What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby maddog60 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:34 am

The Island - 6/10

Not nearly as bad as I thought this film would be, but not particularly good. It really was a waste of McGregor's acting talent, as the film never actually addressed some of the complex issues surrounding its plot, but it was meant to be pure action.

Shanghai Noon - 8/10

Caught this over the weekend, and it was very good. It's not a great piece of cinematography, but it delivers on what you can expect. Stylish use of songs like Aerosmith's "Back in the Saddle," a nice mix of martial arts and gun fighting action, and scenes paying tribute to great westerns like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid all make this worthwhile.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:01 am

History of Violence think i missed the origonal discussion on this, but at only 1.5 hours it moved fast enough to entertain me and had some cool violence scenes...but i could do without sex scenes between Maria Bello and Viggo. they just both look too scuzzy

7.5/10

eXistenZ keeping with the Cronenberg theme i decided to pickup eXistenZ with Jennifer Jason Leigh and Jude Law. came out around the same time as The Matrix and "made the Matrix look like childs play" (not my quote, movie tag line). anway, it's about some werid alternate reality video game gone out of control, and i've never seen anything like it. acting is terrible, and Cronenberg has his usual disgusting effects, but it was pretty cool

7/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CHE » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:09 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:History of Violence think i missed the origonal discussion on this, but at only 1.5 hours it moved fast enough to entertain me and had some cool violence scenes...but i could do without sex scenes between Maria Bello and Viggo. they just both look too scuzzy

7.5/10

I though the movie only a hour long. It went by too fast. Only crappy thing was they showed all the best parts for previews.
If you tremble indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine.- Ernesto Che Guevara
CHE
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moonhead » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:15 pm

CHE wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:History of Violence think i missed the origonal discussion on this, but at only 1.5 hours it moved fast enough to entertain me and had some cool violence scenes...but i could do without sex scenes between Maria Bello and Viggo. they just both look too scuzzy

7.5/10

I though the movie only a hour long. It went by too fast. Only crappy thing was they showed all the best parts for previews.

i hated that movie. i've talked about it before. the best parts were the sex scenes. other than that it was bland and predictable. but a lot of people liked it. i didn't. and that's ok. because i'm good enough, smart, enough, and doggone it...people like me. (i think)
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:54 pm

V for Vendetta

Pretty damn cool movie. Reminds you of a lot of stuff (1984, Fahrenheit 451, Phantom of the Opera, Zorro, Equilibrium), but there are a ton of modern parallels in it as well. Pretty daring parallels if you ask me.

8.5/10
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:02 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:V for Vendetta

Pretty damn cool movie. Reminds you of a lot of stuff (1984, Fahrenheit 451, Phantom of the Opera, Zorro, Equilibrium), but there are a ton of modern parallels in it as well. Pretty daring parallels if you ask me.

8.5/10

I liked it too, although it wasn't nearly as action-packed as I thought it would be. What action it did have was very well done, however. For whatever reason, I just couldn't get into it. I need to watch it again with tapered expectations. Upon the 1st viewing I'll give it a

7.5/10
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:12 pm

I saw Domino the other day. I liked it a lot, even though it got confusing at times. It was a movie I'd recommend.

8/10.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:34 pm

Just saw Equilibrium for the first time. I must say, it's one of the finer science fiction movies I've seen in some time. Tremendous action sequences, strong acting from Christian Bale and Emily Watson and a very interesting plot. I dare say, I liked it almost as much as I liked the Matrix when I first saw it back in '99. I'm sure with more viewing, I'll end up liking it even more. It's a bit slow in some parts, but the action scenes sparkle. I'm sure my rating will climb after a second viewing, but I'd give it an 8/10
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dirt Bag » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:09 am

Saw Brothers Grimm tonight...it was suprisingly good...i had no idea what it would be about...highly recommended for everyone!

10/10
Dirt Bag
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:52 am

point break

wow. this was before keanu reeves could pass for an actor. lori petty still sucks. gary busey is ridiculous. and patrick swayze is good. i don't believe i just said that. but seriously, these bozos make swayze look good. but how hard can it be to play a surfer/bank robber?

this whole movie was preposterous. terrible plot, terrible acting, and terrible research on law enforcement procedures. but it did keep me entertained for 1.5 hours or so.

5.5/10
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk