What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby bengalsfan614 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:11 pm

aussieboy wrote:I saw History of Violence last night.

I'm curious to see what other people thought of it. I wasn't really sure what to make of it. I was a bit disappointed at the ending and wasn't that impressed with the plot. Despite this, it has kind of stuck in my mind since i saw it. Might be worth seeing again to get a better opinion on it.

A movie along those same lines is also one of my favorites. Although it is a relatively unknown movie, Donnie Darko. Its kind of like a psychological thriller, so rent it if you are in the mood to think.

9.7/10 ;-D ;-D
bengalsfan614
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dirt Bag » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:12 pm

I'm curious to see what other people thought of it. I wasn't really sure what to make of it. I was a bit disappointed at the ending and wasn't that impressed with the plot. Despite this, it has kind of stuck in my mind since i saw it. Might be worth seeing again to get a better opinion on it.

woooooah....long time no see aussie...Welcome Back ;-D
Dirt Bag
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:56 pm

bengalsfan614 wrote:

A movie along those same lines is also one of my favorites. Although it is a relatively unknown movie, Donnie Darko. Its kind of like a psychological thriller, so rent it if you are in the mood to think.

9.7/10 ;-D ;-D

those two movies don't need to be mentioned in the same breath. history of violence was a piece of garbage. just movie theater trash, looked like it could be fun, but in the end was typical and bland. don't watch history of violence if you can avoid it.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby aussieboy » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:45 am

Dirt Bag wrote:

woooooah....long time no see aussie...Welcome Back ;-D

Thanks bro. Been busy finishing up Med School, it's almost Dr Aussieboy :-o

I've seen Donnie Darko, had to watch it a couple of times to kind of get it. The directors edition cleared up a lot of questions that I previously had.

Here's something that got me thinking. For those of you that have already seen History of Violence check out this review: DONT READ IT IF YOU HAVENT SEEN IT YET.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... S/50919002

My impressions of the film changed quite dramatically after I read that review. The review added some meaning to parts of the film that didnt seem important to me.

What I don't understand is, why do movies contain so many hidden and profound meanings that only advanced movie critics and film experts are able to decipher? My brother, who is a film director (i'll go into this a bit more at a later date), highly recommended History of Violence to me, it was a candidate for best film at the last Cannes Film Festival and I think it was nominated for Academy Awards this year, yet to me it seem quite bland when I first saw it? After reading that, and some other reviews I realised how good the movie actually was. I guess i'm just disappointed that I wasn't able to understand the move for its intended meaning when I initially saw it.

Does anyone else find this is the case when they watch certain movies? I don't mean like "Date Movie" or like "Spiderman" etc, i'm talking about the more deeper, usually character based films.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby josebach » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:30 am

moonhead wrote:
bengalsfan614 wrote:

9.7/10 ;-D ;-D

those two movies don't need to be mentioned in the same breath. history of violence was a piece of garbage. just movie theater trash, looked like it could be fun, but in the end was typical and bland. don't watch history of violence if you can avoid it.

I don't know how they're along the same lines, either and not because one movie sucks and the other doesn't. Donnie Darko is a sci-fi/horror flick and History of Violence is a mob/hitman/hiding out flick.

I personally liked both of them a lot. History of Violence was a lot more graphic than I thought it would be which I like every now and then. The story wasn't what made it good, though, it was the execution. Can't overanlayze to much, however, because it's not that complicated of a movie. For what it was, I liked it.

History of Violence 8.5/10

Donnie Darko was just a cool flick all the way around and had an excellent soundtrack. Very confusing, but also very well made. There was a certain air to that movie that I really liked.

Donnie Darko 8.5/10
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby josebach » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:43 am

aussieboy wrote:What I don't understand is, why do movies contain so many hidden and profound meanings that only advanced movie critics and film experts are able to decipher? My brother, who is a film director (i'll go into this a bit more at a later date), highly recommended History of Violence to me, it was a candidate for best film at the last Cannes Film Festival and I think it was nominated for Academy Awards this year, yet to me it seem quite bland when I first saw it? After reading that, and some other reviews I realised how good the movie actually was. I guess i'm just disappointed that I wasn't able to understand the move for its intended meaning when I initially saw it.

I liked the movie for the reasons listed in the review, but seeing them written out is just verbose. You could use that same level of critique on almost any movie ever made, including Spiderman. There might be a lot of hidden depth and meaning in the director's mind, but you can only judge a movie by what's put on screen and what was put on screen was straight forward and direct. Overanalyzing the characters and their motivations doesn't make the movie any better, IMO.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:52 am

moonhead wrote:
bengalsfan614 wrote:

9.7/10 ;-D ;-D

i'm a big fan of David Cronenberg though, so i plan to still check out Violence, but wont be suprised if i'm disapointed

and whoever said Donnie Darko is relatively unknown...i'm not so sure...that movie has gotten alot of pub and has a huge cult following...good flick though
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:54 am

josebach wrote:
aussieboy wrote:What I don't understand is, why do movies contain so many hidden and profound meanings that only advanced movie critics and film experts are able to decipher? My brother, who is a film director (i'll go into this a bit more at a later date), highly recommended History of Violence to me, it was a candidate for best film at the last Cannes Film Festival and I think it was nominated for Academy Awards this year, yet to me it seem quite bland when I first saw it? After reading that, and some other reviews I realised how good the movie actually was. I guess i'm just disappointed that I wasn't able to understand the move for its intended meaning when I initially saw it.

I liked the movie for the reasons listed in the review, but seeing them written out is just verbose. You could use that same level of critique on almost any movie ever made, including Spiderman. There might be a lot of hidden depth and meaning in the director's mind, but you can only judge a movie by what's put on screen and what was put on screen was straight forward and direct. Overanalyzing the characters and their motivations doesn't make the movie any better, IMO.

i agree...i think that's just so film critics/teachers can have jobs. i took a film study class in college as an easy A and half the time the professor would be rambling on about some hidden symbolizm and it seemed like a real stretch to me
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The_Dude » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:43 am

Saw The Fog of War, finally!!!!, last night. It was nothing shy of incredible to watch. Here you have one of the most important figures of the 20th Century, actually explaining what happened during his successes and blunders (Robert McNamara).

I recommend to any and all history buffs. 9.5/10

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby moonhead » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:50 am

The_Dude wrote:Saw The Fog of War, finally!!!!, last night. It was nothing shy of incredible to watch. Here you have one of the most important figures of the 20th Century, actually explaining what happened during his successes and blunders (Robert McNamara).

I recommend to any and all history buffs. 9.5/10

watched this several times last summer. it was on showtime everyday, practically. a really good watch. very interesting stuff. ;-D
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk