Bubba Frank to be Tagged? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bubba Frank to be Tagged?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bubba Frank to be Tagged?

Postby RayVins » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:18 am

Packers | Could Tag Franks
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 08:45:48 -0800

Pete Dougherty, of PackersNews.com, reports the Green Bay Packers could decide to designate TE Bubba Franks as their transition or franchise player to limit his mobility in the free agent market. Franks, who is set to become an unrestricted free agent in March, would cost the team $2.7 million as their franchise player and $2 million as their transition player. The Packers have until Feb. 22 to tag Franks with either designation.

This comes as a bit of a shock to me considering #1- he is a TE, and #2- he is fairly young.

Tight end contracts usually come pretty cheap, and considering Franks is not a top 5 TE right now he should be affordable. Designating him a franchise player instead of giving him a contract only gives the impression that they do not plan on keeping him long term.

Franks is a 5 year veteran and probably has a solid 4-6 years left of good play. He is a solid blocker and a favorite goal line TE... so why not resign him?

Ether way, the tag is going to cost GB 2-3 million.
"You guys have no clue how crazy hyper and dru nk (filter) I can be AT THE SAME TIME."
-mtryanks12
RayVins
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby no1cowboysfan » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:31 am

Kevin Barry OL RFA Packers
Najeh Davenport RB RFA Packers
Tony Fisher RB RFA Packers
Aaron Kampman DL RFA Packers
Paris Lenon LB RFA Packers
Craig Nall QB RFA Packers
Bryan Barker P UFA Packers
Brad Bedell OL UFA Packers
Shockmain Davis WR UFA Packers
Bubba Franks TE UFA Packers
Atlas Herrion OL UFA Packers
Bhawoh Jue DB UFA Packers
Kelvin Kight WR UFA Packers
Torrance Marshall LB UFA Packers
David Martin TE UFA Packers
J.T. O'Sullivan QB UFA Packers
Doug Pederson QB UFA Packers
Marco Rivera OL UFA Packers
Ben Steele TE UFA Packers
Erwin Swiney DB UFA Packers
Andrae Thurman WR UFA Packers
R-Kal Truluck DL UFA Packers

This should answer your question. The Pack has pretty much no one else that they would benefit tagging. Franks is the logical choice.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bennett4prez » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:51 am

But why pay Bubba the 5th best salary (or whatever franchising does)? I don't think Bubba warrants the money. Why not tag Rivera instead if you WANT to use it?
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:00 am

Bennett4Prez wrote:But why pay Bubba the 5th best salary (or whatever franchising does)? I don't think Bubba warrants the money. Why not tag Rivera instead if you WANT to use it?

I believe franchising gives you the average of the top 5 guys at your position.

The Packers are very comfortable with Bubba. He knows everything they do on offense because he has been around a long time, and TE salaries aren't nearly as crazy as RB (tag Davenport - ha!) or QB (Peterson - hehe) salaries.

You do have a point on Rivera, and I don't know the top OL salaries...but I'll bet they are fairly high as well since they are the main protectors of the QB.

Heck, I heard (maybe it has happened) that the Pats were going to tag Vinatieri...I bet that's a nice low-cost franchise option! ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby MeShawn » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:01 am

Ummm, may I ask why? I'd rather franchise the water boy than Bubba Franks. This doesn't make any sense to me, but I'm not too clear on the whole franchising thing. I understand that they get the average of the top 5 salaries at their position, but what is the purpose of franchising a player. Sorry for sounding stupid, but please elaborate. Thanks
Sig courtesy of madaslives911.
MeShawn
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:19 am

MeShawn wrote:Ummm, may I ask why? I'd rather franchise the water boy than Bubba Franks. This doesn't make any sense to me, but I'm not too clear on the whole franchising thing. I understand that they get the average of the top 5 salaries at their position, but what is the purpose of franchising a player. Sorry for sounding stupid, but please elaborate. Thanks

1) The tag may cost less than re-signing him longer term
2) They many not want him signed long-term
3) By tagging him they don't have to worry about another team offering a crazy big contract (for whatever reason) and then you don't have him.
4) He really is the only tag option (if you have to do it, which I don't know if you do).
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby ravage » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:42 am

MeShawn wrote:Ummm, may I ask why? I'd rather franchise the water boy than Bubba Franks. This doesn't make any sense to me, but I'm not too clear on the whole franchising thing. I understand that they get the average of the top 5 salaries at their position, but what is the purpose of franchising a player. Sorry for sounding stupid, but please elaborate. Thanks
For those who only see Bubba's numbers each week I can understand your confusion. Silently Bubba has developed into one of the better blocking TEs in the NFL. Especially if you add in how well he runs routes and catches. With a talent like Green at RB a blocking TE is a great thing to have.

As far as Rivera goes they may think signing him longterm might be cheaper. But I think Rivera may be gone. Unfortunately.
ravage
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Vick 4 Mayor » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:50 am

are you sure its only 2.7 mil? i thought it would be much more than that with crumplers new contract, winslows huge contract, gonzos contract, shockeys contract, and then someone at like 1.5 mil a year.
Vick 4 Mayor
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Azrael » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:09 pm

Wouldn't they rather keep Rivera or Davenport? Maybe they are considering giving these guys longer term contracts. Other than that, I guess Franks is the logical choice...but then again, do you HAVE to tag someone?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:13 pm

Azrael wrote:Wouldn't they rather keep Rivera or Davenport? Maybe they are considering giving these guys longer term contracts. Other than that, I guess Franks is the logical choice...but then again, do you HAVE to tag someone?

Just checked and it's the team's prerogative if they want to use the tag.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk