good. But, I suppose if he wants out and it has nothing to do with money (since he doesn't want the franchise tag which equals a ton of money), good riddance.

Still, it bothers me that he doesn't want to be with an improving team. All the "good" teams already have good RB's...so what are you going to gain going to one of those teams? You probably won't be starting as you would in Cinci. Also, he's not going to get more cash going somewhere else as he isn't even one of the top 5 RB's. Plus, he'll most likely end up in a similar if not worse situation like Miami, Seattle, or Oakland. :-B
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:28 pm

How many NFC teams were 8-8 or better? 7 out of 16. How many AFC teams were 8-8 or better? 10 out of 16. I know this doesn't prove anything, but one could make a case in saying if the Bengals had played in the NFC they could have made the playoffs. Obviously the team is much more focused on winning than any time over the past 10 years. Their defense has improved (at home they were really good), their offense has some good pieces, and Palmer started to come around after a few games.

I knew someone would argue this on those grounds.

First of all, they don't play in the NFC, they play in the AFC. A lot of those NFC teams built figuring they would be chasing the rams -- and the afc builds to contend with the teams in their conference. It is pointless to argue hypotheticals -- so no, you can't make the case that they would make the playoffs. You simply can't tell. It seems to me like washington is more built for the afc than the nfc, and they didn't fare too well.

And lets just say they did make the playoffs. Does that erase their recent to medium term history? I would say no.

One NON-winning season does not all of the sudden make me want to label the organization as savvy. I think Marvin Lewis is doing, and will continue to do a good job. But given their track record, I hestitate to call the organziation "savvy"

Basically what I am saying is that Cincy doesn't get any "benefit of the doubt" considerations.

I still don't know why they don't let rudi walk and apply that money elsewhere. Its still 6 million they don't have to spend. Rudi is good, but he ain't that good. If they think this perry guy is better, why not give him the rock?
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:29 pm

I agree Mercer. Why wouldn't he want to be part of something special that is being worked on in Cincy? I think it's just a matter of time, and they will turn it around.

He is making a horrible decision threatening to hold out this year, in a year when so many backs are available via Free Agency or the draft.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:31 pm

I will agree that it makes no sense from his perspective. The market won't support him -- and this team is on the way up, not down. His eyes are bigger than his stomach I think on this one.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:45 pm

From the Bengals side of things, I think they had to franchise him. They don't want to just give away a really good RB to some other team...they want compensation if they have to lose him. I didn't really know exactly how the franchise thing works, but after I read the NFL.com article about it, I understood it better.

NFL.com wrote:The franchise tag gives the Bengals the option of matching any offer for Johnson, who becomes an unrestricted free agent on March 2. If they choose not to match another offer, the Bengals would get the other team's first-round draft picks in 2005 and 2006 as compensation -- a hefty price that precludes such a move.

It makes him a very dicey choice for other teams, so he'll probably end up staying there. I guess the main issue is him wanting a longer term contract so he could get some salary increases, not so much hating the Bengals organization. I think the threat of sitting out is dumb and obviously doesn't/won't work - especially when you have a first round draft pick RB waiting in the wings and about 10 other decent guys that are looking for a job.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby chaindog35 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:27 pm

I think tagging Rudi was the only option the Bengals had. They haven't seen whether Perry can be the guy in Cincy yet or not and they don't want to spend another pick on a RB. So paying Rudi at that price for 1 year allows them to evaluate Perry and to see whether they need to sign Rudi long term or not. It's not a bad move, it's the only move they can make. As far as the Bengals management, it's been terrible from the time they fired Wyche to the time they hired Lewis. Lewis has done an excellent job and the only criticism i have under his tenure is the drafting of Perry.
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk