What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The_Dude » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:56 pm

I agree on all positive comments re: Sideways and JFK.

I saw Munich over the weekend which completes The_Dude's Oscar-Nominated-for-Best-Picture viewing for the year. Lacking originality, I read some reviews to find the quote that I liked the best... I came up with, "even when Speilberg misfires, he still makes a good film," or something like that.

Munich lacked an identity, and perhaps that's what it needed to survive given the content surrounding the events in Munich that Speilberg decided to make a film about. But I don't really understand why he decided to make this movie, a film about the characters involved in a covert government action to hunt down those involved in the Munich kidnaps/murders.

I never got the sense that the film was overtly one-sided, or preachy. But, I left the theatre feeling somewhat unfulfilled.

An interesting film, but at the bottom of my Oscar list.

So, without further ado, here is The_Dude's rank ordering of the Oscar nominated films:

1. Crash
2. Brokeback Mountian
3. Capote
4. Good Night and Good Luck
5. Munich

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:05 pm

footballchick23 wrote:I can watch JFK over and over, easily! Not a huge fan of Kevin Costner, but he pulls Garrison's caharacter off and the theories aren't too far fetched either. The cameos make it even better to watch.

Aren't the records due to be unsealed soon?

The end of the film stated that the records would be released in 2029, if I recall correctly. Still, I have a question about that. Couldn't the government just as well decide what they wanted us to see when the time comes to release those documents?

And yes, the cameo appearances were a lot of fun to watch. Everyone from John Candy to Donald Sutherland makes an appearance.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Alkaholik » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:18 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
footballchick23 wrote:I can watch JFK over and over, easily! Not a huge fan of Kevin Costner, but he pulls Garrison's caharacter off and the theories aren't too far fetched either. The cameos make it even better to watch.

Aren't the records due to be unsealed soon?

The end of the film stated that the records would be released in 2029, if I recall correctly. Still, I have a question about that. Couldn't the government just as well decide what they wanted us to see when the time comes to release those documents?

And yes, the cameo appearances were a lot of fun to watch. Everyone from John Candy to Donald Sutherland makes an appearance.

It is in the 2020's in the movie, but when you look it up online it has it in the 2030's......looks like another government conspiracy...adding another 10 years to it without anyone noticing
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby The_Dude » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:25 pm

(I know, I've been on a movie rampage lately)

The Dudette and I just saw two documentaries (sort-of-ish)...

1) The Aristocrats... a documentary about a dirty dirty joke that's been around hollywood and standup comic for years and years. Too many big names to list in the film, all doing their own version of the joke: George Carlin, Robin Williams, John Stewart, Sarah Silverman, Whoopi, Jason Alexander, Gilbert Godfried.... I could go on and on. The joke is foul, but the foulness depends on who's telling it. Anyhow, worth seeing if you'd like an inside look into the back room of comedy. I'd give it a 6.5/10.

2) My Date with Drew... a documentary that I wasn't really interested in seeing about an average Joe, no-name, wannabe, unemployed Hollywood writer/director who makes a film about making a movie in 30 days for less than $1100, the whole point of which is to try and get a date with Drew Barrymore. It actually ends up being quite fun to watch, funny, heartwarming, a little hokey, but you're really rooting for the guy to succeed. I liked it more than I thought I would... 7/10.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:17 pm

Okay, I gave Sideways another go, I still hated it. I guess it's just not for everyone as we all know tastes vary. So I'll probably like Doom better.
I also saw Crash. and all I can really say is wow. it's an excellent movie with great acting and crossing/entertwined story lines. It's not as much a socially awakening movie but more of an eye opening. 9/10 ;-D ;-D
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:35 pm

Redskins Win wrote:Okay, I gave Sideways another go, I still hated it. I guess it's just not for everyone as we all know tastes vary. So I'll probably like Doom better.

Bro, don't bother wasting your time. You'd enjoy just about anything more than the waste of space Doom ended up being. I'll put it to you this way, if you've never played the game, you might like it. If you ever played the game as a kid, you'll wonder why you wasted two hours of your life watching it. Very few nuances of the game itself were in the movie and those that were had very little to offer.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

da

Postby sPoRtZsTuD2318 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:37 pm

When a Stranger Calls wasn't that bad, I liked the end, pretty scary 8-o

"I got this [b]killa[/b] up inside of me
I can't talk to my mother so I talk to my diary"
sPoRtZsTuD2318
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Re: da

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:40 pm

sPoRtZsTuD2318 wrote:When a Stranger Calls wasn't that bad, I liked the end, pretty scary 8-o

Ever seen the original? I'm just wondering if there's any comparison.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby sPoRtZsTuD2318 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:42 pm

Well, My mom said it was ALOT different, but I don't know if I trust her..

I have to see the original one, I'm sure it's better..

"I got this [b]killa[/b] up inside of me
I can't talk to my mother so I talk to my diary"
sPoRtZsTuD2318
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Re: da

Postby UTLonghorns » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:42 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
sPoRtZsTuD2318 wrote:When a Stranger Calls wasn't that bad, I liked the end, pretty scary 8-o

Ever seen the original? I'm just wondering if there's any comparison.

I didn't know there was an original. 8-o
UTLonghorns
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk