What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby PackerAttack84 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:46 pm

Nilmerf wrote:
Canacuna wrote:
PackerAttack84 wrote:Has anybody seen Envy? I've been about to rent it a couple times, but each time there is another movie I get. What did you guys think about it?

I never saw it, but I've heard some terrible things about it. I guess it was made in 2002, but was shelved because it was pretty bad. It was only released because of Jack Black's success in School of Rock (good movie, BTW). Anyway, Ben Stiller was pretty upset that it was released - I guess he was really fighting it.

No wonder.. look at this: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/envy/

5% rating! That's incredible. A good thing to do is check Rotten Tomatoes or IMDb before renting or going to a movie theatre. It will save you hours and money. I haven't watched a bad movie in a long time! ;-D

On Rotten Tomatoes:

Ones I agree with:

Major League - 94%
Rundown - 70%
Friday Night Lights - 81%
Dodgeball - 69%
Napolean Dynamite - 71%
Anchorman - 61%
Mr. 3000 - 57%

Ones I disagree with:

Without a Paddle - 15% (up!)
Taxi - 10% (up)
White Chicks - 12% (up)
Bruce Almighty - 50% (up)
Dickie Roberts - 22% (up)
Joe Dirt - 9% (up)
Walking Tall - 26% (up)
Rush Hour 2 - 49% (up)
Coach Carter - 65% (up)
Barber Shop 2 - 70% (down)
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deluxe_247 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:53 pm

PackerAttack84 wrote:Ones I disagree with:
White Chicks - 12% (up)

c'mon man...just admit it..you like the movie cause you think they are hot ;-) :-)

deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PackerAttack84 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:55 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:
PackerAttack84 wrote:Ones I disagree with:
White Chicks - 12% (up)

c'mon man...just admit it..you like the movie cause you think they are hot ;-) :-)

The real ones are, but not them, the best part is the break dancing part, that is hilarious.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Nilmerf » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:55 pm

The only one I disagree with there is Rush Hour 2. I thought that movie was hilarious, and should've got a barely fresh tomato.. 65% or something.

Those 5-30% movies that you listed are all in the same boat though. Uninventive comedies that you'll forget about 2 hours later. There's way too many of them these days. Sure, they're okay sometimes.. but you have to remember that these critics watch movies for a living and see the same thing over and over. Thus the bad ratings.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby PackerAttack84 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:57 pm

Nilmerf wrote:The only one I disagree with there is Rush Hour 2. I thought that movie was hilarious, and should've got a barely fresh tomato.. 65% or something.

Those 5-10% movies that you listed are all in the same boat though. Uninventive comedies that you'll forget about 2 hours later. There's way too many of them these days. Sure, they're okay sometimes.. but you have to remember that these critics watch movies for a living and see the same thing over and over. Thus the bad ratings.

Yeah, those guys rating them don't exactly like movies like that I don't think, they go more for the ''Finding Neverland'' type movies then the ''White Chicks'' type movies.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Nilmerf » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:01 pm

I've never seen either of those, and I probably never will. To be honest, I barely ever see new movies. Just like popular music, good film is becoming very diluted. I always rent stuff from the IMDb top #250 and am barely ever disappointed!
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby maddog60 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:36 am

I saw "Ray" recently. I give it a 7/10. It was an outstanding performance by Jamie Foxx. He's come a long way since Booty Call. However the movie was rather sluggish at some parts, and were it not for the great acting I might have fallen asleep.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Canacuna » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:14 am

maddog60 wrote:He's come a long way since Booty Call.

Hah - I said that EXACT same thing for a review I did for Collateral a couple months ago! ;-D
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby DUKE » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:14 am

Blindly bought a movie that has been intriguing me everytime I browse my local Blockbuster's previously viewed for sale section. It's called Morvern Callar (independent). It turned out very well. I'm very glad to have bought it along with Return Of The King extended edition both for $20.00. (love the previously viewed section!) ;-D
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby deluxe_247 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:38 pm

watched sandlot. that movie cracks me up. gotta love the huge neighbor dog and the kids going through all the trouble of trying to get the autographed ball back from its yard. man i loved that movie when i was younger, and its still entertaining ;-D
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk