New Offence Should Help Deuce. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

New Offence Should Help Deuce.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: New Offence Should Help Deuce.

Postby joshyboy72 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:13 pm

Rotowire.com wrote:Update: New offensive coordinator Mike Sheppard's biggest priority this offseason is to simplify the offense, which will feature more running and ball-control passing

Those are two words which Aaron Brooks, no matter who our OC is, will never understand. I'm starting to feel a little safer with Haslett for next year...I think he will do just fine. We should cut Brooks though...go after a FA which we can get cheap. I truly believe Deuce will now have the opportunity, plus the potential he's always had, to be a top-6 fantasy back next year, behind LT, Alexander, Priest, McGahee, and Edge. And for all of the haters against our defense, two words baby: Channing Crowder. If Thomas Davis doesn't make it to 16, Crowder is the guy we will take, he has almost as much talent as Derrick Johnson but does not get any recognition at all.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby awwchrist » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:02 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
awwchrist wrote:Aaron Brooks is still Aaron Brooks.

This might get Mac considered 2 picks earlier. Might.

Brooks might get cut.

I know. But until he does, and until the replacement is known, I'll keep things as is.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby IRON CHEF » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:08 am

I've always been one of Deuce's big supporters, I don't think he has yet reached the stud status he is capable of. Before last year when of biggest fears with Deuce was Haslett, and if this offensive change really does help he'll be a steal in the 2nd.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sixxgunn » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:33 am

I believe a big part of his decline had to do with crappy decision making by the OC.In prior years,Duece had a pretty good fullback blocking for him(I forget his name at the moment,but I'm sure most of you will be quick to remind me)and last year they let him go and went with blocking TE's.If they don't change that around,he may not get much better,because I can recall him actually complaining about that very thing.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:17 pm

I guess an injury filled season makes many people overlook stud potential. Corey Dillon was drafted in the early 2nd round last year after he got an injry filled 2003 season. When did Dillon ever put up 15+ TDs or 2100 all purpose yards in a season? I wouldn't hesitate to draft Deuce as my #1 RB at the end of the first round no matter what the circumstances.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Azrael » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:15 pm

McAllister is probably top 5 in talent for NFL backs. He could be a great 2nd round pick, which is where he seems to be going. Just wish the Saints were a little bit better all around.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby TheOneManShow 26 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:01 pm

I don't understand all this hating on the Saints D. They were put in very bad situations early, and often in games. I believe the Saints had so many 3 and outs in the 1st quarter of games.

Look at their last 4 games:
Week 14 .vs. Dallas 13 pts allowed outcome: Let me note that Dallas had been very good on offense coming into the game.
Week 15 .vs. Tampa Bay 17 pts allowed: This was a do-or-die game for both the Buccs and Saints.
Week 16 .vs. Atlanta 13 pts allowed: No Vick.
Week 17 .vs. Carolina 18 pts allowed: Panthers had been on fire and nobody gave the Saints a chance in the game, but out defense controlled the game.

So I am hoping :-o that if their play continues like this, watch out.

Thank You madaslives911
TheOneManShow 26
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby joshyboy72 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:10 pm

TheOneManShow 26 wrote:I don't understand all this hating on the Saints D. They were put in very bad situations early, and often in games. I believe the Saints had so many 3 and outs in the 1st quarter of games.

Look at their last 4 games:
Week 14 .vs. Dallas 13 pts allowed outcome: Let me note that Dallas had been very good on offense coming into the game.
Week 15 .vs. Tampa Bay 17 pts allowed: This was a do-or-die game for both the Buccs and Saints.
Week 16 .vs. Atlanta 13 pts allowed: No Vick.
Week 17 .vs. Carolina 18 pts allowed: Panthers had been on fire and nobody gave the Saints a chance in the game, but out defense controlled the game.

So I am hoping :-o that if their play continues like this, watch out.

That's what I've always been saying. Unfortunately the only two non-deceiving stats our defense had late in the season was our holding Julius Jones to 88 yards and stopping Carolina in week 17. Tampa was done in week 15 (they came in with 9 losses) and well, Matt Schaub wasn't exactly a tough quarterback to face in week 16. But we definitely showed some promise...and maybe with Thomas Davis or Channing Crowder our defense can maybe have some fantasy value in 2005. Who knows, NFC South is looking tough next year.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby MadScott » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:23 pm

Besides the horrid play calling and his injury, you also have to factor in the loss of Terrelle Smith last season and the experimentation with a no FB, double TE set. Talk about a work in progress, there is absolutely no way for them to develop any type of consistency in the running game.

I think with a new scheme, the implementation of a true FB and a healthy season, Deuce could bust through and be the second or third best RB in FF like many predicted for him last season.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:12 pm

Karney is a pretty damn good FB, and in terms of overall talent, I have Deuce #2, neck in neck with Jamal Lewis after LT2.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk