What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mikus » Fri May 26, 2006 12:20 pm

X-Men 3: The Last Stand

Incredible movie. I saw it last night at midnight (the first official showing). Anyone who goes to the movie, STAY AFTER THE CREDITS!!!
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby ironman » Fri May 26, 2006 2:11 pm

Here's a rundown of what I've recently seen on Netflix. It takes us forever to sit down and actually watch our rentals so none of these are overly new and may have been reviewed once before.

Lord of War - 7 out of 10 - Pretty good movie, kept me entertained the entire time. Not real uplifting.

A History of Violence - 2 out of 10 - Just a waste of time. Complete and utter garbage. Paper-thin plot with very little substance and gratuitous violence. I realize this was adapted from a graphic novel but it still seemed like the gore was a bit overdone.

Constant Gardener - 8 out of 10 - A little slow-moving at times but overall an excellent film. Wonderfully acted and beautifully shot. I should probably see City of God eventually.

North Country - 6 out of 10 - I don't have much to say here. It was a decent movie. Nothing I'd watch over again.

Good Night and Good Luck - 8 out of 10 - Don't watch this if you're feeling sleepy. My wife was out like a light after 20 minutes. I stayed up and enjoyed it. Its probably best its only 90 minutes long. If it was 2 hours it would've become a huge snoozer.
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moonhead » Fri May 26, 2006 2:28 pm

ironman wrote:A History of Violence - 2 out of 10 - Just a waste of time. Complete and utter garbage. Paper-thin plot with very little substance and gratuitous violence. I realize this was adapted from a graphic novel but it still seemed like the gore was a bit overdone.

i've been fighting this fight since i saw this movie. everyone loves it. i thought it was terrible. i'm not questioning your intelligence or anything if you like this movie, but i would have been better off going to the dentist or doing something excruciating.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri May 26, 2006 2:30 pm

moonhead wrote:
ironman wrote:A History of Violence - 2 out of 10 - Just a waste of time. Complete and utter garbage. Paper-thin plot with very little substance and gratuitous violence. I realize this was adapted from a graphic novel but it still seemed like the gore was a bit overdone.

i've been fighting this fight since i saw this movie. everyone loves it. i thought it was terrible. i'm not questioning your intelligence or anything if you like this movie, but i would have been better off going to the dentist or doing something excruciating.

wow. Cronenberg's definately not for everyone
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moonhead » Fri May 26, 2006 2:37 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
moonhead wrote:

it has very little to do with direction...it was just the story. boring, predictable, tired, weak, slow, pointless, regurgitated, etc., ad nauseum. the gratuitous sex and violence was in the movie because the rest of it was so bad that people would lose interest without some prodding of their senses.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri May 26, 2006 4:48 pm

Just saw X3 and I thought it was a very nice addition to the series. Many new characters and the loss of some old one's too, so hardcore fans may feel a bit jaded by the film. Though, I'm under the impression that the movies never stayed true to the books at all anyways. In any case, great action sequences, nice story development. All in all, I think it's very deserving of being a part of the X-men series of films. Though the title hints that this is the last installment of the series, they leave the end very open for a fourth.

9/10 ;-D
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Fri May 26, 2006 5:59 pm

moonhead wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
moonhead wrote:

it has very little to do with direction...it was just the story. boring, predictable, tired, weak, slow, pointless, regurgitated, etc., ad nauseum. the gratuitous sex and violence was in the movie because the rest of it was so bad that people would lose interest without some prodding of their senses.

Tru dat. That movie sucked.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri May 26, 2006 6:04 pm

mikus wrote:X-Men 3: The Last Stand
STAY AFTER THE CREDITS!!!

DOH!!!!

there were so many people in the theatre last night it was insanely hot, so when the credits started rolling i got out as quick as i could. now im wondering what i missed! 8-o :~(
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat May 27, 2006 12:24 am

Sixxgunn wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Image

As a big fan of the film, Blade Runner, I've always liked Rutger Hauer. His smooth delivery and charm made him a perfect foil to Harrison Ford's Deckard. Over the years, I'd always hoped to see Hauer make a return to the big screen, so I was very pleased to see him featured in Sin City and Batman Begins. One of the last big screen feature roles that Hauer took on before he starred in a string of "direct-to-video" flicks was 1987's Wanted: Dead or Alive.

For those of you that have never seen the film, it's not exactly Lethal Weapon, but it is one of the more underappreciated action films of the decade. Hauer plays a lone wolf type who makes his living as a bounty hunter, working for the police department on the side. After a string of terrorist incidents plague Los Angeles, Hauer is called upon to find the man repsonsible, played by KISS bassist, Gene Simmons. Simmons hardly says much during the film, and it's no small wonder. As much as I like Simmons as a rock star, he's a far cry from anything resembling an actor. However, he's easy to hate just based on his heartlessness throughout the film.

The movie has many great action sequences, including a great finale that boasts one of the most explosive endings to a film I've ever seen. Those of you that have seen this one know what I'm talking about. ;-) I'm really rather surprised Hauer never caught on as an action star after seeing this film. He's such a slick actor with a very unique style. It's almost criminal he wasn't used more as an anti-hero or villain throughout the 90's.

Though there were slow points in the film, the great action sequences and Hauer's character made the film worth while. I'd certainly recommend it to anyone who's a fan of the genre, or Hauer for that matter.

7/10

You know DD, I think we have alot in common. I too enjoy Hauer and have always been perplexed by his lack of stardom. He did several low-budget films, but I remember The Hitcher and one called Blind Faith, or Blind Justice or something like that where he was a blind crime fighter type of dude. This guy rocks and it's a shame he's too old to really get good action roles anymore. However, I think you may have brought to my attention the perfect leading man to play Hannibal in my fantasy A-Team movie!

Nice! I could see Hauer playing Hannibal Smith in an A-Team movie. Very inspired casting there. Yeah, I do recall Bling Justice and it wasn't a bad film at all. Just not something I remember seeing in the theaters at all. I'm sure it was just the beginning of a long line of b-movies that went direct-to-video at the time. Even though he's not going to ever be an action star, it's still nice to see he's getting his due these days. I've seen a lot more mainstream films with him, like the aforementioned Batman Begins and Sin City. I'll be keeping a close eye on his IMDB page for upcoming films. ;-D
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Sun May 28, 2006 11:51 pm

He made a good vampire too in the newer release of Salem's Lot with Rob Lowe.

I hope a Dark Tower movie comes though it will probably never do the books justice
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk