What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Nilmerf » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:13 pm

moonhead wrote:A Fistful of Dollars The first in the Man with no name series...While not as good as GB&U, this is a great western. Still campy, as it was being shot in Italy/Spain somewhere over there. Only Clint Eastwood was speaking English as the cameras were rolling so the audio/video track looks goofy. Apparently this is a blatant ripoff of a Japanese movie called Yojimbo which is supposed to spectacular in its own right. Fistful of Dollars is well done, Eastwood is a badass, and the music is great. Since i rated GB&U at a 9.4/10...this movie receives a 8.9/10.

I've seen Yojimbo. It is definitely a complete ripoff, but so was The Magnificent Seven. The difference is that The Magnificent Seven wasn't as good as The Seven Samurai, but A Fistful of Dollars is better than Yojimbo. Yojimbo is a really good movie, if you can sit through a black and white film with subtext. But the Clint with knight armor scene alone makes Dollars better. Plus it has the fabled Leone/Morricone combination.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Payne Dailey » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:15 pm

Nilmerf wrote:Once Upon a Time in America
I don't think the average person would like this movie as much as I do. For one, it is pushing into the 4 hour territory of length. For two, there are some disturbing scenes. But Sergio Leone and Ennio Morricone are the best director/composer combination in my mind. They trade the spaghetti western genre for a gangster film, and I love the results. Leone crafts a great story that is extremely deep, and Morricone's version of Yesterday by the Beatles really stood out. This is all about Robert De Niro and James Woods's characters. The casting directors did a great job finding young kids that look very much like their eventual characters, including a 14 year old Jennifer Connelly.
9/10

10/10

I think this film would have rivaled the Godfather if they didn't release the short verison. That killed the box office and reputation of the film.

Nilmerf wrote:A Bridge Too Far
I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said this was the biggest all-star cast ever assembled. Sean Connery, Anthony Hopkins, Laurence Olivier, Gene Hackman, Michael Caine, Robert Redford, James Caan, and many more are a part of this post D-Day WWII movie. I particularly liked Caine as the Irish Lt. Colonel, and Redford as the American Major. For some reason it doesn't really feel like a movie, moreso a documentary. It isn't over-dramatized, it just tells you what happened and has some spectacular visuals.
8/10

I agree with you again great film, 8/10. Another great D-Day film is The Longest Day its cast was the best ever, a must see imo.
Last edited by Payne Dailey on Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Payne Dailey
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:57 pm

The Godfather 8/10

Pretty good movie, that's all I care to say about it for now.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Nilmerf » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:26 pm

bagobonez wrote:The Godfather 8/10

And I thought I was a critic! This movie is one of only three that I would give a perfect 10/10 score. The other two would be The Good The Bad and The Ugly, and Casablanca.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Goatwhacker » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:27 pm

Walk The Line - Actually saw it on an airplane last week so it might have been chopped up a bit. Good movie, good music. I always thought Reese Witherspoon was kind of a lightweight but she did a nice job in this one.

I'm not a huge Johnny Cash fan but they wove the music into the movie very well. I didn't realize JC was as messed-up as he was, the guy had some problems. Overall I'd give it 8/10.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tiki » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:34 pm

Nilmerf wrote:I saw Wedding Crashers on the weekend with pals, so I had to rent some real movies to make me forget about it.

A Bridge Too Far
I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said this was the biggest all-star cast ever assembled. Sean Connery, Anthony Hopkins, Laurence Olivier, Gene Hackman, Michael Caine, Robert Redford, James Caan, and many more are a part of this post D-Day WWII movie. I particularly liked Caine as the Irish Lt. Colonel, and Redford as the American Major. For some reason it doesn't really feel like a movie, moreso a documentary. It isn't over-dramatized, it just tells you what happened and has some spectacular visuals.
8/10.
Saw this movie for the first time 3-5 years ago, can't remember, but the movie was sweet. I saw it again two years ago, it's long but sweet. ;-D
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:26 am

Nilmerf wrote:
bagobonez wrote:The Godfather 8/10

And I thought I was a critic! This movie is one of only three that I would give a perfect 10/10 score. The other two would be The Good The Bad and The Ugly, and Casablanca.

no doubt. one of a maximum of 3 movies i can give a 10.0 to as well. the godfather II gets the 10.0 (i think it's a better movie, just a little slower than I). and then 2001: a space odyssey. visually the most awe inspiring piece of film. and a very peculiar story.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Redskins Win » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:58 am

moonhead wrote: 2001: a space odyssey. visually the most awe inspiring piece of film. and a very peculiar story.

Holy cripes, that movie is the biggest yawn fest ever. sure the premise is cool, but the execution . . . boring. I know they're in space but sheesh watching a guy walk around in slow motion for 15 minutes is not exactly awe inspiring in my book. I do like the begining.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:37 am

Domino

Not very good. The camera work is extremely jerky and designed to instill a frantic pace. It's really just annoying.

I'm a big Keira fan and she looked good, but this movie wasn't.

5/10
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Alkaholik » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:59 am

Watched The Ringer last night.

It started off just classic and looked to be a good film, also since it had Knoxville in it i thought it would be worth watching.

It had it's funny parts here an there but soon after the start there wasnt much more too it, i found myself getting up and doing other things while the movie continued....I also thought they stole the story from South Park, but maybe it was the other way.

Anyways it wasnt that funny at all and didnt meet my expectations, commercials led on more than what was there.

Alka-Meter:
1 2 3 4 5 out of 10
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk