My First NFL Mock(with a couple trades) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

My First NFL Mock(with a couple trades)

Moderator: Football Moderators

My First NFL Mock(with a couple trades)

Postby Vikes_Fan2823 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:09 pm

Here is my first attempt at an NFL mock draft, tell me what ya think. (I'm not including trades that involve players)

1.01 Cleveland (from San Francisco) - Aaron Rodgers, QB Cal - Cleveland makes a trade with the 49ers and take Rodgers, a QB for the future. Garcia obviously wasn't the answer, so Rodgers should fill in nicely.

1.02 Miami Dolphins - Cadillac Williams, RB Auburn - The Dolphins have a weak line, so they need a guy who can break tackles, make guys miss, and find holes.

1.03 San Francisco(from Cleveland) - Derrick Johnson, LB, Texas – IMO, the 49ers don’t need a QB. They have Tim Rattay, who I think will be a good QB in a few years. The 49ers take Johnson to fill the void that Julius Peterson will leave.

1.04 Chicago Bears – Mike Williams, WR, USC – The Bears need a wide receiver, and Williams is the best.

1.05 Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Alex Smith, QB Utah – The Bucs would have liked to get Williams, but will most likely stick with Pittman or take a back later. They need a QB for the future, Griese isn’t the answer.

1.06 Tennessee Titans - Antrel Rolle, CB Miami(FL) – Samari Rolle is likely gone in the offseason, so why not grab another Rolle in the draft to fill his spot?

1.07 Oakland Raiders – Cedric Benson, RB Texas– The Raiders desperately need a running back, and Benson is a solid every down back who can carry the load. The should be very happy he fell this far.

1.08 Arizona Cardinals - Ronnie Brown, RB, Auburn – The Cards really need a RB. Emmitt is finally gone, and someone’s gotta carry the load. Brown should be able to handle it.

1.09 Washington Redskins – Erasmus James, DE Wisconson – James goes a little high here, but the Redskins need a good pass rushing end, and James is just that.

1.10 Kansas City Chiefs (from DET) – Adam “Pac-Man” Jones, CB West Virginia – The Chiefs trade up to get some secondary help. Pac-Man should be an immediate impact on the defense.

1.11 Dallas Cowboys – Braylon Edwards, WR Michigan – A lot of people say the Cowboys would take defense, but I think the offense is more of a problem. Edwards would be a solid #2 WR, and the Michigan alum should help Drew Henson.

1.12 San Diego Chargers (from NYG) – Justin Tuck, DE Notre Dame – The Chargers desperately need d-line help, and Tuck is a great pass rusher and should improve the play of the defense by adding a good pass rush.

1.13 Houston Texans – Marcus Spears, DL LSU – The Texans need to get young to get tough on defense, and the line is where you have to start. Spears can bounce between DT and DE and will be a good fit as an end in the 3-4.

1.14 Carolina Panthers – Jammal Brown, OT Oklahoma – Brown will help the Panthers, who really need help on the line. He needs to work on pass blocking, but is already an excellent run blocker.

1.15 Detroit Lions (from KC) – Heath Miller, TE Virginia – The Lions couldn’t take Miller at 10, so they traded down and great a great TE, who should start immediately.

1.16 New Orleans Saints – Channing Crowder, LB Florida – A big stretch, but LB is the Saints biggest need. Crowder can cover the field an should help the sluggish Saints.

1.17 Cincinnati Bengals – Justin Miller, CB Clemson – Miller slides a bit due to his size, but Cincy is looking for a playmaking CB, and Miller is just that. He is a good athlete with very good play and will make some big plays for the Bengals.

1.18 Minnesota Vikings – Shaun Cody, DE USC – The Vikes would like a big DT to play NT in the 3-4, but there just isn’t one available in the draft. Cody is a lot like Hovan, who is leaving in free agency. He should start at DT this year.

1.19 St. Louis Rams – Carlos Rogers, CB Auburn – The Rams need a tackler and a cover guy, and Rogers is both of these. He has good size and will keep up with most NFL wide receivers. A good football attitude, and a tough in-your-face player, maybe he can inspire the rest of the secondary.

1.20 Dallas Cowboys (from BUF) – Anttaj Hawthorne, DT Wisconson – The Cowboys need a guy who can get to the quarterback. This should help their corner play and force more interceptions.

1.21 Jacksonville Jaguars – Shawn Merriman, DE Maryland – The Jags will be ecstatic to get Merriman here, as he slides big time due to his size. He is the last piece of the puzzle for the Jags and will provide that pass rusher they need.

1.22 Baltimore Ravens – Alex Barron, OT Florida St. – A good pass protector to play opposite Ogden should give Boller some confidence. Barron needs to work on run blocking to be an every down player though.

1.23 Seattle Seahawks – Travis Johnson, DT Florida St. – One more good defensive lineman would make the Seahawks line great, so Johnson is the guy the Hawks take.

1.24 Green Bay Packers - Dan Cody, DE Oklahoma – The Packers need d-line help, and Cody is a great pass rusher with a good attitude.

1.25 Denver Broncos – Thomas Davis, S Georgia – The Broncos need a hard nosed hitter at safety, so they will reach here to get Davis. However, if a DT falls(Johnson or Hawthorne) expect them to get one.

1.26 New York Jets – Marlin Jackson, CB Michigan – The Jets need one more playmaking corner to make the defense solid, and Jackson is the guy. He has good size and should make some big plays for the Jets.

1.27 Atlanta Falcons – Mark Clayton, WR Oklahoma – Clayton could finally be the playmaking WR the Falcons were looking for. He will give Vick someone to throw to deep, with his burning speed and playmaking ability.

1.28 San Diego Chargers – Khalif Barnes, OT Washington – The Chargers need a tackle, and Barnes is a great pass blocker with great upside. He needs to work on run blocking if he wants to play a lot in the Chargers offense though.

1.29 Indianapolis Colts – David Pollack, DE Georgia – The Colts get another great pass rusher to play opposite Dwight Freeney. The Colts defense needs a great pass rusher to be successful, and getting Pollack would be a big improvement.

1.30 Pittsburgh Steelers – Corey Webster, CB LSU – A great senior year really helps Webster, and he is just what the Steelers need. A good all-around corner is the last piece of the puzzle for Pittsburgh.

1.31 Philadelphia Eagles – Troy Williamson, WR South Carolina – The Eagles should be finally sick of Mitchell’s mouth, and Williamson gives them a good WR to play opposite T.O.

1.32 New England Patriots – Ernest Shazor, S, Michigan – The Pats proved they need depth at secondary this year, and they also need a free safety. Shazor should start right away, and fill that hole for the Pats.

Hope you all liked it, I’d appreciate some feedback!
Last edited by Vikes_Fan2823 on Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16-team PPR Keeper League
QB: T. Romo, V. Young
RB: M. Turner, B. Wells, T. Hightower
WR: A. Johnson, J. Ford, N. Burleson, A. Roberts, J. Simpson
TE: D. Clark, J. Cook
K: R. Gould
D/ST: Cardinals
Vikes_Fan2823
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:36 pm

Pretty interesting..I would be curious on what you did for the Lions trades...Looks like the Chiefs got the Lions pick at 10, But the Lions got the Saints pick at 15?

So the Saints had 15 and 16? Just curious to what the trades were or how you figured that out...But pretty interesting.

I would be surprised to see Cadillac higher than Benson...I think I would make Cedric the #1 RB selected..

Nice post!
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Vikes_Fan2823 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:39 pm

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:So the Saints had 15 and 16? Just curious to what the trades were or how you figured that out...But pretty interesting.

Nope, just a typo I fixed it.
16-team PPR Keeper League
QB: T. Romo, V. Young
RB: M. Turner, B. Wells, T. Hightower
WR: A. Johnson, J. Ford, N. Burleson, A. Roberts, J. Simpson
TE: D. Clark, J. Cook
K: R. Gould
D/ST: Cardinals
Vikes_Fan2823
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby CC » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:43 pm

I don't think Cadillac is the #1 back, in my opinion he is 3rd behind Cedric and Ronnie Brown.

I can't see the 49ers drafting a LB that high (maybe if they trade way down) with their needs at QB and OL.

I think Tuck is a but too high, he is a late 1st early 2nd pick IMo.

While Barron's stock is slipping, Jamaal Brown hasn't passed him out and the Ravens already have two very good tackles (Ogden and Zeus)

Thomas Davis won't be around at 25.

Eugene Wilson and Rodney Harrison are firmly entrenched at saftey for the Pats.

All around, I thought this was a pretty decent draft, and it is really good for your 1st attempt. I like the players you have in the 1st round but I disagree with your rankings of some player. Very good 1st effort!
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:02 pm

Vikes_Fan2823 wrote:
SwiperNoSwiping wrote:So the Saints had 15 and 16? Just curious to what the trades were or how you figured that out...But pretty interesting.

Nope, just a typo I fixed it.

Cool, I was just confused! I would be surprised if the Lions went TE. I think they really should go after Davis and improve the secondary. But I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they traded down, just far enough where they still could get him.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby gatorman1122 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:49 pm

1.05 Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Alex Smith, QB Utah – The Bucs would have liked to get Williams, but will most likely stick with Pittman or take a back later. They need a QB for the future, Griese isn’t the answer.

I highly doubt it...Nothing here in Tampa seems to indicate so...Griese will get resigned plus they still have Chris Simms...IMO Alex Smith is just a product of Meyer's spread offense system...
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Atog » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:38 pm

i can see the Lions taking a TE for their TE-less offense, but i'm curious as to see who you think they'd trade for.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby MCG321 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:47 pm

The Eagles have a bunch of picks, so depending on whether they sign any big-name WRs or RBs in free agency, I'd imagine that they trade up and get more of an impact player.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:54 pm

All in all a good mock, but a see some problems that I think stand out......

I could see Cleveland trading up, but the problem is I just dont think they will do it with Rodgers being the best available QB.

Cedric Benson is the #1 back.

Alex Smith won't go to Tampa, they will choose Caddy or Ronnie. Griese had a great second half and he isn't very old.

Justin Tuck on paper looks to be probably the most athletic DE in the draft, but he wont go that high. Late first, early second.

Alex Barron should go top 12.

Anttaj Hawthorne could not possibly go any worse than 18. If he is available, the Vikings would take him in a heartbeat.

Thomas Davis, like Alex Barron, should go top 12.

I believe that Corey Webster is better than Marlin Jackson.

Solid mock, though.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby kevinoc81 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:48 am

Solid mock definately. Some comments (most mentioned already):

I think Benson will be the #1 back taken.

You, like every other mock on the cafe, have Williams going to Chicago. I have said repeatedly that I am pretty content with Williams or Edwards going to Chi-town, but every mock from news sources (fox sports, ESPN, etc.) has Edwards going there. Interesting difference. AS long as they get a WR (and Porter :-b ).

The Bucs will not take Smith. They will grab one of the Auburn RBs (hopefully Brown). They have Griese there, and I doubt they have given up on Simms yet.

As a die-hard ND fan, I would love to see Tuck go at #12, but I don't think he will go that early.

I think Miller is a stupid pick for the Lions. I think they should go defense. Who knows what the Lions will do though.

Thomas Davis seems low at #25.

Great mock though. One of the better one's I've seen.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk