What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:08 pm

Alkaholik wrote:Jarhead isn't your classic War Film like Apocalypse Now, Blackhawk Down or Platoon....

It is more about the War of the Soldiers within themselves, about how they deal with being away from their loved ones...finding out while in IRAQ their GF and wives are cheating on them, the endless nights and how much they absolutely hate being there.

Not much true War action in this movie, it's more about the soldiers mental state and how they are still human being just like any of this, even though they may have higher strengths and training...at heart they are no differnt.

This movie is basically covering them waiting for War rather then going through a war....this is all that i got out of it.

Alka-Meter:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7.5 out of 10

thanks Alk. I have the day off today and will probably go and rent it.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby footballchick23 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:09 pm

Watched Corpse Bride and absolutely loved it! I was afraid it couldn't compare to Nightmare Before Christmas, but it didn't disappoint. 9/10

We just got Netflix and the first DVD we got was Rear Window...I didn't know what to expect, but it was surprisingly good. You never know what direction the story line is going to take in some of those older movies. I guess you can't have a bad movie with Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly in it!
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:16 pm

footballchick23 wrote:Watched Corpse Bride and absolutely loved it! I was afraid it couldn't compare to Nightmare Before Christmas, but it didn't disappoint. 9/10

We just got Netflix and the first DVD we got was Rear Window...I didn't know what to expect, but it was surprisingly good. You never know what direction the story line is going to take in some of those older movies. I guess you can't have a bad movie with Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly in it!

oh god! please dont compare Corpse Bride to Nightmare...luckilly i slept through half of it, but it was one of the worst movies i've ever seen and doesnt belong in the same sentance as Nightmare...and i say this as a big Tim Burton fan. the only way that movie should get a 9 is on a scale of 1-100
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Goatwhacker » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:22 pm

josebach wrote:
Goatwhacker wrote:The Jerk - very funny movie, it reminded me how good Steve Martin used to be. Bernadette Peters was cute, too. 8/10

Madman Dead centre - say you're prayers, half breed!
(cans begin to pop on the display Navin is standing next to)
Navin Hey Harry, look at this! What's the matter with these cans?
Madman Die milk face!
(more cans pop)
Navin These cans are defective - they're springing leaks! Come over here and look at this!
Harry Listen, you better run for cover or you're going to spring a leak!
Navin Huh?
Harry We don't have defective cans, we have a defective person out there!
Navin He hates these cans! Stay away from the cans!
Madman Die gas pumper!
(the glass on a pump breaks)
Navin Get away from those cans!
(Navin runs inside the station)
Navin There's cans in there too!

At this point Martin was referring to the Coke machine "there's cans in there, too!

josebach wrote:

(the gas station window breaks)
navin More cans!
Madman Die you bastard!
Harry He doesn't want to put holes in the cans, he want to put holes in you!
Navin What?
Madman Milk faced bastard!
Navin Oh my God, I'm endangering your life! Cover me!
Harry You're covered.

:-b

Tons of great lines in that movie.

I agree - "we've only been together for a month and three days but it seems like nine months and five days", "she says she's going to give me a blow job so there should be more money coming in" - great stuff.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Payne Dailey » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:03 pm

Pretty in Pink, standard 80's fare 6/10

Pretty good Agatha Christie who done it from the 70's 8.5/10
Payne Dailey
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:57 pm

A classic that never stops entertaining me. Harrison Ford can't shine Alec Baldwin's shoes. He owns Jack Ryan, and Sean Connery is a first rate Russian sub captain. Most of you in here have already seen this, so I won't ramble on. But for those of you that haven't seen this thriller, it's a must rent. Easily my favorite Tom Clancy movie. 9/10
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:59 pm

Firewall 7/10

Pretty good movie, although somewhat cliche.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moonhead » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:39 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Image
A classic that never stops entertaining me. Harrison Ford can't shine Alec Baldwin's shoes. He owns Jack Ryan, and Sean Connery is a first rate Russian sub captain. Most of you in here have already seen this, so I won't ramble on. But for those of you that haven't seen this thriller, it's a must rent. Easily my favorite Tom Clancy movie. 9/10

easily. ;-D
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby jayday » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:53 pm

louisianacajunsam wrote:saw walk the line..good performances by phoenix and witherspoon...although, the real june carter looked not nearly as good as witherspoon but hey, thats hollywood...for what the movie was, it was good, but i dont necessarily buy that movies like this should be basically the only ones these days that are up for movie of the year..mildly entertaining... 7.75/10

saw braveheart for about the tenth time last night..always a great movie and one of my favorites of all time... 10/10

Seen both of these the other day...

Walk The Line - Great performances as both Joaquin and Reese do their own vocals....I'm a Johnny Cash fan, so I'm probably more biased...I'd give it an 8/10

Braveheart - Does it get any better than this one? I've seen it at least 50 times, easily in my top 3 favorite movies of all time...I give it a 9.9/10 (Never seen the perfect movie yet ;-) )

edit- left out a quote tag
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby aussieboy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:08 pm

I saw History of Violence last night.

I'm curious to see what other people thought of it. I wasn't really sure what to make of it. I was a bit disappointed at the ending and wasn't that impressed with the plot. Despite this, it has kind of stuck in my mind since i saw it. Might be worth seeing again to get a better opinion on it.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk