Most Overrated Player going into 2005 = Willis McGahee - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Most Overrated Player going into 2005 = Willis McGahee

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Sixxgunn » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:49 pm

Azrael wrote:One key element of being successful at fantasy football that alot of people haven't grasped is that if you wait until a player "proves" himself before you draft him then you've already lost. Each year you must find the players that you think will do really well that have not had standout years yet.

My team from the MIKL league is a perfect example. Here's my starters and where I drafted them in parens.

QB Pennington (5th)...but mainly I used WW guys like Collins, Bledsoe, and Volek all year

RB Edge (1st), T. Jones (3rd) (but also Goings from WW)

WR CJ (2nd), J. Walker (4th), Wayne (8th)

TE Crumpler (6th)

K Akers (12th)

Pitt D (16th)

This team went 12-4 and won the last 7 in a row for the championship. I credit 2 picks for this. Wayne and Walker, neither of which have made it out of the 3rd round in our 2 twelve teams cafe mocks (Ex Early Mock, Mock 2). That ended up giving me three top 9 receivers, which far outweighed my very weak QB position and somewhat 2nd RB position.

Basically what I am saying is that if you are waiting for players to become full blown studs or otherwise full time fantasy starters for everyone before you draft them then you are behind the game or just another average fantasy football owner.

Obviously with McGahee it's a little bit different scenario. We are talking about a side that argues he is top 5 versus people arguing top 10. But again we come back to the same argument, he hasn't "proven" to some people that he is top 5. Once he does, then it's too late.

Touche...I think I know when I'm beaten....
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:32 pm

Horizons wrote:So Azrael, in order to reach this "Zen-like" state of enlightenment are you extolling the virtue that "knowledge is power" or whispering, "viva Las Vegas", in our ears? ;-)

Both. :-D But actually it's wisdom you seek, not knowledge. For knowledge is just the accumulation of facts but wisdom is the productive application of knowledge. ;-)
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Horizons » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:37 pm

Azrael wrote:
Horizons wrote:So Azrael, in order to reach this "Zen-like" state of enlightenment are you extolling the virtue that "knowledge is power" or whispering, "viva Las Vegas", in our ears? ;-)

Both. :-D But actually it's wisdom you seek, not knowledge. For knowledge is just the accumulation of facts but wisdom is the productive application of knowledge. ;-)

lol, ur tha man ;-)
Go Orangemen ;-D
Don't give up the ship...........sell it!!
Horizons
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 12)
Location: Somewhere on the "Trail of Tears" between the tube and GameCenter

Postby HoleInTheWallGang » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:05 am

The stats that TheOneManShow26 refers to look to me like the Bills couldn't make up thier mind as to weather or not to go with a ground game or an air attack first and formost. This year I don't think there will be any doubt about it. They will run first and Losman's arm will keep Defenses honest. Look at the Bengals last year; Rook QB and Rudi had an outstanding season and, in my opinion Johnson is a top 10 back. He sure isn't McGahee.
My Keepers For 2005
Willis McGahee
Curtis Martin[/quote]
HoleInTheWallGang
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby black_hawk8888 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:32 am

When I draft RBs, I look at how similar their situation for the coming year is to the previous year. Thats why I drafted SA at #2 in a redraft last year. Nothing was changing for him - same team, same OL, same OC, mostly the same opponents.

With so many questions about SA and Edge, the clear #2 back in dynasty leagues is Willis. He is in a long term situation with no OL turnover, the same defense, the same OC, etc. Besides, he himself said that his knee was never 100% last year. Give him an offseason after less than 300 carries and I think he will be scary. Anyone remember him in college? They were saying he was the next Sweetness. Then he gets hurt and everyone forgets him. Now he's healthy and in an established situation that emphasizes the run - he could get 30 carries a game.

Besides - any time Buffalo is in the red zone you know that willis will get the rock because they won't let Losman loose on the goal line.
Major props to the sig master. Deluxe is da man!
black_hawk8888
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Still staring in horror as Palmer's knee buckles on the 2nd snap of the game...

Previous

Return to Football Talk