Chargers To Franchise QB Brees - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chargers To Franchise QB Brees

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby 34=Sweetness » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:26 pm

Great decision. This means they will compete next year, and they can still get something for Rivers, since I think he is overrated and won't amount to anything.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Lung » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:31 pm

General manager A.J. Smith said Tuesday that the Chargers are close to announcing their decision on Brees' future with the team, the North County Times reports.

Recommendation: It is expected that Smith will designate Brees with the franchise tag, rather than allow the QB to become a free agent. If given the franchise label, Brees would remain Chargers property and earn $8.078 million next season. The Chargers would of course still have the option of trading Brees to make room for future franchise QB Philip Rivers. We'll keep you posted on this situation. (Rotowire.com)

(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby mutantseabass » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:27 pm

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:18 pm

And good for them to do. I mean, the best case scenario with Rivers is that in 3 years he's playing like Brees is now. It sucks they invested money into a young franchise QB, but if Brees proves to be no fluke, then the Chargers have to stick with him.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MadScott » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:28 pm

chaindog35 wrote:i think SD needed to do this with Brees to see if this year was an aberration or the real thing. If he does well next year, look for them to trade rivers and sign brees long term
This is exactly what John Clayton was saying the other day. Basically, this gives them a year to figure out if Brees is the real deal or not. If he falls on his face this next year, off he goes and Rivers is the guy there. If he puts up another all-pro season like this year, it frees them to ship Rivers down the.....err....river and get good value in return. Apparently the plan is to showcase Rivers during the preseason this year.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk