Breakouts from 2004 WR class - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Breakouts from 2004 WR class

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:55 am

Kensat30 wrote:
OwenTheBlonde wrote:And actually I just poked my head back in and there's debate about Woods' route-running. Pretty divided. All agree he's fast and deserves a shot though. A couple of Jimmy Smith comparisons. It'll be interesting to see if he's a starter for a team that will still have to pass all the time. There are some who want Mike Williams but most want D.

Woods looks like a major work in progress IMO. He seems to have all the measurable: size, speed, power, etc. but he's missing a lot of the intangibles. I'm less concerned with his route running and more with his inability to make catches.

I know he didn't get much playing time in 2004, but whenever I saw him play it seemed like he had trouble catching any ball outside of the window (chest area). Never once saw him make a tough catch in traffic, but then again he didn't get a lot of opportunities. I know it takes a lot of time for a WR to develop, despite all the rookie and sophmore WRs that have been stepping up lately, but Woods just doesn't seem like he will ever been a solid starter in the NFL to me.

He needs to get on that training regime that Javon Walker went on in the offseason. But wait, I've also heard that he is a "do only as much as is necessary type guy". Too bad the Niner's missed out on all the top WRs in the draft, if Mike Williams came out we woulda landed a stud at #15.

Might take a look at this article I just ran into. I think he has a chance and could be a definite sleeper pick this year since he's committed and apparently the team is committed to him.

"Woods will get his opportunity to change that this season under a new head coach, a new offensive coordinator and a new receivers coach – Jerry Sullivan – who is considered one of the NFL’s elite mentors of young receivers.

The slate has been wiped clean. Woods, ostensibly, will get another chance to become the team’s No. 1 receiver – or, at worst, a starter – in his sophomore NFL season."

http://49ers.scout.com/2/353435.html
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk