Sold! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Minnesota Vikings

Sold!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Sold!

Postby Vikes_Fan2823 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:50 pm

http://vikings.scout.com/2/352253.html

The scene at Winter Park was about as hectic as it gets Monday -- a room full of reporters, camera operators and hot lights. The room was so packed that new prospective owner Reggie Fowler has flop-seat coming down his head like a scene out of "Broadcast News."

But now it's time for Vikings fans to once again begin sweating.

Red McCombs announced Monday that he has reach agreement to sell the team to Fowler for a reported $625 million. But, there are many more questions than answers that came out of the press conference.

When asked if there was any scenario under which he would relocate the Vikings, Fowler said "no" -- adding that the tradition of Vikings football is tied to Minnesota. But beyond that, answers were hard to come by.

Fowler declined to discuss his partners, which have been identified as a couple of New Jersey real estate magnates. He also declined to discuss what makes him believe he can get a stadium deal done where McCombs had failed.

But perhaps most worrisome is that he declined to explain what sort of role the old ownership and new group will play during the transition.

Free agency begins March 2 and draft preparation is already underway. But, with the Vikings reaching agreement on a sale, the matter now moves forward to the NFL finance committee, which will look over Fowler's financial books March 9. If approved, the sale will come to a vote of owners March 23.

In the interim, McCombs and his people will still run the team, but there is no apparent consensus on what will happen to the decision-making process. Will McCombs still be able to sign free agents until the team is officially sold? If he does, who would pay the signing bonus money? You can bet it won't be Red, which left many of the throng that made Fowler sweat with more questions after the press conference that it had before.
16-team PPR Keeper League
QB: T. Romo, V. Young
RB: M. Turner, B. Wells, T. Hightower
WR: A. Johnson, J. Ford, N. Burleson, A. Roberts, J. Simpson
TE: D. Clark, J. Cook
K: R. Gould
D/ST: Cardinals
Vikes_Fan2823
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby King_Portis » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:50 pm

Until its signed and sealed, I'm not going to get my hopes up. I just hope McCombs doesn't penny pinch through free agency. I don't think this team is that far off from being in the super bowl.
King_Portis
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Location: Sit back and enjoy as I make my way into the record books in 2005.

Postby Bennett4prez » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:19 pm

King_Portis wrote:Until its signed and sealed, I'm not going to get my hopes up. I just hope McCombs doesn't penny pinch through free agency. I don't think this team is that far off from being in the super bowl.

You obviously don't know Red...
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby King_Portis » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:41 am

Yes, I'm aware that "Mr. Purple Pride" is cheap but I'm hoping here that since the team isn't "his" any more, he'll spend the other owners dough.
King_Portis
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Location: Sit back and enjoy as I make my way into the record books in 2005.

Postby Bennett4prez » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:43 am

If it were that easy. Any free agent that is signed would come out of Fowler's pocket, but BOTH owners would need to agree on the signing. Hopefully, we can add Cowart, a CB, and pick up Hawthorne or on of the Codys in the draft.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Minnesota Vikings