Attention Stephen Jackson owners - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Attention Stephen Jackson owners

Moderator: Football Moderators

Attention Stephen Jackson owners

Postby mutantseabass » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:28 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

Good news for all you dynasty Jackson owners

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guttpuppy » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:32 pm

From PFW's Whispers a few weeks ago...

"Don’t be shocked if the Rams spend one of their first-day draft picks on a running back because of concerns about 2004 first-round draft pick Steven Jackson’s durability."
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Horizons » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:03 pm

Thanks for the tip. ;-D
It also appears Faulk will continue to steal some of Jackson's value with his patented catch out of the backfield and as a change of pace back. I had Faulk and Jackson last year and it wasn't the best of situations FF-wise. I'm not sure I'll even look their way next year if any better options are available. JMO
Don't give up the ship...........sell it!!
Horizons
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 12)
Location: Somewhere on the "Trail of Tears" between the tube and GameCenter

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:04 pm

Guttpuppy wrote:From PFW's Whispers a few weeks ago...

"Don’t be shocked if the Rams spend one of their first-day draft picks on a running back because of concerns about 2004 first-round draft pick Steven Jackson’s durability."

I wouldn't sweat that. The Rams did the same thing with Trung Canidate when Faulk was the man and it didn't really amount to much.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby IRON CHEF » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:16 pm

As expected, SJ is gradually becoming the sucessor and very worthy feature back he was drafted to be. Faulk's days of fantasy relevancy are all but over, he'll mostly be relegated to 3rd down and change of pace duties.

I wouldn't look too much into that PFW comment. Given the fact that Faulk's career is waning and Gordon is gone, I'm sure we'll target a serviceable backup, but there are other problems to worry about early in the draft.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Lung » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:23 pm

Jackson to start ahead of Faulk next season
By R.B. FALLSTROM, AP Sports Writer
February 16, 2005

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Marshall Faulk is about to begin the second phase of his career -- as a backup.

St. Louis Rams coach Mike Martz said Wednesday that next season Faulk, the NFL MVP in 2000, will be a change-of-pace running back behind Steven Jackson. Jackson was the Rams' first-round draft pick last year and the two essentially shared first-string duties this season.

Faulk helped the Rams go to two Super Bowls in a three-year span from 1999-2001 and was the first player in NFL history with four consecutive seasons gaining a combined 2,000 yards rushing and receiving. But he has been slowed in recent seasons by numerous knee operations. His last 1,000-yard rushing year was 2001, and last year he totaled 774 yards and a 4.0-yard average to go with 50 catches for 310 yards.

In the last two years of his 11-year career he has had his lowest rushing totals since 1996.

Jackson, the first running back taken in the 2004 draft, had 673 yards and a 5.0-yard average.

Martz said sharing the position last year will allow Faulk to enter training camp essentially injury-free, and his best value to the team might be as a receiving threat.

``It gives him the best opportunity to go in there and have a terrific impact on the game,'' Martz said. ``Because now you've got him unencumbered, so to speak, where he's fresher throughout the game.

``Then you've got the young guy who is the big physical guy who carries the load, so I think it's a terrific 1-2 punch.''

Jackson alluded to the move during the playoffs when he mentioned the Rams were in the process of ``passing the torch'' from Faulk to him. Martz said Faulk had no problem with making this transition.

``Marshall was probably ready to do that during the season,'' Martz said. ``He's so excited for Steven, he really is. He wants to be there for Steven and help him and still have his role.''

Faulk is in the final year of his contract, and Martz believes being a backup could extend his career. He has missed 12 games the last three seasons.

``How long this is, I don't know,'' Martz said. ``We'll see how this year goes.''

Jackson missed two games with a bruised knee, an injury the Rams believe was caused by the rock-hard artificial surface at the Edward Jones Dome. The Rams are trying to get the dome landlords to install a new rubberized surface for next year to protect their investment in Jackson and others.

Faulk is fourth on the career touchdown list with 135 and 12th in rushing with 11,987 yards after passing O.J. Simpson and John Riggins last season.

Martz also said that Jeff Smoker, a sixth-round pick last year, would be the backup quarterback behind Marc Bulger. Chris Chandler was the backup last season, Smoker was the third quarterback and had no game action. But Martz said he did a good job of picking up the system.

``He's really progressed,'' Martz said.

I think this news on Jackson was conventional wisdom, but it's nice to hear it "officially."
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Azrael » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:25 pm

He should have been playing more this year.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby The Lung » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:41 pm

Rams: Marshall plan altered
by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Thursday, February 17, 2005

News
Rams head coach Mike Martz announced on Wednesday that Stephen Jackson has surpassed Marshall Faulk on the team's depth chart and will be their primary running back next season, reported the Associated Press. "It gives [Faulk] the best opportunity to go in there and have a terrific impact on the game. Because now you've got him unencumbered, so to speak, where he's fresher throughout the game. Then you've got the young guy who is the big physical guy who carries the load, so I think it's a terrific 1-2 punch," Martz said. "Marshall was probably ready to do that during the season. He's so excited for Steven, he really is. He wants to be there for Steven and help him and still have his role." Faulk, 31, has missed 12 games over the last three seasons because of injuries and has undergone multiple operations on his knees. He ran for 774 yards last season, his lowest total since 1996. Jackson, St. Louis' first-round pick in last year's draft, ran for 673 yards and four touchdowns in 2004.

Views
If Jackson performs well in training camp and holds on to the top spot, it will mark the end of an era for Faulk, who was fantasy football's top performer earlier in the century. Jackson averaged five yards per carry last season and ran for over 100 yards in both of the games that he received at least 20 carries. Their fantasy values next season will depend on how their roles are defined by Martz and if the mad scientist/ head coach can actually commit to the run, but Faulk's value will likely be at its lowest since he was a rookie in 1994.
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:09 pm

Azrael wrote:He should have been playing more this year.

i agree. he looked good when he was in there. i think he will be a future stud ;-D
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:40 pm

Wow that is huge...And to announce it now in February really is something.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk