Franchise tag the kicker? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Franchise tag the kicker?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Franchise tag the kicker?

Postby TTTBone » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:13 pm

THE NEWS

The agent for kicker Adam Vinatieri has been talking extensively with the Patriots regarding a contract extension. If the two sides cannot reach a deal, Vinatieri is likely to receive the club's franchise tag.

OUR VIEW

Yes, you read that correctly: a kicker may be franchised. Obviously, no team in its right mind would give up two first-round picks for a kicker, even one as rock-steady as Vinatieri, so bank on him returning to the Pats next season. And what a luxury for the Patriots to be in such sound salary-cap shape that they have so few other contract worries they can afford to franchise their kicker. That's how a dynasty is constructed.

Why not?
Damn You Patriots! ;-)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:34 pm

:-b

haha this is awesome.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

wow

Postby RayVins » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:37 pm

it is a sad, sad day in football history when a tean feels the need to franchise their kicker...
"You guys have no clue how crazy hyper and dru nk (filter) I can be AT THE SAME TIME."
-mtryanks12
RayVins
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:00 pm

Well, he is definitely worth it for as clutch as he is...

And I called it in the Bubba tag thread. :-)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:13 pm

Who else are the Pats going to franchise? They pretty much have most everyone locked up don't they? What a great position to be in as far as contracts go if you have the ability to franchise your kicker.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:31 pm

Well, this isn't the first time a kicker has been franchised. I believe the Broncos did it a few years back with Elam. Truth be told, Vinatieri makes a strong arguement as the league's most clutch kicker. The move actually does make sense when you consider their current cap status.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:41 pm

Ok, how is it sad that they franchised the Kicker? Ask teams without a great kicker what a royal pain it is not having a sure guy at that spot. Do you think KC or SD thinks about having a clutch guy at those spots? They're rookie kickers were not reliable, and that changes the whole game plan.

Vinatieri deserves the tag, as he is one of the very best (arguably the best kicker currently). I would certainly hope if it came to it, the Eagles would franchise Akers rather than let him walk, barring a decline in his skills.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:28 pm

MAN i hate the patriots, they do EVERYTHING right...........
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby moochman » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:30 pm

DisgruntledJetsFan wrote:MAN i hate the patriots, they do EVERYTHING right...........

I hate the off-season when we're forced to talking about a stupid kicker. And don't worry about the Pats. One of the truths about the NFL is that nobody stays on top for long. They'll become as human as most teams, though probably not as dumb as the Lions :-b

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:58 am

How many games has Vinatieri won for this club?Now consider other players that get tagged and count how many games they have won for their clubs,and you see how smart a move this is.If you don't have a pressing need elsewhere,may as well use it.Next year they will tag the waterboy,as I hear he serves the clearest,coldest H2O around.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Football Talk