Bubba Frank to be Tagged? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bubba Frank to be Tagged?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:36 pm

MeShawn wrote:Ummm, may I ask why? I'd rather franchise the water boy than Bubba Franks. This doesn't make any sense to me, but I'm not too clear on the whole franchising thing. I understand that they get the average of the top 5 salaries at their position, but what is the purpose of franchising a player. Sorry for sounding stupid, but please elaborate. Thanks

Bubba Franks is one of the premier blocking/receiving tight ends in the league. Not too many players can block as well as Bubba and still provide reliable pass catching hands. Granted Bubba will never put up numbers like Tony Gonzalez or Todd Heap, but he can and will catch the ball when you need him to on critical third down plays and redzone opportunities.

Franchising Bubba makes sense because tight ends don't get paid jack in the NFL. why take a risk at losing a valuable player when you have the franchise tag available? There may be another team out there desperate for a tight end like Bubba Franks and it doesn't break your bank to keep him around for another year.
----

You can't just franchise other players at more important positions because they are not worth the money. Franchised prices vary widely based on position. My guesstimates for franchise costs:

QB- 9 million
RB- 7 million
OL- 7-9 million
TE- 2 million
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:39 pm

When you franchise a player isnt it an option to either pay him the average of the top 5 salaries or give him 120 percent of his last years salary? I guess it is worth it to tag Bubba, considering their other free agents.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:07 pm

Davenport would never and should never get the tag over Franks. (so he can come play in Philly :-) ) With Green in GB it wouldnt make sense to franchise tag any backup RB, especially with the price it would cost.

Rivera I coul see having gotten the tag instead. The Packers are losing a few offensive linemen this year, that's going to hurt, and Rivera is one of their best.

However, Franks makes perfect sense. He's a total package TE, and TE's are scarce in this NFL. Not only is he a well above average TE, though no Heap or Gonzo, if he went into free agency, he would be the best TE hands down on the market. Thus teams would be competing very heavily to get his services. Whereas if they can't work out a deal with Rivera in time, there should be plenty of Guards heading into free agency (Andruzzi, DeMulling, Mayberry, etc), so they have leverage in trying to get him to resign to a good deal rather than take his chances with so much talent available this year.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:18 pm

the reason they will tag Bubba is because they want to keep him. They may think he will want to walk and don't really have a problem with paying him the 2-3 mil that franchising him warrants. Plus if they franchise him and he still signs then they get a couple of picks in the draft for this year and next I believe.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Manja » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:08 pm

portisfan24 wrote:When you franchise a player isnt it an option to either pay him the average of the top 5 salaries or give him 120 percent of his last years salary? I guess it is worth it to tag Bubba, considering their other free agents.

It's whatever's greater.
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ravage » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:46 pm

It looks like Bubba was tagged but with the Transition not Franchise. It's like Christmas for Bubba. I have a deal but I can try for more. Great situation for Bubba.
ravage
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby TheOneManShow 26 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:52 am

I really thought they would tag Marco Rivera, their O-line is what makes the team "go".

Thank You madaslives911
TheOneManShow 26
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Evolution » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:53 am

But then, is Rivera really a lineman deserving of a top-5 at his position salary? No. That's why the Bubba transition tag makes sense.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby ravage » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:44 am

TheOneManShow 26 wrote:I really thought they would tag Marco Rivera, their O-line is what makes the team "go".
They can still use the franchise tag. The transition tag is different.
ravage
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby The Lung » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:15 pm

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, reports the Green Bay Packers are more than $6 million over the league's salary-cap limit after tagging TE Bubba Franks with a transition designation, according to NFL Players Association salary data. That number will inflate to at least $11 million once the team makes qualifying offers to some or all of their restricted free agents. The impending release of veteran G Mike Wahle, whose contract calls for $11.3 million cap number next season, would allow the Packers to recoup $11 million in cap space, but leaves the team with little available cap room to be active in free agency. (KFFL)

Which means they can't look for help on defense. Rember how awful the Packers D was last year? Not getting any better.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. With salary cap issues, contract extensions, and trades, the following teams had crappy defenses last year, and will have crappy defenses again next year:

1. Indy
2. Green Bay
3. Tennessee
4. San Francisco
5. Oakland
6. Kansas City (I'm waiting to see what kind of defense they think they can buy. Odds are, it will stink.)

I know what matchups I'll be looking for when choosing bye-week fill-ins next season.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Previous

Return to Football Talk