What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Wizzle » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:07 pm

I just watched "The Whole Ten Yards" last night. Pretty funny movie. I'm not sure why it took me so long to watch since I've seen "The Whole Nine Yards" a few times and thought it was good. I would recommend both of these movies. ;-D
The League of Extraordinary QBs
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Payne Dailey » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:08 am

Requiem for a Dream

Brutal, harsh, stylized and surreal. 8/10
Payne Dailey
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The_Dude » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:22 am

Payne Dailey wrote:Requiem for a Dream

Just an amazing whirlwind of a moviegoing experience. Making this film required viewing for junior high school kids would probably be more effective at curbing drug use among kids than DARE.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby moonhead » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:42 am

The_Dude wrote:

Just an amazing whirlwind of a moviegoing experience. Making this film required viewing for junior high school kids would probably be more effective at curbing drug use among kids than DARE.

could also be considered a form of cruel and unusual punishment.

it would be an incredible deterrent for children. i thought that the first time i saw it. excruciating. i didn't do another drug for like 6 seconds.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby josebach » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:55 am

This is in my top 5 of all time. This movie reaches an emotional plane seldom captured in film. The score by Clint Mansell was the key to making it such a cut above. I've heard the music from Requiem in trailers for Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and The Davinci Code. It was also used in promos for the Olympics.

Awesome movie!
10/10
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby josebach » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:58 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:Domino

Not very good. The camera work is extremely jerky and designed to instill a frantic pace. It's really just annoying.

I'm a big Keira fan and she looked good, but this movie wasn't.

5/10

I agree, although the camera work didn't bother me. I REALLY like Tony Scott and this movie didn't live up to his standards at all. Not only that, but the whole Beverly Hills 90210 thing got old fast.
6/10
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:08 am

josebach wrote:

This is in my top 5 of all time. This movie reaches an emotional plane seldom captured in film. The score by Clint Mansell was the key to making it such a cut above. I've heard the music from Requiem in trailers for Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and The Davinci Code. It was also used in promos for the Olympics.

Awesome movie!
10/10

I agree about this movie. My jaw was dropped by the end. Amazing imagery.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:12 am

This week I saw "Waiting" and "The Weather Man".

"Waiting" certainly wasn't high art, but it was worth watching. I got a few chuckles out of it and I liked most of the characters. Ryan Reynolds plays the same character in everything he does, but he's good at it and fun to watch.
7/10

I really liked "The Weather Man". This was a pretty deep movie and really handled the complexities of Nicholas Cage's character extremely well. I'm really suprised this movie didn't get any notice from the academy. It's not the type of movie I'd want to watch over and over, but if you like surreal, sad, character-piece movies, give it a try.
8.5/10
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:09 pm

josebach wrote:I really liked "The Weather Man". This was a pretty deep movie and really handled the complexities of Nicholas Cage's character extremely well. I'm really suprised this movie didn't get any notice from the academy. It's not the type of movie I'd want to watch over and over, but if you like surreal, sad, character-piece movies, give it a try.
8.5/10

I saw this one in the theaters. I can't remember if I put it in this thread or not(it'd be a few pages back), but it was actually one of the few Nicholas Cage movies that I thought were good. He's had a bad string of movies, that's for sure but this one breaks the mold. I would agree with the 8.5. Wouldn't buy it to watch it over and over(usually reserved for a 9 and up), but it's worth the rental in my eyes ;-D
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby bklik » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:25 pm

moonhead wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

could also be considered a form of cruel and unusual punishment.

it would be an incredible deterrent for children. i thought that the first time i saw it. excruciating. i didn't do another drug for like 6 seconds.

Great, then we would have a generation wondering what Jennifer Connolly(sp) was doing on the table with the other chick. JK, love the movie, 10/10.

By the by, if anybody owns Requim, check out the special features. Theres one where Damon Waynes does a ridiculous JarJar impression. Doesnt go with the atmosphere of the film at all, but still really entertaining.
bklik
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk