Most Overrated Player going into 2005 = Willis McGahee - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Most Overrated Player going into 2005 = Willis McGahee

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby HoleInTheWallGang » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:42 am

Lets face it with Losman at the helm now, McGahee is going to be their go to guy.....Can you say "TOUCHDOWN MACHINE"
My Keepers For 2005
Willis McGahee
Curtis Martin ;-D WooHoo!
McGahee will be BANGIN' IT
HoleInTheWallGang
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby JohnnyUnitas » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:55 am

I don't believe McGahee will be a bust. I'd still take LT2, Priest, Edge and Alexander before him, but remember last year was McGahee's first real year of action after he missed his 1st season cuz of injury. So unlike Priest and Edge, McGahee will get even better over time.
JohnnyUnitas
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby cruiz03 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:29 pm

I agree, he will not be a bust and he will get better. Do I think he's a top 3 guy, absolutely NOT.

Some of you have said that Bledso was not a good QB, than prepare yourself for the worst, cause it's not going to get any better. Yes, Bledso did not have a good year, but mark my words Losman will not reach Bledso's number from last year in the upcoming 2 season.

The facts:

- The O line gave up over 50 sacks last year and gave up more negative yardage plays than any other team.
- Bledso stats for last year where not as bad as you thought:
3000 yds, 21td's and 16 Ints's.

Good luck getting those numbers Losman, and while you struggle, have fun looking at 9 men in the box.

Yup, Willis is an incredible RB, I just don't know how much you can expect from a RB that is in the best defensive conference in the league which will be looking to take Willis out!

You've been warned.
cruiz03
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby HoleInTheWallGang » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:40 pm

Thought about that. As long as he averages 100 yards a game and 1 score I'll be happy.
MyKeepers For 2005
Willis McGahee
Curtis Martin
HoleInTheWallGang
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Sixxgunn » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:40 pm

cruiz03 wrote:I agree, he will not be a bust and he will get better. Do I think he's a top 3 guy, absolutely NOT.

Some of you have said that Bledso was not a good QB, than prepare yourself for the worst, cause it's not going to get any better. Yes, Bledso did not have a good year, but mark my words Losman will not reach Bledso's number from last year in the upcoming 2 season.

The facts:

- The O line gave up over 50 sacks last year and gave up more negative yardage plays than any other team.
- Bledso stats for last year where not as bad as you thought:
3000 yds, 21td's and 16 Ints's.

Good luck getting those numbers Losman, and while you struggle, have fun looking at 9 men in the box.

Yup, Willis is an incredible RB, I just don't know how much you can expect from a RB that is in the best defensive conference in the league which will be looking to take Willis out!

You've been warned.

Part of this was Bledsoe falling asleep in the pocket and not getting rid of the ball quick enough,which was the reason for installing an alarm clock in his helmet.McGahee did alot of dancing in the backfield on certain plays,ala Barry Sanders trying to make something happen and also contributed to the negative yardage totals.So all in all,it's really going to be decided on whether JP can get rid of it fast enough,and not stand like a Drew in the headlights.And not to bag ya or nothing,but it's Bledsoe,with an E.Just a heads up.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Trainer of Dolphins » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:18 pm

I am not sold on McGahee yet. "He will be the go to guy" I remember hearing the same thing last year about Kevan Barlow, and we all know how that turned out. I dont like the fact they got rid of Bledsoe. A good RB still cant run against 8 in the box all of the time. They tried it with bad qbs in SF and MIA last year and it doesn't work. You have to be able to pass some, I dont look for Buff to make the playoffs next year. While McGahee will be better than Barlow for sure I think he will be top 10 but thats all I will give
Trainer of Dolphins
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Trainer of Dolphins » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:23 pm

As for Brian Westbrook I donjt like him next year either. If TO manages to get hurt again then yeah, but when he isn't 100% the focus of the offense then he tends to disappear, so even if his year end stats are good you may end up being a .500 team winning big and losing big on different weeks. I am a head to head player, and I dont like small inconsistent RBs who catch most of their tds
Trainer of Dolphins
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby quickm0ng00se » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:24 pm

Something that tends to get overlooked a bit, is McGahees' hunger for the game. The amount of work and effort it took for him to come back, nevermind come back and look great, is nothing short of amazing. His work ethic is fantastic. I like to see that in a young player.

Perfect example-

Peyton Manning. When he came out of school I heard more about his work ethic than his physical skills. Didn't have a cannon arm, wasn't that mobile, etc. Look where it got him.

My point is this. I see a hunger in McGahee that is refreshing.

In regards to the comparison to Barlow.... Yes some of the same things were said about him going into last year. However, watching McGahee play, there is no doubt, (well to me anyway), who of the two is the better back.

Originally posted by T.O.D.
A good RB still cant run against 8 in the box all of the time.
Emphasis added.

No, but a great back can do just fine. :-b

How did LT2 do in San Diego all those years? Is McGahhe as good as LT2? Only time will tell. I for one think the best is yet to come.

QM
quickm0ng00se
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Gunslinger » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:09 am

I keep hearing that Losman will hurt McGahee's numbers but I didn't see the Bus break down when Big Ben took over. I saw a conservative game plan that was run-first but had 2 talented WRs to stretch the field in Ward and Plax. Seems like a similar situation +/- some talent at OL. I think Moulds and Evans are good enough to be able to stretch defenses and, from what I hear, Losman has a laser when he's on his game. I think if McGahee stays healthy he'll have a solid shot at finishing top 5.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Azrael » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:41 am

Everyone knows I love McGahee and I know I've made several elaborate arguments for his value being top 5. I see alot of people saying "why is this guy getting drafted so high???" and then they try to make excuses why he won't do well rather than try to explain why other people will do better than him. The fact is that the guy averaged over 100 yards a game and scored 13 TDs in 11 starts. Are we forgetting this? 11 starts. That means he played only 2/3 of the year...and most experts are recognizing him as the catalyst that propelled the Bills playoff push. Had he started the whole year, the Bills may make the playoffs, but the guy probably has 1,600+ yards and 20TDs and then is this even a discussion. Do the doubters realize he put up his stats in 11 games?

Anyway, I haven't seen anyone rank anybody other than LT, Priest, Alexander, James, and Culpepper ahead of him. I'll buy LT, Priest, and even Alexander though I personally think McGahee will outproduce him next year all things being equal (ie. neither guy gets hurt).

I don't see why James is in the discussion. The fact that the Colts love to throw the ball on the goalline scares me a little about Edge's prospective TDs. I don't buy the argument that they were trying to get Manning the record. In the last 4 or 5 games, yes. In the first 11, No. Yet they still played the same way the whole year. It was just when Manning started pushing the record that it largely became recognized that they threw the ball alot inside the 5. So I throw Edge out.

And QBs I throw out because there is no way a QB is worth a first round pick to me. Just go look at our Mock Drafts and look at the guys' teams who took Manning and Cupepper in the Mock 1 and Manning, McNabb, and Culpepper in Mock 2. To me this illustrates perfectly that your value suffers too much at RB especially and even WR. The Lung did about as good as you can drafting after you take a QB in the first round and I still think he is hurting too much at RB to win a championship unless he gets some breaks. J2the929's team doesn't look so bad but only because Steven Jackson is now the starter, but he was drafted before that news was reported.

So the 3 guys I'll grant are LT, Holmes, and Alexander. After that who else you got for me? You say McGahee is overrated but who do you put ahead of him?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk