Titans make Cuts. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Titans make Cuts.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Titans make Cuts.

Postby Guttpuppy » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:38 pm

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- The Tennessee Titans released six players, including four starters led by receiver Derrick Mason, on Monday in an attempt to cut up to $27 million as the team tries to get under the NFL's salary cap.

General manager Floyd Reese said they released cornerback Samari Rolle, defensive lineman Kevin Carter, right tackle Fred Miller -- all starters with Mason. They also cut fullback Robert Holcombe and kicker Joe Nedney.

The Titans are the NFL's third winningest team since 1997, and Reese said they are paying the price now for trying to maintain that success. These cuts will allow the Titans to tender offers to their 10 restricted free agents and all their exclusive rights free agents.

Tennessee has the No. 6 pick overall in the draft, their highest since picking Steve McNair third overall in 1995. Reese said they will attempt to model Baltimore's cap-cutting moves by cutting as deep as possible in one year and build for the future through the draft.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/nfl/02/21/bc.fbn.titans.cuts.monday.ap/
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby UNDEFEATED » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:40 pm

wow.

mason sweepstakes begin.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby joshyboy72 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:42 pm

Haha, that's a funny picture of Mason in the article. But yes...the Titans had to free up cap space and had no other choice. This obviously chalks up the value of Bennett...but also makes Calico and Troupe nice sleepers. Their defense isn't looking so hot now though.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby cooleyhigh » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:47 pm

C'mon Jerry Jones, buy us some talent!!! Rolle and Carter would be welcome additions.

I would also like to see Holcombe in NO, giving Duece the lead blocker he needs ;-D
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Lung » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:01 pm

It's official!

This is huge for both NFL and fantasy purposes. With regards to the former, I'd like to see the Steelers pick up cornerback Samari Rolle and WR Derrick Mason. With regards to the latter, I'll be following closely to see where Mason ends up. (although if in Pittsburgh, his value will decrease greatly because of their style of offense) Also, when healthy, Nedney was a great kicker and makes a good sleeper pick. Depending on where he ends up, I'd give consideration to not drafting a kicker and picking Nedney up as a free agent.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Azrael » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:43 pm

I'd love to see them pick up Rolle but I don't know about Mason. I'd like to see us go bigger. Mason is a pretty small wideout and he's on the downside of his career. He's got maybe 2 decent years left I think.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby maddog60 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:07 pm

Wow, so who thinks Titans might get the first draft pick next year?

This pretty much cuts about half of the top people on their team. Talk about slash and burn. They're going to start competing with SF for worst team in the NFL, and that's scary.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby chaindog35 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:16 pm

i don't think they'll get the first pick. they won't be the worst team in the nfl, they still have a few guys that can play.
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Slingblade » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:21 pm

Well all good things must come to an end. Mason will have HUGE impact where ever he goes. He has always been the biggest under-rated reciever for years. I'd really like to see him shine big with his new team, whoever that may be.
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:25 pm

maddog60 wrote:Wow, so who thinks Titans might get the first draft pick next year?

This pretty much cuts about half of the top people on their team. Talk about slash and burn. They're going to start competing with SF for worst team in the NFL, and that's scary.

Lets not over-react, the Titans have a little better front office, coaching staff and core group of players that the team they've been dismantling in SF.

Should be fun to see all of the player movement to come. Only in the NFL.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Next

Return to Football Talk