Most Overrated Player going into 2005 = Willis McGahee - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Most Overrated Player going into 2005 = Willis McGahee

Moderator: Football Moderators

Most Overrated Player going into 2005 = Willis McGahee

Postby ejwild » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:19 pm

Man...maybe it is just bitterness that I got rid of him too soon, but seriously. He played some AWFUL defenses on his ride last year.

He isn't THAT much better than Henry. (Henry wasn't a top 5 back in that offense)

He has yet to prove his durability.

I'm not saying he's not a top 10 back...but 3? C'mon....I sense a little bandwagon jumping here....

I would NOT draft him in the top 5 next year.

other thoughts?
It's a great day to play Football.
ejwild
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:45 pm

This is something I actually hadn't thought about,but I kind of agree.McGahee saved my team last year,and it's possible that it might stick in my head until next year and cause me to spend a pick on him way too early.But I really don't think I had him in my top 5 anyway.I mean,you still have all the standbys like Priest,LT,Edge,Alexander,Deuce,and Ahman Green.Some of those guys may have dissappointed this year,but are still proven and should be rated higher than Willis.I'd still have to throw in Martin and Barber higher than him as well.But thanks for making me think on this one.Good post!
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby awwchrist » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:48 pm

Top 3 is ridiculous. Top 10 is much more realistic. Where are you getting the notion he's going top 3?
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J2thez929 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:49 pm

awwchrist wrote:Top 3 is ridiculous. Top 10 is much more realistic. Where are you getting the notion he's going top 3?

He was taken 2nd overall in our mock II draft
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby onepunch » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:50 pm

I'll respect anyone's opinion in these forums. I'll also respect their opinions no matter how wrong they may be, like in this case. No offense, but get off the pipe and go directly to rehab. I'm truly worried about you guys. Just funnin. I got McGahee and it is refreshing to hear a different point of view. That still doesn't make it right or that I agree, but refreshing none the less.
Hello cool world!!!
onepunch
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:55 pm

onepunch wrote:I'll respect anyone's opinion in these forums. I'll also respect their opinions no matter how wrong they may be, like in this case. No offense, but get off the pipe and go directly to rehab. I'm truly worried about you guys. Just funnin. I got McGahee and it is refreshing to hear a different point of view. That still doesn't make it right or that I agree, but refreshing none the less.

So are you saying he is deserving of a top three pick?I'm with you,everyone is entitled to their own opinion,but is he rated higher than the guys I mentioned?In your book I mean.Don't cause me to waffle on this!
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby onepunch » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:04 pm

I wouldn't hesitate to take him at 1.3 in a redraft or dynasty. Obviously if your qb gets 6 points for a td, go with Manning before McGahee. Every mock I've seen has had him #3 or #4 overall. I will look up who he (McGahee) played against and see what merit there is to him playing weak defenses down the stretch. Of course I see people getting excited over Julius and while he isn't being drafted top 5, he really only had 2 good games all year and no good rushing numbers against moderate, let alone good or great defenses.
Hello cool world!!!
onepunch
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CC » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:09 pm

I have him at 5 behind LT, Alexander, Edge, and Priest.

In a keeper or dynasty his value increases. When you watch him play, you can tell he is going to be special.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:07 pm

J2thez929 wrote:
awwchrist wrote:Top 3 is ridiculous. Top 10 is much more realistic. Where are you getting the notion he's going top 3?

Yeah, no offense to whoever took him that high in our draft, but #2 overall is really early. The Bills are going with a rookie quarterback in 2005, which doesn't bode too well for McGahee since defenses will likely key in on him and force Losman. I'm not saying McGahee won't have a nice year in 2005, I just don't think he deserves top-3 status. Top-8 for sure, but #2 overall is a stretch.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:16 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
J2thez929 wrote:

Yeah, no offense to whoever took him that high in our draft, but #2 overall is really early. The Bills are going with a rookie quarterback in 2005, which doesn't bode too well for McGahee since defenses will likely key in on him and force Losman. I'm not saying McGahee won't have a nice year in 2005, I just don't think he deserves top-3 status. Top-8 for sure, but #2 overall is a stretch.

I'm sure Bledsoe was the assumed QB when the mock was done but your point is well noted. It is a fact that most are a little too high on McGahee but he truly is talented. His 4.0 ypc doesn't jump out at you but his 13 TDs in really about 10 games does. Great nose for the endzone, yes the passing game helped get him in position to scored, but I believe he conversely helped open up the passing game to start with. His combination of youth and early success clearly have caused him to be highly valued and he played longer this year than JJ so that's a factor. More TDs than KJ. Bottom line is that I think many are looking for the next young star back and Willis looks the most likely. He is worthy of the third slot for that reason but should be a few lower in redrafts due to the Losman factor primarily.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk