What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:42 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Just saw Equilibrium for the first time. I must say, it's one of the finer science fiction movies I've seen in some time. Tremendous action sequences, strong acting from Christian Bale and Emily Watson and a very interesting plot. I dare say, I liked it almost as much as I liked the Matrix when I first saw it back in '99. I'm sure with more viewing, I'll end up liking it even more. It's a bit slow in some parts, but the action scenes sparkle. I'm sure my rating will climb after a second viewing, but I'd give it an 8/10

I just looked up the synopsis on Yahoo b/c of your review and it definately sounds interesting. I'm gonna try and rent it this week and give it a watch. Just from the synopsis, it sounds like a cross between the Matrix(I loved the first one) and Minority Report.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:47 pm

jayday wrote:Saw Deliverance the other night....

Wow, what a creepy movie...I don't even know what to say....Anyone who hasn't seen it should check it out though..

yeah the movie is good but the book is much better. But that's how most books ot movies translate.

"You gots a purty mouth"
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:53 pm

J2thez929 wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Just saw Equilibrium for the first time. I must say, it's one of the finer science fiction movies I've seen in some time. Tremendous action sequences, strong acting from Christian Bale and Emily Watson and a very interesting plot. I dare say, I liked it almost as much as I liked the Matrix when I first saw it back in '99. I'm sure with more viewing, I'll end up liking it even more. It's a bit slow in some parts, but the action scenes sparkle. I'm sure my rating will climb after a second viewing, but I'd give it an 8/10

I just looked up the synopsis on Yahoo b/c of your review and it definately sounds interesting. I'm gonna try and rent it this week and give it a watch. Just from the synopsis, it sounds like a cross between the Matrix(I loved the first one) and Minority Report.

The biggest difference between the Matrix and Equilibrium is that in the Matrix, Neo had supernatural powers. Christian Bale in Equilibrium is a regular human. With that being said, if you like movies that have 30 guys all shooting with fully automatic weapons at one guy in the middle of a room with no cover and everyone of them misses, I highly recommend this movie also.

If you liked Commando, you'll love this one.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:13 pm

josebach wrote:With that being said, if you like movies that have 30 guys all shooting with fully automatic weapons at one guy in the middle of a room with no cover and everyone of them misses, I highly recommend this movie also.

God, that's the truth. I just watched Commando again and never fully realized just how amazing Arnie is in that one. Twenty armed guys all shooting at Arnie running away and all miss. Simply amazing. :-b
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:28 pm

In Comando, one of the funniest /cheesiest, crap there really are too many, but when he's blowing up the barracks near the end and there's like siloute cut outs of guards near the buildings, and when the buildings blow they don't move cause there stuck in the ground :-t
Last edited by Redskins Win on Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jayday » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:34 pm

Just watched Jarhead...It had its moments that I liked, but other parts of it were just about unwatchable....

I guess I was expecting your typical war movie and got a film about a platoon of 20-year old degenerates who really didn't do a whole helluva lot...

I KNOW this film was not representative of the military as a whole....but I thought this film was extremely off base and exaggerated in most of its content....

Am I alone? Was there anyone who really enjoyed it?
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby CHE » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:10 pm

jayday wrote:Just watched Jarhead...It had its moments that I liked, but other parts of it were just about unwatchable....

I guess I was expecting your typical war movie and got a film about a platoon of 20-year old degenerates who really didn't do a whole helluva lot...

I KNOW this film was not representative of the military as a whole....but I thought this film was extremely off base and exaggerated in most of its content....

Am I alone? Was there anyone who really enjoyed it?

It was never consider a war movie. Critics even said, if you are expecting a savin g private ryan type of movie dont go see it.

I saw a movie with Tyrese a couple weeks ago about the navy, that was even worst then Jarhead. The whole plot was pretty much about boxing ;-7
If you tremble indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine.- Ernesto Che Guevara
CHE
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:34 pm

josebach wrote:
J2thez929 wrote:

The biggest difference between the Matrix and Equilibrium is that in the Matrix, Neo had supernatural powers. Christian Bale in Equilibrium is a regular human. With that being said, if you like movies that have 30 guys all shooting with fully automatic weapons at one guy in the middle of a room with no cover and everyone of them misses, I highly recommend this movie also.

But Christian Bale knew the Gun Kata. He was moving at a ridiculous speed in close quarters. If you are talking about the opening scene, it's pitch black and the clerics are HIGHLY trained.

In Commando, Arnold stays stationary in broad daylight...with an entire field of guys firing at him with automatic weapons, hand grenades, rocket launchers, etc.

Equilibrium is not like Commando at all. It's more like Fahrenheit 451, 1984, V for Vendetta, etc. A totalitarian dystopia that faces a uprising.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:48 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:
josebach wrote:
J2thez929 wrote:

But Christian Bale knew the Gun Kata. He was moving at a ridiculous speed in close quarters. If you are talking about the opening scene, it's pitch black and the clerics are HIGHLY trained.

In Commando, Arnold stays stationary in broad daylight...with an entire field of guys firing at him with automatic weapons, hand grenades, rocket launchers, etc.

Equilibrium is not like Commando at all. It's more like Fahrenheit 451, 1984, V for Vendetta, etc. A totalitarian dystopia that faces a uprising.

The scene I was referring to happened close to the end of a movie. Christian Bale was running back and forth across a well lit hallway and single handedly killed about 20 guys without any cover while they were all shooting at him with machine guns. I can appreciate a little poetic license, but that scene was just plain ridiculous. Even in Commando they didn't have that many people shooting at Arnold all at once.

I grew up shooting and have some experience shooting IPSC and steel plates and when I see shootouts that silly it kind of ruins the movie for me. Other than that scene, it was a pretty decent movie I guess.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Payne Dailey » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:30 pm

and

Thanks Encore.
Payne Dailey
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk