Offseason Discussion of the Week: Part 1, 2ND TIER RB'S - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Offseason Discussion of the Week: Part 1, 2ND TIER RB'S

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby MeShawn » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:42 pm

This place is so quiet it's getting frusterating. I feel like starting up some discussion, in the way of rankings. The fantasy season is still a long ways away, but there's still alot to debate about. I will choose an interesting, very debatable topic and will give you guys a list of 10 or so players. You rank them, maybe give a comment or two, and then I'll compile the rankings at the end of the week.

ZIG did something similar on the baseball cafe and it's pretty informative (Toss up of the week)

Anyways, enough with the explanation.

------------------------------------------

For the 2005 fantasy season, it feels strange becuase there doesn't seem to be that many "stand-out" RB's who carry low risk. There's LT, Alexander, Edge, and McGahee but then everyone else is jumbled up and everyone seems to rank them differently. Even Alexander and Edge have concerns with new scenarios and some are still concerned about McGahee's knee. Also, it feels strange becuase guys like Manning, C-Pepp, Randy, TO and D-Mac are strangely finding themselves drafted in the first round of many drafts. That could mean the RB's you draft in the 2nd and 3rd rounds are do or die.

This week, please rank the following players:

Ahman Green
Corey Dillon
Chris Brown
Deuce McAllister
Jamal Lewis
Clinton Portis
Dominick Davis
Tiki Barber
Curtis Martin
Kevin Jones
Rudi Johnson
Brian Westbrook
Stephen Jackson
Julius Jones

NOTE: Please assume this is a redraft league

If this idea completely tanks, just forget about it. But I think it should be pretty good and helpful. Not to mention it should initiate some discussion.
Last edited by MeShawn on Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sig courtesy of madaslives911.
MeShawn
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby South Park Cows » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:14 pm

1. Deuce McAllister
2. Corey Dillon
3. Ahman Green
4. Dominick Davis
5. Clinton Portis
6. Jamal Lewis
7. Kevin Jones
8. Chris Brown
9. Rudi Johnson
10. Brian Westbrook
11. Stephen Jackson
12. Julius Jones
13. Tiki Barber
14. Curtis Martin

note: I doubt I could dig up the facts to prove my list. This is just my gut feeling of where I think they'll end up at the end of the season.
South Park Cows
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby goleafsgo96 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:15 pm

Green goes at the top
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:24 pm

I love the idea MeShawn. It's kind of a subjective line drawn, however, on where the 2nd tier is drawn. I'm a believer that this could be the deepest RB draft that FF may have.

Here goes:

Ahman Green--Had down 2004 but is still at his career height. Has at least one more great year in him.

Clinton Portis--He is way too talented to have another season like last year. Give Gibbs and Co. another year and they should patch that Oline and fix the running game.

Deuce McAllister--Change at Ocoordinator should make all of the difference in the world. Way too talented not be used better. Expect a monster year.

Jamal Lewis--Another solid year. Needs a healthy oline and better QB play to be able to reach full potential.

Chris Brown--A true stud in the making. I would like to see him become mroe well rounded and catch more passes but was tallying 100 yds. in a half before the turf toe occurred. Should be fine even if McNair retires.

Dominick Davis--A true up and comer. One of the new breed of all purpose backs. Answered many questions in my mind about durability last season. I look for him to continue to mature in that offense that is one the verge of great things.

Corey Dillon--Phenomenal 2004 campaign. I have concerns about his age but I did last year too. I think losing Weiss may hurt this team but until I see it, he's a top flight back.

Julius Jones--Finished his rookie campaign with a bang. I rate him ahead of KJ simply because I think he will be featured more in Dallas. Needs improved QB play. Durability questions.

Kevin Jones--Finally showed some of his potential late in the year. Will only get better with more snaps in the league. Will be helped by a healthy Rogers back at WR and an offense hitting on all cylinders.

Rudi Johnson--In my mind proved to me he is a legit starter in the NFL. Played a brutal schedule and actually performed well in it. He could go up depending on where he lands.

Brian Westbrook--He does produce. I start the next tier of player here simply because he loses touches. TD producer though.

Tiki Barber--Great 2004 for Tiki. I think age and a lack of offensive talent are going to impair his ability this season.

Curtis Martin--What a phenomenal 2004 for Curtis. How many times has this guy had the dirt thrown on him only to pop out of the grave. I think he can still produce but now the odds are big time against him. At some point, the pounding is going to catch up.

Stephen Jackson--I like this kid but he is not in a good situation right now in St. Louis. Martz doesn't really know how to handle a legit 25-30 carry/game back. Add in the fact that Faulk should snag his fair share of carries and I think he will improve on his rookie campaign but won't go hogwild.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby UNDEFEATED » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:35 pm

RB Rankings 6-19 in a redraft

This is gonna be hard. Cuz all these guys are so close to eachother.

I am just gonna break them up into tiers.

-Jamal Lewis-should have a clear mind

-Clinton Portis-Had everything but TDs last season. touches and Yards.

-Corey Dillon-Extremely consistent hard nose runner-Playing for incentives is always a motivator

-Domanick Davis- Run-n catch. He is etched into the Houston offense. Carr knows exactly where he is on the field

-Rudi Johnson- Palmers growing pains affected his consistency last season not this one.

tier break

-Curtis Martin-Rushing leader...But his strength will be his TDs. New OC is a pass happy fool. That does not bode well for his yardage.

-Tiki barber-Eli is gonna make or break him. And again he is gonna fall in drafts for no reason like last season.

-Deuce MC- this is wishful thinking that he and that offense are gonna get it together. Another offseason another mistake.

-Kevin Jones-The real offense in Detroit

-Julius Jones-The only offense in Dallas

-Chris Brown-HE WILL BE HEALTHLY=MONSTER STUD

-Ahman Green-Personally do not have faith in this guy. And with GB GREAT WRs i think Ahman will be used less.

-Stephan Jackson- Faulk is still playing

-Brian Westbrook- Catching yardage is the only thing saving this guy. RBBC on its way in.

THis is my extremely tentative list. But even if some of these guys are there for me to pick. I would still avoid them. For example if Martin was next on my list to pick. I would probably step over him to pick Barber or Brown. I am weird like that. And no that doesn't mean i should move martin down my list. I told you i am weird like that.
Last edited by UNDEFEATED on Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby CC » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:08 pm

1. Ahman Green
2. Deuce McAllister
3. Corey Dillon
4. Jamal Lewis
5. Clinton Portis
6. Domanick Davis
7. Chris Brown
8. Rudi Johnson
9. Kevin Jones
10. Stephen Jackson
11. Curtis Martin
12. Brian Westbrook
13. Tiki Barber
14. Julius Jones
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J2thez929 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:00 pm

1. Ahman Green(should return back to form)
2. Clinton Portis(stable QB and better o-line will help)
3. Duece McAllister(keep that ankle healthy - Big season)
4. Jamal Lewis(Jail time could make him very angry to run people over)
5. Dominick Davis(Primed for a breakout year)
6. Corey Dillon(solid as they come)
7. Chris Brown(only if he stays healthy - Very risky)
8. Steven Jackson(should come along nicely since being named the starter)
9. Rudi Johnson(better passing will help him again)
10. Kevin Jones(great second half; needs a better passing game to level out defenses)
11. Brian Westbrook(RBBC again ?)
12. Tiki Barber(Eli will hurt his value receiving value)
13. Julius Jones(stacked lines could hurt his yardage)
14. Curtis Martin(i fear an injury or another 1000 yard 2 TD season)
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MeShawn » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:04 pm

Here's how I see them:

1. Ahman Green
2. Corey Dillon
3. Jamal Lewis
4. Deuce McAllister
5. Clinton Portis
6. Dominick Davis
7. Chris Brown
8. Kevin Jones
9. Tiki Barber
10. Stephen Jackson
11. Brian Westbrook
12. Julius Jones
13. Curtis Martin
14. Rudi Johnson
Sig courtesy of madaslives911.
MeShawn
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby skibrett15 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:06 pm

Ahman Green
Deuce McAllister
Clinton Portis
Jamal Lewis
Dominick Davis
Corey Dillon
Kevin Jones
Chris Brown
Rudi Johnson
Curtis Martin
Brian Westbrook
Tiki Barber
Julius Jones
Stephen Jackson
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby garry2211 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:20 pm

[quote="skibrett15"]Ahman Green
Deuce McAllister
Clinton Portis
Jamal Lewis
Dominick Davis
Corey Dillon
Kevin Jones
Chris Brown
Rudi Johnson
Curtis Martin
Brian Westbrook
Tiki Barber
Julius Jones
Stephen Jackson[/quote]
for a redraaft preist wasnt mentioned and I say preist green then close to this this list
garry2211
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk