What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby ironman » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:11 am

Two more movies from me on my belated Netflix queue.

Jarhead - 8 out of 10
Squid and the Whale - 7 out of 10
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bagobonez » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:14 pm

Saw STAY ALIVE the other day. 5/10. Good idea, just not executed all that well.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby logan » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:12 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
onnestabe wrote:I went to see the new Xmen movie this weekend. I thought it was very good, but I didn't really like some of the story (I can't comment on it since I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't seen it yet).

Also, I don't like that they made Juggernaut a mutant, and they showed that Beast's blue coloration was part of his mutant-ness. In the comic book, Juggernaut's powers are derived from a mystical stone, and Beast is blue because of a science experiment gone awry. Beast's powers make him hairier than most and give him great agility, but they don't make him blue. I suppose the reason they did this is to have the movie appeal more to those that aren't long-time fans of the comics, but nonetheless, as a long-time fan of the comics, I didn't like those parts. (Also, I don't know the Phoenix sagas that well, but I thought Jean Grey's phoenix powers were of some alien origin, not locked away inside her?)

All-in-all, I give it an 8/10. The story and effects were very good, but it would have been a 10/10 had they stuck more to some of the original stuff, and the story issues I cannot mention.

yeah, Phoenix was an alien entity, but it's kind of hard to have the X-men go visit some alien world and explain all that

well while the original story was written that way the new ultimate line had changed it to being a part of her from childhood so it isn't that much of a stretch for people who have read the newer retelling of the origin of the xmen. just figured i'd throw my .02 cents in.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Canacuna » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:14 pm

I watched One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest last night. One of my faves...
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Jimboozie » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:18 pm

Alkaholik wrote:Grandma's Boy

I heard it sucked terribly and since i already had it downloaded on divx i gave it a try and shockingly made it through halfway before i turned it off......Boooooooo :-t

There should be a warning on the main menu of Grandma's boy --- Do not attempt to watch unless stoned out of your skull!

ironman wrote:Two more movies from me on my belated Netflix queue.

Jarhead - 8 out of 10

Jarhead was real good. Not a fan of Jake Douchenhall but he didn't bother me much in this one. Thumbs up here. ;-D
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:50 pm

Jimboozie wrote:
Alkaholik wrote:Grandma's Boy

I heard it sucked terribly and since i already had it downloaded on divx i gave it a try and shockingly made it through halfway before i turned it off......Boooooooo :-t

There should be a warning on the main menu of Grandma's boy --- Do not attempt to watch unless stoned out of your skull!

I've described this as the best and absolute worst movie of all time. It's painful to watch just how stupid this movie is ... but then again, I don't have robot eyes. :-b

Jimboozie wrote:

Jarhead - 8 out of 10

Jarhead was real good. Not a fan of Jake Douchenhall but he didn't bother me much in this one. Thumbs up here. ;-D

Haven't seen this yet, but I read the book. It was ... interesting to say the least. I'll see it eventually.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby WickedSmaat » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:03 am

no1cowboysfan wrote:
Jimboozie wrote:

Jarhead - 8 out of 10

Haven't seen this yet, but I read the book. It was ... interesting to say the least. I'll see it eventually.

I really liked Jarhead too. I'll probably look to buy it on DVD. I usually don't do that nowadays if I didn't think it was great.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby louisianacajunsam » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:00 am

man, i never smoke the cheeva....and grandma's boy, harold and kumar go to whitecastly, and half-baked are all easily in my top 15 favorite movies....

grandma's boy had me laughing my ass off....how could you not laugh at the jokes in that movie??? especially when monkeys driving the car
louisianacajunsam
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Tiki » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:37 pm

I saw The Omen last night....Terrible..Four jumps scenes otherwise the movie wsan't scary in the least bit. !+)

4/10
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:45 pm

Tiki wrote:I saw The Omen last night....Terrible..Four jumps scenes otherwise the movie wsan't scary in the least bit. !+)

4/10

i think it's recreated scene for scene from the original. did you see the original first?
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk