What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby louisianacajunsam » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:47 pm

saw hustle and flow....

reminded me of eight mile sort of but dirtier and realer...if you can handle a movie about pimps, prostitutes, dirty language, and you like rap music, then you will probably enjoy this movie..it was well done and the music was great (i'm still wondering if the actor actually sang/rapped the songs himself b/c if he did he should make rap cd's)...plus anthony anderson, ludacris, and the skinny/nerdy dude from road trip all had big parts and were all enjoyable...

8/10
louisianacajunsam
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby josebach » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:00 pm

knapplc wrote:I almost forgot (because it was forgettable) but the wife and I started watching Alexander Saturday night and had to stop. It was just awful. They totally skipped over the best parts of his life and focused on his "relationship" with Hyphaestion.

What a waste of a movie. And Colin Farrell is an arse.

Alexander was a bad movie because it was a bad movie... not because of his relationship with Jared Leto's character. IMHO

I am actually pretty excited about Colin Farrell in "Miami Vice" coming up. Check out the trailer if you get a chance, it looks really good. I'll watch anything Michael Mann does.

This weekend, I'm going to see "Brokeback Mountain" with my wife. It's supposed to be awesome, but I don't know if that's just because people are afraid to criticize it. A couple of my best friends are gay, so I'll be sure to come back here and give it an honest review after I've finished watching it.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Nilmerf » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:24 pm

Brokeback Mountain is officially the worst movie that I'll never see. I'm not offended by it as a straight man, I'm offended by it as a straight cowboy. Not only do they have the audacity to portray cowboys as gay, but even worse.. decided to use one of the greatest songs of all time, "Melissa" by the Allman Brothers Band in the soundtrack.

The worst movie I've ever seen is Troy, but that's a whole other story.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:55 pm

Not sure where you stopped watching, but the last hour or so of Alexander was at least semi-bearable.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Canacuna » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:01 pm

During the preview, I was like... "Woah" when I saw him fighting on top of the elephant. I tried renting it, but the girl at Blockbuster told me I should take it back and find something else.

...I rented Slap Shot instead.

For some reason, I still want to watch it. It's on HBO these days... I might give it a shot... just to see Alexander fight on top of that elephant. That could be cool.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby josebach » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:38 pm

Just got finished watching "Brokeback Mountain" with the wife. We both liked it, but neither one of us really understood what the big deal was. The message of the movie was blatantly clear. Be yourself, no matter what anyone else thinks about you. If you're not, you'll regret it later in life. Needless to say, it's a good message no matter what the situation, but neither one of us thought the movie was best picture material. For those that have reservations about watching it because of the gay sex scenes, don't. There were four sex scenes in the entire movie but only one was gay and the one gay scene wasn't graphic at all. It was over in about 15 seconds and there was no nudity during it. My point in mentioning this is because I think a lot of people might not see the movie because of this and it's really not an issue. Other than that, the acting was good, but once again neither my wife or I thought it was oscar caliber. They also did a very poor job of aging the actors. The movie was supposed to have taken place over a 20 year period, and the make-up made it seem like 10 years at the most had passed. Normally, I wouldn't even mention it, but when a movie is being talked about for best picture, you kind of have to hold it to a higher standard. Overall, if you have a desire to see it, it's worth the trip. If not, you're really not missing much. I'd give it an 8/10.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby CC » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:52 pm

I watched Romper Stomper recently. It was pretty violent and was supposed to show the crappy life that skinheads in Australia live. It showed the effects of their racism and such but most of the movie was violence. Russell Crowe was crazy as hell as per the usual.

It was pretty decent, I wouldn't recommend against it, but you aren't missing anything if you don't watch it.

7/10
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The_Dude » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:31 pm

josebach wrote:Just got finished watching "Brokeback Mountain" with the wife. We both liked it, but neither one of us really understood what the big deal was. The message of the movie was blatantly clear. Be yourself, no matter what anyone else thinks about you. If you're not, you'll regret it later in life. Needless to say, it's a good message no matter what the situation, but neither one of us thought the movie was best picture material. For those that have reservations about watching it because of the gay sex scenes, don't. There were four sex scenes in the entire movie but only one was gay and the one gay scene wasn't graphic at all. It was over in about 15 seconds and there was no nudity during it. My point in mentioning this is because I think a lot of people might not see the movie because of this and it's really not an issue. Other than that, the acting was good, but once again neither my wife or I thought it was oscar caliber. They also did a very poor job of aging the actors. The movie was supposed to have taken place over a 20 year period, and the make-up made it seem like 10 years at the most had passed. Normally, I wouldn't even mention it, but when a movie is being talked about for best picture, you kind of have to hold it to a higher standard. Overall, if you have a desire to see it, it's worth the trip. If not, you're really not missing much. I'd give it an 8/10.

No offense josebach, but I completely disagree with your characterization of the film. I don't want to give away any of the events that happen, but the movie portrays a far more complicated picture than "be yourself no matter what or you'll regret it," mostly because of social complexities involved in the film. That's the message of the film for 3/4 of it, but events add quite a bit of irony to this take. I'll say no more for those actually still interested in seeing it.

I also disagree on the aging of the actors point. I think that its hard to make Jake Gyllenhal look old, but his character has a youthful spirit about him, and I thought they did an exceptional job with Heath Ledger. And Heath Ledger's performance was pretty incredible. I never knew he had that range as an actor.

For me, Brokeback Mountain was a 9/10 and the clear front-runner for the Oscar.

I also saw Good Night and Good Luck yesterday. A wonderful rehash of one of the most important journalistic moments in the history of this country - when Edward Murrow took on Joe McCarthy and won. Plenty of historically accurate statements that are still relevant today. Its filmed all in black and white, with a bit of a whisp in the background, meant to replicate the 50's feel. That style, while important to the integrity of the film, can get old, and they did a nice job of keeping this film at about 90 minutes (not dragging it otu too long). Oscar-nomination worthy performance by David Strathairn for his spot-on portrayal of Murrow. 9/10

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby The_Captain » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:40 pm

Watched Wedding Crashers last night with the wife. Laughed my rear end off through the whole movie. Rachel McAdams is a hottie but Vince Vaughn really stole the spotlight with this one.

8.5/10

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby skibrett15 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:19 pm

I watched Dazed and Confused last week for the first time. I really liked it-the perfect college movie. Plus it has a sweet sound track.
8/10
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk